Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:54 PM

923 posts, read 526,978 times

Advertisements

I've had two circumstances that I felt I had forgiven people over something very very wrong that they did to my kids and I.

Yet, I don't trust these people. I don't like them and only talk to them if I must.

Christ forgave us for our sins, and didn't bring it up to anyone ever again. That is what I believe He asks of me to do.

Have I truly forgiven them? Since I don't trust them as I believe they will do it again as they have continued to lie, cheat, and steal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 03:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Yes, I believe that it is possible to forgive based on the idea that these people really do themselves more harm than you, but know that they have not changed and may never change. Protect yourself as you can and use any opportunity you see to help them understand that point.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:01 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
Jesus said to forgive , and pray for your enemies , and bless them through Christ , and then you will be Children of God ..... Jesus never said you would not have enemies , Jesus said bless them , give then a drink of living waters from Christ in your prayers , ask for forgiveness from God for your enemies ........You can trust them again when they get saved to Jesus

Old 09-26-2017, 04:04 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
I'm perfectly fine with forgive, but not trust. We're only told to forgive. That's for something that has already occurred.

To ignore trust issues would be unwise. That involves matters that might come in the future. Big difference between what's happened and what might come about.

Only God can be trusted fully, 100% of the time. Humans, well... we're all too flawed to trust completely. And we can't feel remorse or guilt for what's already been set up, and if we can't trust certain people.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:40 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I've had two circumstances that I felt I had forgiven people over something very very wrong that they did to my kids and I.

Yet, I don't trust these people. I don't like them and only talk to them if I must.

Christ forgave us for our sins, and didn't bring it up to anyone ever again. That is what I believe He asks of me to do.

Have I truly forgiven them? Since I don't trust them as I believe they will do it again as they have continued to lie, cheat, and steal?
just because you forgive don't mean they repented of their wrong.. trust is for the trust worthy and trust me God doesn't give really precious things to pigs/ dogs and babies.. such even when he forgives them. you don't give a pearl to the baby because they will choke on it .
you need to be approriate for their trustworthiness. forgivness just means you seek to do them no harm..
not that you would give them keys to your car when they are unrepentant car thieves.. now if Gods spirit tells you to give them your car and they steal it .. ok.. that is his business then and HE IS Trust worthy and if you heard correctly and followed his lead , he will replace your car then.

so just stay in prayer about the unrepentant and ask the Lord each day.. as a christian there is no blanket statement about anything or anyone ...we ask him as much as is possible about all the relationships in our lives what we are to do in them. I hope that helps. but there is no reason to FEEL guilty about not trusting the untrustworthy.. but their unworthiness doesn't mean God will not ask you to give something to them that you and he knows they will steal. when you know it then when it happens it doesn't hurt you because you gave it to God not them . because God asked you for it. ok? God asks that you Love him first then your neighbors.. so ask him first what you would/ could/ should do for him.

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 09-26-2017 at 05:04 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 04:41 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Yep.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
I forgive lots of people, I understand why they did something and
it wasn't even personal towards me so didn't really 'hurt' me, so nothing to
actually forgive ...but, it doesn't mean I want to hang out with these bozos.
They have a bit more growing to do before they are pleasant company.
So I trust they will grow...but, I will wait til they do.

So there's my view on 'forgive and trust'.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:01 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
"I think we're all bozoz on this bus."

Old 09-26-2017, 06:47 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post

Forgiveness and trusting are not the same thing.

You can forgive someone and at the same time not put yourself in a situation where they can hurt, manipulate, or take advantage of you again. You have forgiven, meaning you do not hold a grudge. However now it is up to that person to RE-GAIN YOUR TRUST. You have nothing to do with that part. It's on THEM.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:45 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Forgiveness and trusting are not the same thing.

You can forgive someone and at the same time not put yourself in a situation where they can hurt, manipulate, or take advantage of you again. You have forgiven, meaning you do not hold a grudge. However now it is up to that person to RE-GAIN YOUR TRUST. You have nothing to do with that part. It's on THEM.
That's exactly the way I see it too.

Sadly, some people will never be sorry for the pain they cause in this world. We should not let that bind us with bitterness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity