Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 11:43 AM

258 posts, read 790,531 times

Advertisements

Question;This is kindof embarrasing but I am really wondering if it is a sin to masturbate. I have asked this before and almost everyone tells me it's nothing to worry about but I guess it's still bugging my conscience or I wouldn't be asking again, so I was hoping you could maybe tell me something about this. Thanks.

Answer; While this is not mentioned in the Bible as being a sin, other things taught throughout the Scriptures can give us direction and the answers that we seek. In this matter we need to look first at the fruitage of the spirit that we are to cultivate within us. One of these fruits is self-control. Self-control is a very valuable asset, in many ways. 2Pet says "Supply to your faith, virtue, to your virtue, knowledge, to your knowledge, self-control, to your self-control, endurance, to your endurance, godly devotion, to your godly devotion, brotherly affection, to your brotherly affection, love." All of these qualities intermesh and fortify the other.

Looking at these fruits, Gal 5:22-23 reads; "The fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self control" Paul further goes on to explain, (24) "those who belong to Christ Jesus impaled the flesh together with it's passions and desires. If we are living by spirit let us go on walking orderly also by spirit." Sexual appetite is a desire of the flesh, not of the spirit, so this text is clear that those who belong to Christ must impale, so to speak, their fleshly desires. "Keep on walking by spirit and you will carry out no fleshly desire at all. For flesh is against the spirit and the spirit against the flesh; for these are opposed to to each other, so that the very things you would like do, you do not do." (Gal5:16-17/Rom 7:4-6, 7:14-25) It is not always easy to get control over any desire of the flesh, as these texts illustrate. Paul speaks of this struggle to gain self control as pummelling his body and leading it as a slave. (1Cor 9:24-27) However, if it very is hard for you to gain control over the flesh, God can give you a "power beyond what is normal," (2Cor 4:7) It is appropriate to ask God, repeatedly if necessary, for His help in overcoming these fleshly desires and attaining such self-control. James 1:6 says "...let him keep on asking in faith, not doubting at all," and Matt 11:24 says "This is why I tell you, all the things you pray and ask for, have faith that you have practically received, and you will have them.

[Footnote Scripture; "If they do not have self control, let them marry, for it is better to marry than to be inflamed with passion." (1Cor 7:9, 32-28) Notice that it does not site masturbation as a relief for being inflamed with passion, but to marry. [It is also noteworthy to see that a lack of self control would be an identifying mark of the traits marking those living during the last days. (2Tim3:1-7)]

Old 08-10-2008, 10:12 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Yes, it is.

No, It's not.

Last edited by Katsmeeyow; 08-10-2008 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: puncuation

Old 08-10-2008, 10:16 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post
Question;This is kindof embarrasing but I am really wondering if it is a sin to masturbate. I have asked this before and almost everyone tells me it's nothing to worry about but I guess it's still bugging my conscience or I wouldn't be asking again, so I was hoping you could maybe tell me something about this. Thanks.

Answer; While this is not mentioned in the Bible as being a sin, other things taught throughout the Scriptures can give us direction and the answers that we seek. In this matter we need to look first at the fruitage of the spirit that we are to cultivate within us. One of these fruits is self-control. Self-control is a very valuable asset, in many ways. 2Pet says "Supply to your faith, virtue, to your virtue, knowledge, to your knowledge, self-control, to your self-control, endurance, to your endurance, godly devotion, to your godly devotion, brotherly affection, to your brotherly affection, love." All of these qualities intermesh and fortify the other.

Looking at these fruits, Gal 5:22-23 reads; "The fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self control" Paul further goes on to explain, (24) "those who belong to Christ Jesus impaled the flesh together with it's passions and desires. If we are living by spirit let us go on walking orderly also by spirit." Sexual appetite is a desire of the flesh, not of the spirit, so this text is clear that those who belong to Christ must impale, so to speak, their fleshly desires. "Keep on walking by spirit and you will carry out no fleshly desire at all. For flesh is against the spirit and the spirit against the flesh; for these are opposed to to each other, so that the very things you would like do, you do not do." (Gal5:16-17/Rom 7:4-6, 7:14-25) It is not always easy to get control over any desire of the flesh, as these texts illustrate. Paul speaks of this struggle to gain self control as pummelling his body and leading it as a slave. (1Cor 9:24-27) However, if it very is hard for you to gain control over the flesh, God can give you a "power beyond what is normal," (2Cor 4:7) It is appropriate to ask God, repeatedly if necessary, for His help in overcoming these fleshly desires and attaining such self-control. James 1:6 says "...let him keep on asking in faith, not doubting at all," and Matt 11:24 says "This is why I tell you, all the things you pray and ask for, have faith that you have practically received, and you will have them.

[Footnote Scripture; "If they do not have self control, let them marry, for it is better to marry than to be inflamed with passion." (1Cor 7:9, 32-28) Notice that it does not site masturbation as a relief for being inflamed with passion, but to marry. [It is also noteworthy to see that a lack of self control would be an identifying mark of the traits marking those living during the last days. (2Tim3:1-7)]
Jesus always spoke to the nature of the heart...with hate and love and such...
the motivation of the heart...
my take is this....

if its done as a 'release' every now and again purely to avoid insanity...eh

but it its done to replace your lover, or if u become ur own lover.....
then I'd say it falls under self-control, love of self and the sinful flesh desires...

of course if its done in front of the poor computer monitor with na_ed pictures ....well then...I'd say your totally sinning.....

Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
It is not a sin. But many are very uncomfortable with their body and sexual nature and will say otherwise. Be free of the guilt you are loved by God ....even if you masterbate :-)

Hello! I agree. Come on, guys! The original poster must have been really thinking about this subject to approach it here. He seems to be anyhow. I think (my opinion ) that he just needed to know he isn't doing something really "bad" etc.

Impure thoughts? Come on! We all have impure thoughts at one time or another, and let's face it, if he was some kind of "evil" guy or whatever, he would not have bothered asking, would he?

Cut some slack! My God might be a Jealous God, but he is not a petty or vindictive one!

Just my opinion. Not trying to "start" anything! OK?

Old 08-11-2008, 05:27 PM

658 posts, read 831,083 times
Genesis 38

[9] And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.
[10] And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

God not pleased=sin.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedByTheGrace View Post
is masturbation a sin?

what do you guys think? any input will be appreciated.
Hi -

Why must a guy be the one answering? I, as a woman feel (and know), that masturbation is a healthy outlet for BOTH men and women who are seeking sexual pleasure.

Sometimes, even when you have a partner, there are times that masturbating is acceptable and a turn-on to your partner.

It's a shame that anyone in 2008 looks at masturbation as a sin.

My parents were open about sexual discussions and that made it possible for me to understand and feel the way that I feel.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:31 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
Genesis 38

[9] And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.
[10] And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

God not pleased=sin.
Yes, according to a biblethumper, of course.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:41 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Only God can name new sins.

In this case God never names M a sin.

I am a man, I do not have the authority to name new sins. Nor do you have such authority.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:15 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Masturbation in of itself is not a sin BUT It is pretty impossible to masturbate without thoughts of lusting after someone and that is adultery in the heart therefore it becomes a sin.

Unless you are masturbating thinking of your spouse then it's ok only if you are fantasizing of things they only do, if it's things that they would never do then again you are sinning

Old 09-05-2008, 08:03 AM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Masturbation in of itself is not a sin BUT It is pretty impossible to masturbate without thoughts of lusting after someone and that is adultery in the heart therefore it becomes a sin.

Whereas the Bible defines and limits adultery.

To have sex with another man's wife or daughter, seems to be the definition from Lev. and Deut.

The Old testament also added coveting after that other man's wife or daughter.

Jesus confirmed all of this.

So where do you, or any man get the privilege to add onto these well established laws and principles?

I have a wife. She is mine. I can lust after her all I want to and it is not a Biblical sin.

Look at how many times lust, desire, wanting are used in the Bible. They are used many times. they are used primarily in positive situations.

Lusting of itself is not a bad thing.

Like a gun. A gun is not a bad thing. It is a thing, it can be used for good or for bad.

Lusting can be in a good context or a bad context.

Folks need to read the Bible more often.

Only God gets to define sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity