Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 04:01 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times

Advertisements

Oddly enough, I was an acolyte and later acolyte trainer in the Episcopal Church. You know, light the candles, move the Bible and Prayer Book around, help with communion? We were told the original acolyte job was to guard the meeting place from the Pagan Roman Soldiers and Citizens who would often get violent.
Maybe we need to re-institute the old orders?

Old 11-06-2017, 04:17 PM

23,157 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
What song is that? I'd like to hear it. Peace
https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/r...18_45_51-07_00

Not sure how to even play it or if this is the version on the radio, but she has lots of youtubes and she is really on the charts in other countries like Romania and surrounding places.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:55 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Lots of weird ideas in this thread.

Jesus told us to be armed.

A school teacher who doesn't want any guns in their school, simply wants the children to be slaughtered.
This is not the same as not wanting to be the one who is armed at the school.

I don't care if the pastor is armed. Someone should be. And no one, outside of a very close circle of insiders, should know who. Church will not be a safe place in the future. In fact, some years from now, we may need to go underground.

Some people here want to pretend a lot of terrorists were Christians when in fact they were not. A few professed to be, just as some on this forum profess to be, but do not adhere to christian doctrine. Because someone says they are a horse doesn't mean they are.

The shooting of the Church Congregation was family violence
like the shooting at Ft Hood was workplace violence.
Yeah.
Right.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:04 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
TRex....well, you won't get any argument outta ME!

Old 11-06-2017, 05:08 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
An honest ques? Asking if the pastor and money is being guarded? Or the people?
Na-uh....no one deserves a ques like that.
IIR there was a robbery at Joel Osteens church some years ago. An unspecified amount of cash was taken.
You could look it up if this was a serious question. Apparently there were no armed guards there inside the church.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:10 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
No. No matter what is going on around us, we shouldn't lower ourselves to the level of others. We don't need that kind of retrograde mindset. "Society is declining and becoming more savage and primitive, so we should too". No, that's clearly not the answer. We are to hold true to what is smart and sane, and continue to - at the very least - serve as an example of the healthy, loving, and stable ways.

People matching scripture more would help. Pastors more closely matching the world would not.
Self-defense is not the same thing as murder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_2hmHE0ea8

Houses have walls and locks, so random people can't enter your personal space and start attacking or stealing from you. Ask any homeless people how much they lose being at the mercy of everyone they meet.

If you are concerned about lethal force, there are tasers, those nightstick things, and just armored guards with shields.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-lethal_weapon

We open our doors to strangers in love. We hope to be loved in return.

If not, we shouldn't be killing people, but if they threaten our lives, we don't turn the other cheek here. This approach was specifically to disarm people who are like "your money or your life?" Your life is important, give others whatever they want (because nothing is actually as important than that, aside from the one thing more important than even your life). This is what it means to love your neighbor as yourself. If you do not love yourself, sure, by all means commit suicide by terrorist. If you do not love your neighbor, you likely to kill them just like that. The middle way is to love both.

So, how does one do this? Simple. It's called basic security. Have a guard there, and before entering the building, you get a pat down. Of course, someone could still try to storm the entrance, which is why secret exits are a plus.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:30 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Self-defense is not the same thing as murder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_2hmHE0ea8

Houses have walls and locks, so random people can't enter your personal space and start attacking or stealing from you. Ask any homeless people how much they lose being at the mercy of everyone they meet.

If you are concerned about lethal force, there are tasers, those nightstick things, and just armored guards with shields.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-lethal_weapon

We open our doors to strangers in love. We hope to be loved in return.

If not, we shouldn't be killing people, but if they threaten our lives, we don't turn the other cheek here. This approach was specifically to disarm people who are like "your money or your life?" Your life is important, give others whatever they want (because nothing is actually as important than that, aside from the one thing more important than even your life). This is what it means to love your neighbor as yourself. If you do not love yourself, sure, by all means commit suicide by terrorist. If you do not love your neighbor, you likely to kill them just like that. The middle way is to love both.

So, how does one do this? Simple. It's called basic security. Have a guard there, and before entering the building, you get a pat down. Of course, someone could still try to storm the entrance, which is why secret exits are a plus.
Is this what you really think needs to be done in every single church or other building open to the public?

Not arguing just dumbfounded.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:57 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Lemme ask you something.

If airports are bombed or hijacked or whatever, what typically happens? They start searching people who get on the plane. They used to search all people that fit a profile. Then two things happened. People who didn't fit the profile started getting recruited for violent crimes, and people cried "racism" so they started the random search idea. Which is stupid, because you may "randomly" miss very obvious terror types. The approach of searching everyone is also not racist, but is actually effective. Government facilities also has weapons searches.

Now, I am neither for or against gun control. I believe however, that if an area is intended to be gun free, it needs to actually do so at the gate. Otherwise, let everyone carry. Either one is effective, as almost any would-be killer will back down, when he sees twelve guns trained on him.

What isn't sensible, is having schools and churches and hospitals declare that the staff cannot be armed while allowing random criminals to commit violent crimes, then declaring it the fault of guns... No. People were shot, because basic security failed. Not just murder, if I had valuables on display outside my house, and was somehow surprised when some dude came by at night and hauled it off, well, I'm an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3lQSxNdr3c

You can (a) disallow guns within a place where the public gathers inside for everyone but the guards, or (b) you can allow guns for everyone. If you allow guns "sorta", then sooner or later, squish.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
I don't think any Canadian church has an armed guard, or an armed congregant.

And although not normally the praying type, I pray it will always be thus.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:22 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I belong to a mega church. We have a security team, all concealed-carrying. They are all unpaid volunteers and members of our church. Our pastor is NOT carrying, but protection is always close by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
To protect the Pastor and money, or the people?
Quote:
That was uncalled for.

------
The news said the shooter was an atheist and hated religious people..not many temples in that small town...also a baby beater.
Quote:
It was an honest question which had nothing to do with the shooter.
It had to do with the priorities of others that are not always truthful.
Quote:
An honest ques? Asking if the pastor and money is being guarded? Or the people?
Na-uh....no one deserves a ques like that.
Quote:
In other words, Mega Churches really don't care about being robbed?
And their focus has always been on the safety of the people? Right?
Quote:
This is so tasteless in the light of what happened yesterday.
You, too, The Last Am...does your cynicism not take a day off out of respect...even
Now as people are struggling for their lives in the hospital...and others mourning?...Dont answer.. ..talk to the hand....
Quote:
Sorry, we disagree again tthere is no flower in cynism or hate...of any kind..
A trigger? Cynicism is a festering darkness and hate comes from the bowels of
that one Christian's call satan...I call the Lower Ego-self.

My opinion, my take..
Miss Hephurn's abhorence of each on display...I didn't get where I am by
rolling over to inappropriate, insensitive bruts that do not know when to apologize.

I'm not mad...but, I call out rudeness and pride when I see it.
It's nice to know what you really think, as for the people, my heart goes out to each and everyone of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity