Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,451,467 times

Advertisements

Again, because of something I read here that some think...
Now, I understand if riches pulled a person away from focusing on God...so
a person may decide to become an ascetic to abstain from what he believes is the addiction...material distractions.
Any addict will (try) to do that - keep away from food, drugs, tobacco, alcohol, sex, sugar ...but none of
these things are bad.
It is the obsession with them that distracts us from something much higher; the love of God.
When people
wallow around in Illusion, the Maya, the mud and the temporary world of 'things' instead
of heart/soul/spirit...the 'Real' , in other words...we miss the Mark...
What happens when we miss the Mark? Suffering, wandering, we are lost, we have forgotten where we came from, thus,
our Home/God and our purpose....and on and on.

Will poverty and other 'afflictions' bring us closer to God? Maybe for you...but, not for me!
Been there, done that! And so did Jesus, who said he came so we could have an abundant life,
(rather than this suffering in ignorance).

Joy, wealth, health, success in every aspect of life here bring me closer to God.
None of these things are bad things.

The belief that suffering is good...is nuts.
It is good for only waking up that you want to suffer no more, guys!

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-13-2017 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling in title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 10:21 AM

Oh...it should say, 'choose it', in the title...I often get those mixed up when typing, sorry.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:29 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,426,118 times
Default Do you think poverty is something holy? Do you deliberately choose it then?

You know, I used to, on some level, believe that. Suffering for God, (that's how I saw it), made me feel sorta special I guess. I was raised in a pastor's home and money was tight. But, it seemed to be an expectation that as a pastor's family, we wouldn't have much.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:44 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,063,301 times
Poverty was one of the 3 curses He came to reverse, the other two being sickness and death. All of these came about from the fall, so all humanity has experienced poverty, even if it's only the spiritual kind.

Natural wealth attainment should not be anyone's goal, however, as if we seek FIRST, the kingdom of G-d, ALL these things (blessings of ALL sorts) will be added unto us. So much of what G-d is trying to teach is all about priorities, and ours, as a result of our flesh, are always backwards at the beginning. The true riches are in Christ anyway. Took Solomon a long time to figure this out, and it takes a lot of people a lifetime. Peace

Old 08-13-2017, 02:58 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,549,252 times
For those who choose it. Look at St. Francis, he chose it. He came from a wealthy family but found no peace there, only in following Christ by giving away all his things and going into the desert.

He started a mission of poverty for those who followed him and did many good things for the salvation of souls. Read about his life.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
For those who choose it.
Look at St. Francis, he chose it. He came from a wealthy family but found no peace there, only in following Christ by giving away all his things and going into the desert.
He started a mission of poverty for those who followed him and did many good things for the salvation of soul....
Yes...there are those that deliberately need this, and
through clarity inside of themselves choose this austere life...he found no happiness in his wealthy life.
(I kinda said that trying to cover anyone that 'needed' to rid themselves of distractions of any sort).

St. Francis needed to do this, it was his soul's need and it was wonderful for him and others around him.
I lived in a monastic order for many years...at that time it was what I 'needed'...and chose.
Wealth and stupid material things do not distract me any longer.
Poverty is not a good or bad thing...but if I had my choice and I do...I chose both wealth and connection to the Divine Presence...not poverty and connection to the Divine...I surely help many more people this way.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:18 PM

45,724 posts, read 27,340,900 times
1 Timothy 6:6-12 - But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. 7 For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. 8 If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content. 9 But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 11 But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

It is good to be content with what God sends your way while pursuing godliness.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
1 Timothy 6:6-12

It is good to be content with what God sends your way while pursuing godliness.
Great verse....and great sentence from you...so true. Thank you .

Old 08-13-2017, 08:45 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,736,596 times
Quote:
No one can serve two masters: Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air: They do not sow or reap or gather into barns—and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his lifespan? And why do you worry about clothes? Consider how the lilies of the field grow: They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his glory was adorned like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans pursue all these things, and your Heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own.
Jesus, Matt 6:24-34

The key to knowing what God will "add" to you is found in the same verses---food and clothing. Doesn't talk about smart phones or televisions or trips to Disney World or brand new cars every two or three years.

Quote:
"Our Father who art in Heaven hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us THIS DAY, our DAILY bread---"
the first part of the prayer of Jesus as a teaching tool

Quote:
Our Lord says in these verses, "Dare to follow out this warning that I have given you about double service into your daily life. Do not give way to anxiety about the things of life, but look up to God in steady gaze of faith; he will provide." 'Or, more in detail - If God has given you life, shall he not add the food and the clothing (ver. 25)? Anxiety about the support of your life is needless (witness the birds, ver. 26) and powerless (witness the limit of a man's life, ver. 27); while as for clothing, it is equally needless (witness the flowers, ver. 28) and comparatively powerless (witness Solomon's own case, ver. 29). Remember your relation to God (ver. 30). Therefore do not give way to the least anxiety about these things (ver. 31), because this is to fall to the level of the Gentiles, and also because God, whose children you are, knows your needs (ver. 32). But make his cause, without and within, your great object, and all your needs shall be supplied (ver. 33). Therefore be not at all anxious, bear the burden of each day only as each day comes round (ver. 34). Verse 25. - Therefore (διὰ τοῦτο). Because of this fact last mentioned, the impossibility of dividing your service. Cease to be anxious about things of this life, for anxiety about these is a mark of your attempting this impossibility.
Pulpit Commentary in part, on Matt. 6:24-34

To His disciples Jesus said:
Quote:
These twelve Jesus sent out, instructing them, “Go nowhere among the Gentiles and enter no town of the Samaritans, but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And proclaim as you go, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand. Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay. Acquire no gold or silver or copper for your belts, no bag for your journey, or two tunics ---
Matt. 10: 5-10

Quote:
Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you out without purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered.
Luke 22:35

Last edited by Wardendresden; 08-13-2017 at 08:56 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 08:54 PM

Oh, man, you should get a prize for that contribution. Maybe everyone could give you a rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity