Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 12:30 PM

23,144 posts, read 10,445,085 times

Advertisements

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
lol.
Goat and sheep are almost interchangeable here!
Unless of course there is a false teacher, or a wolf dressed up in sheep's clothing!
that is the thing, there ARE 2.

When tells us to be innocent as doves and wise as serpents, he is speaking of the spirit from heaven in your left eye, depicted as a bird from heaven. When he speaks of the serpent, he is referrencing the fact of there being a serpent in everyone's right eye, even Jesus. That is why people had to look at a dead snake on a pole to be saved, it is a part of what all humans are, the dead snake is a person who overcame the desires of the flesh in the right eye.

We were all born with a raven in our left eye, an unclean spirit.

Then Jesus was born, and the difference was that Jesus wasnt born with the fallen spirit of the first Adam, he was born with power in his left eye, and a stork was there until the father said to him, '' Today you are my son,'' and Jesus was sent a spirit from heaven as dove symbolising a renewed left eye.

Then there were others who were also given a renewed spirit where it might be said, ''wise as serpents and innocent as doves....

The kingdoms of the eyes SHOULD BE IN A BITTER ONGOING CIVIL WAR, they should fight each other, kingdom against kingdom, but that is not how it usually is. The serpent killer will pet the serpent and they agree to sin and become friends.

There are many ways to symbolize these two kingdoms, Jesus separating goat kingdom from the sheep kingdom is just speaking of the day of division where EVERYONE will be divided.

A person assumes he is not the goat, but he is insinuating that he doesnt sin, and he has never sinned before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 03:28 PM

19,709 posts, read 20,240,448 times
People Getting Offended Just By Hearing The Gospel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJDUQ6yT_hg

Wow...just....wow

Old 02-22-2020, 04:54 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,154,662 times
I'm a bit embarrassed by street preaching. I'm not against the message - well, at least many times - but the attitude and the delivery.

It makes the person chattering act as though what they say is somehow above what everyone else might say or think. But we're all on the same level, with our own paths and destinies, and no one has any advantage of knowledge over anyone else.

It also cheapens the Gospel, as if it needs speaking for itself, and has to be pushed on others, as though it can't hold it's own (which it does). People should feel a need internally to be drawn to it and seek it out, not the street preaching approach of being told to go to it by others in a pushing style from outside oneself.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:43 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Late to this thread, but it really depends on the circumstances of the preaching. There are some serious whackjobs out there, shouting notions that are antithetical to what Christ taught. In that sense, street preaching does not advance Christianity in the world, but instead depicts our faith as the province of loud and boastful lunatics haranguing passersby.

Christianity spread like wildfire throughout the ancient Mediterranean, despite heavy repression by the Romans. Want to know how it happened? For the most part, one quiet conversation at a time. There were no Pray-a-thons or packed stadiums. And standing in the Roman marketplace shouting at the top of your lungs was a surefire way to get thrown into prison or into the Collisseum with a few lions. And yet Christianity spread.

For example. Take the symbol of Christianity, the fish. Two simple curved lines. If you encountered someone you thought was a Christian in a marketplace, you drew one line of the fish with your foot in the dirt. The second person would draw the second line, completing the symbol. Then you erased it and went somewhere private for your conversation.

And the word 'conversation' is key here. That's the problem with people bellowing out the Word, or at least their interpretation of it. There's no conversation in it. It's all one-way, delivered in the most aggressive way possible. It instead reduces God's love to little more than noise, a sustained and artless advertising jingle. You might as well be flogging cigarettes or Buicks.

Christ actually spoke to this need for public piety, by the way, in the Sermon on the Mount. He told us to beware of people praying aloud in the streets. Instead, when he sent his disciples out in the world, he counseled them to simply knock on doors and speak to people one on one.

Want to be a street preacher? Actions speak louder than words. Feed the hungry. Clothe the naked. Treat the sick. Speak out against injustice. Counsel the lonely and the afflicted. Doing those things will speak louder--and more eloquently--than any words shouted through a megaphone.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 02-23-2020 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-23-2020, 08:05 AM

1,183 posts, read 536,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
People Getting Offended Just By Hearing The Gospel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJDUQ6yT_hg

Wow...just....wow
Very interesting. Some thoughts.

Although I agree with the message and I admire the bold preacher, the bystander does have a point. Why does he have to listen to something that he deems offensive? The microphone can cause unneeded disruption. Just as Christians have to see and hear wicked things from the secular world 24X7, does that mean that the heathens be forced to listen to good and holy things?

I think it is good that the preacher is sharing the Good News. And, the Message is considered upsetting by many. But we all must tread carefully and not be offensive by our actions.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Very interesting. Some thoughts.

Although I agree with the message and I admire the bold preacher, the bystander does have a point. Why does he have to listen to something that he deems offensive? The microphone can cause unneeded disruption. Just as Christians have to see and hear wicked things from the secular world 24X7, does that mean that the heathens be forced to listen to good and holy things?

I think it is good that the preacher is sharing the Good News. And, the Message is considered upsetting by many. But we all must tread carefully and not be offensive by our actions.

Remember, of course, that this video was offered from the perspective of the street preacher. We don't know how, why, or when it all went down.

Personally, if I'm just trying to go about my business on a city street, I'd be offended by someone shouting at me with the assistance of a microphone and speakers--regardless of what they're saying. It's an invasion of someone's privacy and peace.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:18 AM

1,146 posts, read 648,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneVanderbilt View Post
I admire some of these folks that go out there and preach the word of God. I remember when working in Boston in my late teens (decades ago) riding the Green line every day and at Government Center there would be the same young street preacher in the train station, reading the word and exhorting everyone to repent and turn away from sin since time is running short and judgment awaits. I thought him very bold and brave to do this. People would ignore him and even look contemptuously at him as they hurried out of the train station. Still, I believe that Boston street preacher's words planted seeds in all who disregarded him, brushed past him, etc. I can tell you, I thought about the words he was saying off and on throughout my day at work. I think it's an important part of evangelizing, but don't you think some of these well-meaning street preachers come across as hostile sometimes?

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voNz9CS_SeQ

If only he had tempered his rant with the love and mercy of God the Father. Not condoning sin, but balancing his message. Why not ask these young people if they're tired of carrying the burden of sin around? Why not tell them there is One who has taken that burden for us--who has laid down his life and was the perfect sacrifice? I feel for him but he's not winning anyone over. Then again these are actually university students, not 13 year olds!

Have you run into any street preachers lately? What was your experience?
We live in the midst of a hedonistic pretentious dying society.

A gospel of forgiveness and soft-soap will not be received or regarded with anything approaching respect. Our citizens have had a belly full of positive smiling cotton-candy liars who only want to sell us their shoddy stuff so as to get their filthy hands in our pockets. They do not and will not hear it.

A message of consideration for the consequences of one's behavior is wise, as well as different in tone and theme. At the least its' different tone may be heard by a few - if only for them to ruminate on later in the day. Unfortunately among a generation of fools it will not be heard. Nevertheless, God does call some men to voice the Word.

Americans today detest ANY hint of righteousness or repentance. They consider the gospel HATE LANGUAGE because they are so deeply into SIN DEBAUCHERY and LICENTIOUSNESS. Remember, righteousness and SIN are mortal enemies. The Bible says so. Even those that hate God's Word will admit it.

Americans hate truth and embrace violence as entertainment, international murder as patriotism and political obfuscation as something to be encouraged.

Our nation is beyond hope of reform.

Indeed the entire planet is under imminent threat of divine judgment even as these words are being written and read. Justice shall visit America and it will not visit well. Prayers for individual mercy will be heard, but not prayers for national prosperity and power. God no longer hears prayers on behalf of America.

IF GOD DOES NOT JUDGE AMERICA HE WILL HAVE TO APOLOGIZE TO SODOM AND GOMORRAH.

"Gott mit uns," was a religious slogan commonly repeated in 1930's Germany. Loosely translated it means, "God is with us." Sound familiar? The slogan was printed on banners above a photograph of Hitler in the foreground and a cathedral in the background. Those who wrap the cross in their national flag invite disaster. God is not a respecter of nations or kings. Despite the propaganda, did God bless Germany for its murder and international aggression? God judged Germany even as He shall judge us. God doesn't respect American propaganda any more than He respected Nazi slogans.

God will not bless America any more. Read your newspapers and watch the TV news. Do you see blessings or a continual series of reversals and curses? THINK.

Stupidity is not a virtue, but Americans live it as the founding principle of their lives.

REPENT. The end is indeed closer than any of us realize. We are all of us sinners and we are all desperately in need of God's forgiveness and wisdom and saving grace. To refuse it is not wise.

But who said Americans are wise?

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 02-23-2020, 09:23 AM

1,183 posts, read 536,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Remember, of course, that this video was offered from the perspective of the street preacher. We don't know how, why, or when it all went down.

Personally, if I'm just trying to go about my business on a city street, I'd be offended by someone shouting at me with the assistance of a microphone and speakers--regardless of what they're saying. It's an invasion of someone's privacy and peace.
I think I echoed this sentiment in my post. It is an interesting topic, though. The message of the Gospel is offensive to many.

I asked my coworker about his vacation. He told me that he and his wife enjoyed it. But he was very annoyed that someone approached them while they were on a walking trail. The gentlemen was asking if they believed in Jesus? It obviously made my coworker upset. I don’t find that unusual that someone may be annoyed by a stranger’s encroachment . However! .....

I do find it curious that all the homeless, drug addicts, thugs, and mentally ill that you encounter living in the West Coast my coworker finds this guy annoying. Yet, he doesn’t say a peep about all this danger and misery.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:27 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
I am not religious but I have no problems with it. I just keep going on with my life.

I do find it annoying if someone approaches me unwarranted. I find it as an interruption that I didn't ask for.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
We live in the midst of a hedonistic pretentious dying society.

A gospel of forgiveness and soft-soap will not be received or regarded with anything approaching respect. Our citizens have had a belly full of positive smiling cotton-candy liars who only want to sell us their shoddy stuff so as to get their filthy hands in our pockets. They do not and will not hear it.

A message of consideration for the consequences of one's behavior is wise, as well as different in tone and theme. At the least its' different tone may be heard by a few - if only for them to ruminate on later in the day. Unfortunately among a generation of fools it will not be heard. Nevertheless, God does call some men to voice the Word.

Americans today detest ANY hint of righteousness or repentance. They consider the gospel HATE LANGUAGE because they are so deeply into SIN DEBAUCHERY and LICENTIOUSNESS. Remember, righteousness and SIN are mortal enemies. The Bible says so. Even those that hate God's Word will admit it.

Americans hate truth and embrace violence as entertainment, international murder as patriotism and political obfuscation as something to be encouraged.

Our nation is beyond hope of reform.

Indeed the entire planet is under imminent threat of divine judgment even as these words are being written and read. Justice shall visit America and it will not visit well. Prayers for individual mercy will be heard, but not prayers for national prosperity and power. God no longer hears prayers on behalf of America.

IF GOD DOES NOT JUDGE AMERICA HE WILL HAVE TO APOLOGIZE TO SODOM AND GOMORRAH.

"Gott mit uns," was a religious slogan commonly repeated in 1930's Germany. Loosely translated it means, "God is with us." Sound familiar? The slogan was printed on banners above a photograph of Hitler in the foreground and a cathedral in the background. Those who wrap the cross in their national flag invite disaster. God is not a respecter of nations or kings. Despite the propaganda, did God bless Germany for its murder and international aggression? God judged Germany even as He shall judge us. God doesn't respect American propaganda any more than He respected Nazi slogans.

God will not bless America any more. Read your newspapers and watch the TV news. Do you see blessings or a continual series of reversals and curses? THINK.

Stupidity is not a virtue, but Americans live it as the founding principle of their lives.

REPENT. The end is indeed closer than any of us realize. We are all of us sinners and we are all desperately in need of God's forgiveness and wisdom and saving grace. To refuse it is not wise.

But who said Americans are wise?

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
You know that the first 16 verses of Matthew 6 flatly contradict everything you just wrote:

1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.

8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
9 “This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]
but deliver us from the evil one.[b]’

14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity