Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-15-2017, 03:54 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Reputation: 114990

Advertisements

@Wardendresden:

People who are religious are that way because they want to escape hell.
People who are spiritual are that way because they've already been there.


This was my favorite part of your post. Perfect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2017, 04:13 AM
 
Location: New England
37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Reputation: 2746
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If Jesus had promised a book and it were about rules you might have a point. Stick around, eventually you could learn what Jesus DID promise and what it really IS all about. Hint: you already know, so pay attention.
There are some here would tell you after pointing to them that Jesus did not carry a bible around with him, that he was and is the bible, then you point out to them that Jesus rarely quoted the bible they say he is, they will tell you, that he did but related it in a different way to the way it is written, as if the letter that kills somehow magically becomes spiritual. Is it any wonder they are not forth coming explaining the character of the Spirit, because if they did, out of their own mouths they would confirm that which they refuse to accept, that the true nature and character of God does not match the concept they have of God. It is as if they are saying please stop pointing out the true nature and character of God because we are perfectly happy retaining the concept of God we hold which is wrathful, condemning and exclusive. So is it any wonder that they cannot be seen in any other light than bible worshippers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Reputation: 114990
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
It's your book, not mine buddy. If you can't follow the rules, that's all you.

No, you are not a real Christian if you're OK with same sex marriage. Technically, you're not a real Christian if you don't condone slavery either.

Organized religion is silly. Trying to put logic to it doesn't work because it's not real.......jokes on you
Lol @ buddy.

New to the neighborhood, are ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 07:01 AM
 
10,086 posts, read 5,730,724 times
Reputation: 2899
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
It's your book, not mine buddy. If you can't follow the rules, that's all you.

No, you are not a real Christian if you're OK with same sex marriage. Technically, you're not a real Christian if you don't condone slavery either.

Organized religion is silly. Trying to put logic to it doesn't work because it's not real.......jokes on you
Technically, you are wrong about slavery. You can't find a single verse where God or the biblical authors are approving of slavery. Rather, verses like this which says everyone is equal:


"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Reputation: 14069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
This thread, I'd say, is right on time, as I've noticed threads dealing with this subject seem to "magically" appear as if they're something new, about every 3-4 months on here. The only reason, as far as I can see, is to inflame the board and give all the self anointed and self appointed, "Christ following" fundy haters their "moment in the sun" as they all trip over one another in their rush to strive to be the first to prove how "undiscriminating" they are, as if that was one of the major virtues to strive for, when fact is G-d is the biggest discriminator of them all, defining what is flesh and what is Spirit and striking one of them......dead. Intermission over.....carry on. Peace
The bolded is just one of the many reasons your version of g-d is so despicable.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 08:07 AM
 
10,800 posts, read 3,591,534 times
Reputation: 5951
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Technically, you are wrong about slavery. You can't find a single verse where God or the biblical authors are approving of slavery. Rather, verses like this which says everyone is equal:


"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Oh really?

Read Exodus 21. All of it. It tells you how to beat your slave, it tells you that Hebrew slaves are different than others, it tells you how to trick you Hebrew male slave by giving him a wife, and if he doesn't want to leave that wive, how to mark that slave and keep him forever.

That is 'just the OT"?

What about the NT? Shall I go into the list there, or will you accept that the bible is full of endorsement of slavery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Prescott Arizona
1,649 posts, read 1,007,506 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Technically, you are wrong about slavery. You can't find a single verse where God or the biblical authors are approving of slavery. Rather, verses like this which says everyone is equal:


"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass,nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

Apparently God doesn't condone stealing slaves LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Prescott Arizona
1,649 posts, read 1,007,506 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Do you believe a book defines who you are as a person?
No, and I don't feel one's actions define who they are as person as well because I'm a firm believer in hard determinism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Arizona
28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Reputation: 2296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
It's your book, not mine buddy. If you can't follow the rules, that's all you.

No, you are not a real Christian if you're OK with same sex marriage. Technically, you're not a real Christian if you don't condone slavery either.

Organized religion is silly. Trying to put logic to it doesn't work because it's not real.......jokes on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Do you believe a book defines who you are as a person?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
No, and I don't feel one's actions define who they are as person as well because I'm a firm believer in hard determinism.
Hard Determinism is the theory that human behavior and actions are wholly determined by external factors, and therefore humans do not have genuine free will or ethical accountability.

Eternal factors do not dictate whether or not someone is, or is not a Christian. Neither does it define who or what a person is - or is not. There is also the element of choice when it comes to being a servant, nothing is being forced, nor is anyone being pushed into being that which they either are not, or have not chosen to be. And you surely cannot engender or provoke someone into being that which you believe they are. Especially, if it is their choice. However, I do agree for the most part that Organized Religion has its faults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Reputation: 114990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Hard Determinism is the theory that human behavior and actions are wholly determined by external factors, and therefore humans do not have genuine free will or ethical accountability.

Eternal factors do not dictate whether or not someone is, or is not a Christian. Neither does it define who or what a person is - or is not. There is also the element of choice when it comes to being a servant, nothing is being forced, nor is anyone being pushed into being that which they either are not, or have not chosen to be. And you surely cannot engender or provoke someone into being that which you believe they are. Especially, if it is their choice. However, I do agree for the most part that Organized Religion has its faults.
I think most of us do, even those of us who are involved with some form of it. The Episcopal Church has its hierarchy and its rules, and elects its leaders, sort of mirroring our form of government. The diocesan rules and regulations and committees often get in the way of what individual parishes are trying to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:35 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top