Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 PM

336 posts, read 844,668 times

Advertisements

Do we all lie and if so, is it justifiable?The story about God and Sarah, as she laughed at the promise that she would bear a child in her old age."Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said,'I did not laugh.' " Genesis 18:15 NIV
Rahab, the prostitute lied to cover for the spies that were hiding.She was written about as a heroine. Joshua Chapter 2 NIV
The apostle Paul told the Colossians:"Do not lie to each other,since you have taken off your old self with its practices." Col 3:9 NIV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 08:44 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
That's an interesting question. Is it not a lie to say that someone looks good when they don'tl or say to the telephone surveyer you're busy when you're not? Or to tell your young child there is a Santa Clause? Maybe that's not exactly what you meant but they are still lies. It also makes one think of the age old quandry about whether or not it is ok to lie or stretch the truth (which basically is a lie) to save someone hurt or humiliation??

Old 03-14-2008, 08:53 PM

336 posts, read 844,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
That's an interesting question. Is it not a lie to say that someone looks good when they don'tl or say to the telephone surveyer you're busy when you're not? Or to tell your young child there is a Santa Clause? Maybe that's not exactly what you meant but they are still lies. It also makes one think of the age old quandry about whether or not it is ok to lie or stretch the truth (which basically is a lie) to save someone hurt or humiliation??
If we tell the surveyor something that is not true,is it not a lie?Could I say,"Sorry, I'm not interested."

Last edited by JANA MANIA; 03-14-2008 at 09:40 PM..

Old 03-15-2008, 04:10 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Many Dutch people, during the Nazi occupation in WWII, lied to the German occupiers when they were hiding the Jewish Dutch from the Nazis.
Although it is my principle not to lie, I will not hesitate to tell a lie if I can save a life; I find saving lives more important than upholding my own principles.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:21 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times
The bible makes it VERY clear that it's not okay to lie.
It's one of the 10 commandments.

I found it interesting that you brought up Sarah and Rahab.
It seems obvious that God forgave them.

That was the O.T. though, and I can't recall seeing anything
in the N.T. where a lie was acceptable to God.

Judas lied, but it wasn't his lie that got Jesus arrested
and later crucified, it was the fact that he turned him in.
So that lie was not acceptable.

(Here's a question for another thread: Do you think Judas went to Hell?
He was responsible for sending Jesus to the cross, but he also helped
fulfill a prophesy and later regretted what he did and threw away the silver and hung himself.)

I personally think it's a sin to lie.
Even when we lie to spare someone's feelings, or lie by omission.
That said, I have been guilty of both, many, many times in my life.

Some people call them "Little white lies",
but they are lies just the same.

I had a friend who didn't lie to spare someone's feelings.
If he was invited to something he didn't want to attend,
he didn't make up an excuse, he'd just say "I don't feel like going".
He wasn't very popular, but I have to admit that I really respected that.
He wasn't even a Christian.

Would I lie to save an innocent person's life?
I'm ashamed to say that I Probably would.
But I'd repent and pray for forgiveness.

Would God see it as a sin? Yes.
Would God forgive me? I think so under the circumstances.
Would there be consequences because of that lie? Probably.
Every sin carries a consequence! Don't kid yourself.

This is a really good thread where a few of us may learn something.
I hope to hear from a lot of folks on this subject.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:56 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy
Quote:
Every sin carries a consequence! Don't kid yourself.
Only when it is also a sin to save someone's life will lying to save someone be sinful.
I mean lying in order to save someone who has committed crimes on the scale that Hitler has and shows no repentance whatsoever would imo indeed be sinful.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:52 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
There are seven ways to lie. There is the white lie, the lie of omission (not telling the whole truth,) the lie of commission (active and purposeful), the lie in thought - i.e., misremebering a true occurrance on purpose, the lie of false flattery... anything that is not true is a lie.

Instead of telling someone who is not well-put together, "You look wonderful!" you can say, "That is a beautiful dress!" or "I like that hat!" and you therefore do not lie. Some people carry truthsaying to an injurious point; i.e., "You smell awful! No water or soap at your house?" - this is bullying and self-aggrandizement thru "truth", and isn't acceptable either to those of a truly Christian mindset. If someone is a truly horrible cook and doesn't know it, it is better to give them a recipe book for a birthday or Christmas 'to enhance and expand their own recipes', and to simply say, "No thank you" and not offer an excuse when offered something they have made. Remember the old saying - "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing?" Silence is kinder than false flattery.

I would lie to save someone's life, but it would have to not just be expedient but immediately necessary. Otherwise, I would commit the sin of omission - bad, but not as bad as simply coming out with a baldfaced lie! The problem with a lie is not the lie itself - it is the hundred or so afterward that you have to tell to cover up the first lie!

Mostly I just stay mum.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:55 AM

322 posts, read 737,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA View Post
Do we all lie and if so, is it justifiable?The story about God and Sarah, as she laughed at the promise that she would bear a child in her old age."Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said,'I did not laugh.' " Genesis 18:15 NIV
Rahab, the prostitute lied to cover for the spies that were hiding.She was written about as a heroine. Joshua Chapter 2 NIV
The apostle Paul told the Colossians:"Do not lie to each other,since you have taken off your old self with its practices." Col 3:9 NIV
JANA, you have brought up an important topic that should be taken extremely serious by all Christians. No, No, No!!! It is never good to tell a lie. Not under any circumstances whatsoever. Not under the threat of death, not for the love of money, or for any other reason! If there is something a person does not want to say, then they should simply be silent. It is never ok to lie. Remember, we in the Church have been given far more revelation of the Truth, than the old testament saints had in thier day. The SPIRIT of Truth actually dwells in us and we in Him.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuyOnly when it is also a sin to save someone's life will lying to save someone be sinful.
I mean lying in order to save someone who has committed crimes on the scale that Hitler has and shows no repentance whatsoever would imo indeed be sinful.
Notice I said "an innocent person" in my example.

And even in that case it's very possible that the lie
could create unintended consequences.

That's the problem when dealing with hypothetical situations.
It usually gets too far out.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
The problem with a lie is not the lie itself - it is the hundred or so afterward that you have to tell to cover up the first lie!
You have that right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity