Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 04:20 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Col 2:17
"Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day—17things which are aa mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ."
The context of that verse is much different that what many think it is.

Col 2 is actually Paul telling them not to let anyone judge them for actually keeping the Sabbath and Holy days, not the other way around, since they were new gentile converts that came from Paganism. If you start at verse 1 and read down to verse 16, the context is clear.

Colossians 2:8-17
8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; 10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.

11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised withHim through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Are the commands of God philosophy or empty deceit?
Are the commands of God tradition of men, basic principles of the world?
Are the commands of God not according to Christ?

It is clear the issue in Colossians is, Paul is talking to new converts to the faith that used to be pagans and are now following Christ, so in their pagan society he is telling them NOT to let anyone judge them for keeping the commands of God like new moons, the Sabbath or Feast Days. They are all a shadow of what is to come in Christ.

HE IS NOT saying dont let anyone judge you for for keeping Xmas, Easter, or Pork and Shellfish, as this verse is typically used to defend those arguments.

All the Holy Days in scriptures came from God and what modern days Christianity does now are days that come from the Catholic Church, so it really isnt a way to justify the modern day Christmas celebration with scriptutres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 04:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
You keep looking at the flesh of individual men there to judge, but what you are not seeing, is that the sword is a double edged sword IN ALL OF US, as He begins His work in us through the HG, ie. the separating of flesh and Spirit. It's not an "us" versus "them" thing at all, because "us" IS "them"; "they" are BOTH in us. Peace
Of cause it(the power of God)is a double edged sword within all of us, that divides that which is God and that which is not. Hence our enemy is that of our own household. Now we have cleared that up let’s address what I said to twin,those like twin and yourself who think in terms of them and us, you have to use that which “you” believe is the sword back on you to show that when you think in terms of them and us, you are slaying yourself without realizing it. We are Jews you are Samaritans, We keep the feasts you don’t, we are sheep you are goats, we are born again you aren’t.

The same power that raised Christ from the dead shall he not also awaken you from your state of sleep to who you really are?.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:25 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
The context of that verse is much different that what many think it is.

Col 2 is actually Paul telling them not to let anyone judge them for actually keeping the Sabbath and Holy days, not the other way around, since they were new gentile converts that came from Paganism. If you start at verse 1 and read down to verse 16, the context is clear.

Colossians 2:8-17
8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; 10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.

11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised withHim through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Are the commands of God philosophy or empty deceit?
Are the commands of God tradition of men, basic principles of the world?
Are the commands of God not according to Christ?

It is clear the issue in Colossians is, Paul is talking to new converts to the faith that used to be pagans and are now following Christ, so in their pagan society he is telling them NOT to let anyone judge them for keeping the commands of God like new moons, the Sabbath or Feast Days. They are all a shadow of what is to come in Christ.

HE IS NOT saying dont let anyone judge you for for keeping Xmas, Easter, or Pork and Shellfish, as this verse is typically used to defend those arguments.

All the Holy Days in scriptures came from God and what modern days Christianity does now are days that come from the Catholic Church, so it really isnt a way to justify the modern day Christmas celebration with scriptutres.
I get that. But it does work both ways. Just as you should not judge them in regards to observing Jewish festivals, the idea of someone wanting to celebrate Christmas? Pretty silly. It's trivial.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:51 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Maybe cause "Prince of peace" has a different correct understanding to it since Jesus said of himself: (Matthew 10)
“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth.
I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

For I have come to turn
“ ‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—

a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’
"
~ Jesus (the bibliolator who live by the written words alone quoting Scripture Micah 7:6)

Michah - Micah - Chapter 7:

6 For a son disgraces his father; a daughter rises up against her mother; a daughter-in-law, against her mother- in-law; a man's enemies are the members of his household.

Notice the difference in wording...And the fact that it is taken out of context...

Old 11-14-2017, 07:54 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Michah - Micah - Chapter 7:

6 For a son disgraces his father; a daughter rises up against her mother; a daughter-in-law, against her mother- in-law; a man's enemies are the members of his household.

Notice the difference in wording...And the fact that it is taken out of context...
Jesus took a lot of OT out of context (so, too, did Paul) because His interpretation was DIFFERENT!

Old 11-15-2017, 04:44 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Jesus took a lot of OT out of context (so, too, did Paul) because His interpretation was DIFFERENT!
But he is supposed to be G-d, so why would he do that?...

Old 11-15-2017, 04:50 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Because according to bible fundamentalists, God can do whatever the hell he likes because he is God. Or Jesus was actually pointing out by saying somthing seemingly different to what the scripture says, " you lot are holding onto the wrong end of the stick, so be careful who you believe I am, because that is how i will appear to you".

Old 11-15-2017, 06:28 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
He is God----think about that!!

Old 11-15-2017, 06:42 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,717 times
Quote:
You mean your Christian version of Satan...
you've lost me are you referring to me speaking on satan and his tricks? if so, it's not "my Christian version", it's Jehovah God's word! this is why he warns his people to stay close to him, (Ephe. 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil). those who's close to Jehovah God and Jesus would know satan tricks ,(2Cor. 2:11 so that we might not be outwitted by satan—for we are not ignorant of his schemes).

Old 11-15-2017, 07:12 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
I see so many "Christians" (including my parents) who lied to their children about Santa year after year after year. Why do "Christians" believe they NEED/WANT this lie in their lives? This is all a sin.
i agree! my parents did it to me and my siblings, and sadly i also did it. though i wasn't a "Christian" then, i still knew it was a lie. satan is the ruler of this wicked world, and he causes even the "believers"...to be blinded, (2Cor. 4:4 In their case, the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving, so they might not see the light of the Good News of the glory of Messiah, who is the image of God). what made me decided to stop with the lie, was not only did i know i was lying, yet teaching them NOT to lie. but i was allowing my kids to believe that their parents wasn't the ones buying those gifts, when we were! Jesus said he and his was NO PART of this world ,(John 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world). they lived in it of course, but they took NO part of it's celebrations or acts. especially if it when against Jehovah God, Jesus Father!

once i became one, i decided to try hard NOT to live as the rest of the world did. because it would mean i loved the world and the things of it, more than Jehovah God and Jesus. also the things, actions of this world will soon be gone. including those who follows them ,(1John 2:15-17 Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever).

many of the Christendom world straddles the fence. they want the best of both, the world and ..."Jesus". many have enough knowledge to know Jesus wasn't born in this month. but even if he was, there's so many lies incorporated with his..."Birthdate". satan is ok with "Christians" straddling the fence, he knows that will cause us to lose our lives, Jesus and Jehovah God isn't! Jehovah didn't send his Son to die for our sins, just so we could live as we please. we were to follow Jesus, and deny ourselves ,(1Pet.2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps). selfishly we're actually about what we want. which can cause us to lose our lives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity