Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 07:41 AM

998 posts, read 436,791 times

Advertisements

God is humane, rational, and merciful.
Humane - kind; merciful; not cruel or brutal, Syn. tender, compassionate
Rational - 1 sensible; reasonable; reasoned out. Syn. sound, wise, judicious, sane 2 able to think and reason clearly
Merciful - having mercy; showing or feeling mercy Syn. compassionate, clement, kind, lenient
Above meaning came from World Book Dictionary.

If you were to believe in a god, be sure that He is the true God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 08:51 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacecrusader888 View Post
Rational - 1 sensible; reasonable; reasoned out. Syn. sound, wise, judicious, sane 2 able to think and reason clearly
Merciful - having mercy; showing or feeling mercy Syn. compassionate, clement, kind, lenient

None of those definitions apply to the OT god.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:08 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Look, people can either believe what Jesus said or believe they came from an ape; obviously, you have chosen the latter.
As I have pointed out repeatedly, we have nothing written in Jesus' own hand. Everything Jesus is reputed to have said is contained in documents written by anonymous individuals decades after Jesus was dead. Paul never met Jesus. It is overwhelmingly likely that none of the individuals who wrote the Gospels ever met Jesus. We have NO direct knowledge about the historical Jesus. Jesus went entirely unreported on by ANYONE during his lifetime. In truth there is no direct evidence that Jesus ever existed.

Which is why some people consider Jesus to be an entirely mythological character. I personally feel that the cult of Jesus arose too abruptly to be based entirely on a mythological character. However, everything YOU believe about Jesus is based on an inter-supporting system of assumptions. Like the unquestioned assumption that the words placed into Jesus' mouth 40-60 years after Jesus was dead were actually originally spoken by Jesus. Assumptions which include the corpse of Jesus returning to life and then flying away. Assumptions for which there is no basis in reason, or in fact. Assumptions which by any normal consideration are simply silly.

So the question becomes, why would you and others believe in and promote such insupportable assumptions? And the answer is that you have been indoctrinated into this system of belief, probably from a very early age, and have been told that it is all true and above challenge. My aunts use to tell me that God would know if I even thought in my mind that the stories might not be true. Which is exactly why we have individuals who fiercely believe in and support Islam, or Hinduism, or Buddhism. Individuals who have been instructed from a very early age that they ARE Muslim, or Hindu, or Buddhist. Or Christian. Individuals for whom it is simply unthinkable that Islam, or Hinduism, or Buddhism... or Christianity... might not be true. Despite the obvious unrealistic nature of many of the claims made by these beliefs.

What would happen if people actually stopped to honestly consider the nature of what it is they think they believe? They might just see how foolish their own claims have always been. God of course (one of the God's, for a Hindu) would be appalled.

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 12-08-2017 at 11:17 AM..

Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
As I have pointed out repeatedly, we have nothing written in Jesus' own hand. Everything Jesus is reputed to have said is contained in documents written by anonymous individuals decades after Jesus was dead. Paul never met Jesus. It is overwhelmingly likely that none of the individuals who wrote the Gospels ever met Jesus. We have NO direct knowledge about the historical Jesus. Jesus went entirely unreported on by ANYONE during his lifetime. In truth there is no direct evidence that Jesus ever existed.

Which is why some people consider Jesus to be an entirely mythological character. I personally feel that the cult of Jesus arose too abruptly to be based entirely on a mythological character. However, everything YOU believe about Jesus is based on an inter-supporting system of assumptions. Like the unquestioned assumption that the words placed into Jesus' mouth 40-60 years after Jesus was dead were actually originally spoken by Jesus. Assumptions which include the corpse of Jesus returning to life and then flying away. Assumptions for which there is no basis in reason, or in fact. Assumptions which by any normal consideration are simply silly.

So the question becomes, why would you and others believe in and promote such insupportable assumptions? And the answer is that you have been indoctrinated into this system of belief, probably from a very early age, and have been told that it is all true and above challenge. My aunts use to tell me that God would know if I even thought in my mind that the stories might not be true. Which is exactly why we have individuals who fiercely believe in and support Islam, or Hinduism, or Buddhism. Individuals who have been instructed from a very early age that they ARE Muslim, or Hindu, or Buddhist. Or Christian. Individuals for whom it is simply unthinkable that Islam, or Hinduism, or Buddhism... or Christianity... might not be true. Despite the obvious unrealistic nature of many of the claims made by these beliefs.

What would happen if people actually stopped to honestly consider the nature of what it is they think they believe? They might just see how foolish their own claims have always been. God of course (one of the God's, for a Hindu) would be appalled.

And what you refuse to acknowledge is: WE'VE MET HIM. He is risen, He is the Lord. It's beyond the reasonings of carnally minded mortal men, because it's a SPIRITUAL experience. And once had, NO MAN can convince you it's not true. Peace

Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacecrusader888 View Post

Numbers 31

[15] And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
[16] Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.
[17]Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
[18] But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Joshua 6

[20] So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets: and it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city.
[21] And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

Joshua 11:

19 Except for the Hivites living in Gibeon, not one city made a treaty of peace with the Israelites, who took them all in battle. 20 For it was the Lord himself who hardened their hearts to wage war against Israel, so that he might destroy them totally, exterminating them without mercy, as the Lord had commanded Moses.

Ezekiel 9

[4] And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
[5] And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
[6]Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.
[7] And he said unto them, Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain: go ye forth. And they went forth, and slew in the city.

Samuel 1 15:

[2]Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.
[3] Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

This is the God of the OT; inhumane, irrational and without mercy. Where do you get your God from? Because I notice a huge difference between the God of your imagination, and the God described in the Bible.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:37 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
By their fruit you will know them.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
How ironic. You aren't aware that Saul/Paul had never met the Rabbi & admits in the NT that he was completely ignorant of his teachings?
So where did he get this 'Word of God' from? Hang on a minute ........ you don't think that he just filled in the blank pages with his own ideas that were heavily influenced by Paganism?

Saul/Paul does unashamedly confess to lying to 'further Gods glory' Jesus didn't know him. The Rabbis students were appalled at the nonsense that he was sprouting.

The facts are there but Christians wont even believe the very book that they claim is 'Divinely inspired', who use the 'faith' excuse to willfully ignore the blatant evidence that's right under their very noses.

Where he got it from was from spending many years being taught of the risen Lord he encountered on the road. Peace

Old 12-08-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
God doesn't "do business" at all. At least, not so that it is noticeable. What was God doing five years ago when Adam Lanza walked into the Sandy Hook elementary school classroom and shot 20 six year old children and their teacher in the head at point blank range? God stood quietly by and watched it occur, apparently. So tell me, what difference is there between a God who stands quietly by and watches as 20 six year old children are methodically executed, and a God who never existed to begin with? Because I don't see one. And if that does not serve as direct empirical evidence that no God exists, exactly what WOULD you consider evidence?

Bad things happening have NOTHING to do with whether or not G-d exists. He turned the creation over to fallen man and this is what you get. Peace

Old 12-08-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
And what you refuse to acknowledge is: WE'VE MET HIM. He is risen, He is the Lord. It's beyond the reasonings of carnally minded mortal men, because it's a SPIRITUAL experience. And once had, NO MAN can convince you it's not true. Peace
You've MET him! And yet in truth, everyone who lived 2,000 years ago DIED and has remained quite reliably dead.

My late aunt use to carry on an ongoing conversation with Jesus. He was right there in the room with her, according to her. None of us could hear his side of the conversation of course. But he was real to my aunt.

My aunt had a form of psychosis. Which means that she was in and out of touch with reality. She was prescribed meds to deal with it. But taking the meds offended Jesus, because he disappeared and refused to return until my aunt stopped taking the meds.

Am I suggesting that religion is a form of insanity? I certainly am! Having conversations with invisible dead people is only one symptom.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Bad things happening have NOTHING to do with whether or not G-d exists. He turned the creation over to fallen man and this is what you get. Peace
My question was, in what way does a God who does not and will not interact with us differ from a God who never existed in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity