Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 09:54 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,795,417 times

Advertisements

Matthew 10:38 NRS

"whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me."

I am sure there are many different ways to interpret this saying but there is only one that is correct.

What Jesus meant by this is extremely important though it is not often discussed.

What makes you worthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 10:38 AM

310 posts, read 263,189 times
NKJV Scholastic Commentary: 10:38. Taking up a cross stands for commitment to the extent of being willing to die for for something.

and,

not worthy of Me: Those who will be glorified suffered for Him (see Rom. 8:17, 2 Tim. 2:12). Those who refuse that kind of discipleship will experience great loss (see 1 Cor. 3:15; Rev. 3:11, 12).

Old 05-27-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlyservant View Post
NKJV Scholastic Commentary: 10:38. Taking up a cross stands for commitment to the extent of being willing to die for for something.

and,

not worthy of Me: Those who will be glorified suffered for Him (see Rom. 8:17, 2 Tim. 2:12). Those who refuse that kind of discipleship will experience great loss (see 1 Cor. 3:15; Rev. 3:11, 12).
That is their take on it but scripture says everyone must be taught by God.

Jesus said those that follow Him abide in His word and are sent as He was sent. In order to be sent as He was sent one must use His words.

The words are the cross.

"As it is written and the son of man says;

"Anyone who rejects me and does not accept my words he already has his judge namely the words I have spoken that's what will condemn him on the last day.

The man who comes to me hears my word and uses it."

Old 05-28-2017, 04:56 AM

15,929 posts, read 6,390,359 times
Have you found anyone worthy?

Old 05-28-2017, 08:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,477,686 times
I and everyone else are worthy of everything the Father wants for us and
that is all for good...He adores us.
Just as the sun shines on the criminal and the saint...

Old 05-28-2017, 09:05 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,277,958 times
Concepts such as "being worthy" divide people into "us" and "them." Religions have a tendency to do that.

As history has demonstrated since man invented gods, it's easier to reject, discriminate against and kill a "them."

Old 05-28-2017, 09:35 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,437,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Concepts such as "being worthy" divide people into "us" and "them." Religions have a tendency to do that.

As history has demonstrated since man invented gods, it's easier to reject, discriminate against and kill a "them."
Sadly true.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:02 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,184,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post

I am sure there are many different ways to interpret this saying but there is only one that is correct.

What Jesus meant by this is extremely important though it is not often discussed.

What makes you worthy?

Since ALL have sinned and fallen short of Gods standard NONE of us are worthy on our own. We ALL are saved by the grace and mercy of Jesus who didn't have to allow anyone into His kingdom. I am FREELY GIVEN an imputed righteousness when through faith I believe the Gospel of Grace (different than the gospel of the Kingdom) given to Paul AFTER the cross, and all of us will be judged by our adherence to this:

1Co 15:1 Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand,
1Co 15:2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.
1Co 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures,
1Co 15:4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,

Take God at His word and believe this gospel and you become as if you had never sinned, the Holy Spirit will come to live in you (His power) and you will be guaranteed eternal life with our Savior........

As an aside if you take the "take up your cross" literally then you may become one of those that gets ceremonially "nailed" to a cross every Easter, which may look super "religious" to some but in fact counts as nothing and is really an insult to the work done by Jesus..................NONE of us are qualified or Holy enough to save anyone, and our shed sinful blood counts for nothing............

Old 05-28-2017, 11:37 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,393,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post

What makes you worthy?
Jesus nor any spiritually inclined person would consider themselves to someone to be worthy of.

What makes me worrthy?.

Being conscious and convinced that God sees himself in all of us.... Have you heard the saying "chip of the old block" ?. Hope this lifts you up not puffs you up.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Have you found anyone worthy?
The prophets.

It is written;

"The Lord God does nothing without revealing His secrets to His servants, the prophets."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity