Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:30 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Lemme ask you something.

If airports are bombed or hijacked or whatever, what typically happens? They start searching people who get on the plane. They used to search all people that fit a profile. Then two things happened. People who didn't fit the profile started getting recruited for violent crimes, and people cried "racism" so they started the random search idea. Which is stupid, because you may "randomly" miss very obvious terror types. The approach of searching everyone is also not racist, but is actually effective. Government facilities also has weapons searches.

Now, I am neither for or against gun control. I believe however, that if an area is intended to be gun free, it needs to actually do so at the gate. Otherwise, let everyone carry. Either one is effective, as almost any would-be killer will back down, when he sees twelve guns trained on him.

What isn't sensible, is having schools and churches and hospitals declare that the staff cannot be armed while allowing random criminals to commit violent crimes, then declaring it the fault of guns... No. People were shot, because basic security failed. Not just murder, if I had valuables on display outside my house, and was somehow surprised when some dude came by at night and hauled it off, well, I'm an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3lQSxNdr3c

You can (a) disallow guns within a place where the public gathers inside for everyone but the guards, or (b) you can allow guns for everyone. If you allow guns "sorta", then sooner or later, squish.
Not sure you actually answered my question. Before I get to answering yours one more question, did you feel like this after the shooting in a black church by Gylan Hood or the multiple fires set in black churches?

The entire concept of needing drastic security in any place that is considered gun free, or that one is not safe walking the streets or going into buildings is foreign to me. That the only solution to a single shooting in a white church is more guns , more security and less freedoms. As far as airport security much of it is plain silly, especially in airports in very small cities. But then armed guards in a bank are not common either.

All I know is that prayers for the dead, wounded and their families is about all that will happen.

So armed guards and pat downs is the solution that you see to protect small rural churches throughout your country?

Old 11-06-2017, 06:58 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't think any Canadian church has an armed guard, or an armed congregant.

And although not normally the praying type, I pray it will always be thus.
Same here ...Australia. I'm rather dumbfounded when I read some of these posts. But then I realize that most, if not all, of the posts come from those from stateside, whose obsession with deadly firearms and the normality of carrying a gun on the person comes across as seriously alarming to those of us in civilized countries.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Same here ...Australia. I'm rather dumbfounded when I read some of these posts. But then I realize that most, if not all, of the posts come from those from stateside, whose obsession with deadly firearms and the normality of carrying a gun on the person comes across as seriously alarming to those of us in civilized countries.
It's a head-shaker all right.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:13 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't think any Canadian church has an armed guard, or an armed congregant.

And although not normally the praying type, I pray it will always be thus.
When same-sex marriage first came into being and MCC Toronto was pushing the envelope, plain clothes police officers were in the sanctuary for an extended period of time given the death threats against the minister.

Back in 2008 or so, when I pastored a church in South Carolina, threats were made against me because I was a strong advocate for same-sex marriage. The local sheriff dep't suggested I start carrying a gun. They were shocked when I declined. As a member of the dep't was part of the congregation, he carried concealed when he came but there is no way I would allow uniform officers in the sanctuary, nor would I carry.

Jesus was about peace, packing heat has nothing to do with peace.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:51 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
When same-sex marriage first came into being and MCC Toronto was pushing the envelope, plain clothes police officers were in the sanctuary for an extended period of time given the death threats against the minister.

Back in 2008 or so, when I pastored a church in South Carolina, threats were made against me because I was a strong advocate for same-sex marriage. The local sheriff dep't suggested I start carrying a gun. They were shocked when I declined. As a member of the dep't was part of the congregation, he carried concealed when he came but there is no way I would allow uniform officers in the sanctuary, nor would I carry.

Jesus was about peace, packing heat has nothing to do with peace.
Good guys packing heat keeps the peace.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:02 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I don't believe he was an atheist; an atheist doesn't believe in any G-d, yet this guy knew who G-d's people were and where. He didn't go shoot up a mosque or a Hindu temple, did he? If he had, no doubt they'd say he was a Christian!

He's just another one of the wounded left on the battlefield to die, and he decided to take some with him. May G-d heal all involved in this, in every way. Peace
He posted on social media and called himself one. You going to say otherwise? He was a loner, internet toughguy who snapped. Scary world we live in.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:05 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
A "deranged" gunman isn't necessarily an atheist.
He called himself one. He was an internet toughguy atheist. Seen it a million times....but this 9ne acted it out.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:06 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

You only have to look at American history 150-350 years ago, to figure out why we all inherited a tendency to have personal protection and to hunt. Peace

Old 11-06-2017, 08:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Looks like the US Air Force is going to have to wear this one, or a good chunk of it. He spent time in military prison for beating his wife and child. His record should have been put in a data bank that prevented him from obtaining weapons. It wasn't.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:10 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
He posted on social media and called himself one. You going to say otherwise? He was a loner, internet toughguy who snapped. Scary world we live in.

I wasn't aware HE said he was one. My comment was more in the lines of, if he really didn't believe in G-d, then why kill His followers. Anyway, apparently, it was domestic violence that escalated into the church.

However, such things do you make you wonder about the effect of the hate speech that we see so much of on here, that is directed at Christians. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity