Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:57 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,713,752 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me why The EC is losing a great number of members every year?

Is The EC expected to survive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 02:01 PM

18,533 posts, read 9,225,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post

They don't threaten their people with hellfire if they leave the church. So they lose members more easily than the evangelical churches.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,296,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
They don't threaten their people with hellfire if they leave the church. So they lose members more easily than the evangelical churches.
That could well be part of it.

I suspect another reason is that they expect parishioners to think, rather than force-feeding them dogma that can be regurgitated by rote.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:59 PM

9,703 posts, read 10,074,057 times
Usually Churches which fail to exercise the great commission of Souls for heaven will lack the power of Christ , as Churches are called to bless the Holy spirit and preach the gospel , where the world take down the crosses and are ashamed to push Jesus Christ and his redemption on the world , so God will not have anything to do ...... So if you see the Sunday schools disappear then it is time to go and find and different church , as the kids will be attracted to the truth

Old 07-18-2017, 05:33 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,939,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Usually Churches which fail to exercise the great commission of Souls for heaven will lack the power of Christ , as Churches are called to bless the Holy spirit and preach the gospel , where the world take down the crosses and are ashamed to push Jesus Christ and his redemption on the world , so God will not have anything to do ...... So if you see the Sunday schools disappear then it is time to go and find and different church , as the kids will be attracted to the truth

The real Jesus represents--LOVE--PEACE--UNITY--- I seriously doubt he has a pagan torture death device representing his religion on earth. The religion that came out of Rome, years after Jesus brought in the cross, statues, icons, graven images, many pagan things and false council teachings. Never much corrected by protestants, because the translations are erred.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:15 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,102,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post

They're going the way of every other liberal Christian church. They start to affirm the things of the world, and people end up saying "Why bother?" Why should they get up on Sunday morning and go pretend? It's more fun to go to the bar on Saturday night instead and sleep in on Sunday.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
They're going the way of every other liberal Christian church. They start to affirm the things of the world, and people end up saying "Why bother?" Why should they get up on Sunday morning and go pretend? It's more fun to go to the bar on Saturday night instead and sleep in on Sunday.
I agree with something you posted!!

Old 07-18-2017, 12:09 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,102,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I agree with something you posted!!
I'm under no delusion that non-christians should enjoy church. It shouldn't shock us when people that don't believe would rather go to the bar than to get up and go to a boring event on Sunday morning with people they rarely see elsewhere, and talk about a topic they are not interested in. That's why a church that caters to people that don't actually believe is destined to fail.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:16 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,076,485 times
Quote:

Exactly. When there's no difference between them and the world, why bother to get up and go at all for more of same you can have in the relative comfort of your own living room via most TV programming? We're supposed to overcome the things of the flesh and the world, not cater to it. People have the idea that just because He loves us where we are at for salvation, that sanctification is not expected once you're past the "honeymoon" stage. Growth denotes change, or you're not growing, you're imploding. Peace

Old 07-18-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I'm under no delusion that non-christians should enjoy church. It shouldn't shock us when people that don't believe would rather go to the bar than to get up and go to a boring event on Sunday morning with people they rarely see elsewhere, and talk about a topic they are not interested in. That's why a church that caters to people that don't actually believe is destined to fail.
It's not a question of "enjoying" Church. I actually did enjoy it when I was an altar boy and the Mass was in Latin.

It's a question of spending an hour+ listening to someone drone on about things which I don't believe are remotely true.

I'd rather spend that time sitting on my deck, watching the birds and other critters who visit my buffet, or in my boat rocking with the waves and pretending to fish.

THAT is worship. And time well-spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity