Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 06:00 PM

237 posts, read 125,049 times

Advertisements

I'm just going to come out and say it.

It is a MAJOR challenge to be a Biblical Christian.

It's the hardest thing there is.

Indeed, there is a MASSIVE difference between popular, contemporary, cultural Christianity, and actual Biblical Christianity.

The average Christian doesn't really know much about the Bible other than some of the most basic concepts. They might know that homosexuality is viewed as sinful, but they don't realize that adultery and heterosexual fornication is viewed as equally bad, and that those who practice such won't inherit the kingdom of God (1 Corinthians 6:9-10). Given that some statistics indicate that nine out of ten Americans have sex before marriage, that means most won't be going to heaven, unless they actually repent from what they've done ("as such were some of you," "go and sin no more," etc.).

Cultural Christians will also repeat saccharine cliches like "it's a relationship, not a religion." This is a false dichotomy. God is our Father, so there is a relational element, but we are also to follow His commandments (John 14:15). To be a true Christian, you have to have a relationship, AND follow the commandments Jesus gave us. You can't have a relationship with no boundaries (or else adultery would be ok, for example), and faith without works is dead (James 2). Most of today's Christians are so fearful of becoming Pharisees (legalists) that they have become the opposite (given to license).

There are also many challenging Biblical topics that people like to evade, such as the condoning of slavery and the command that slaves are to be submissive even to cruel masters (1 Peter 2:18), the subservient roles of women and the disputes of whether we are male property or should work at all, the stringent regulations on sexuality (can't even look upon a woman or else committing adultery in the heart; "let there be not even a hint of sexual immorality" Ephesians 5:3), the requirement of female head coverings (1 Corinthians 11), trying to explain many of the strict Old Testament laws...there is SO MUCH to try to figure out. Merely believing in Jesus is NOT enough, or the New Testament would have ended with the four gospels, and Paul wouldn't have had to write so much. Even the devils believe in God (James 2:19), so you need more than just faith. Continually trying to dodge the difficult topics, while saying "just believe in Jesus," isn't going to cut it. There are many regulations to observe in addition to believing in Jesus. You can't just say you believe, and then continue to fornicate, or wear short hair in the church (if you're a woman), and so forth. These are mandates in the New Testament.

I wonder if I'll ever be able to figure it all out, reconcile all of it, or live up to it.

At times, I have the quiet peace of faith...but honestly, most of the time, I'm still struggling with all these things, and more.

A lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 06:27 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Thread moved from Religion and Spirituality to Christianity.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:41 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
First of all relax

Mar 12:29 Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
Mar 12:30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
Mar 12:31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Mar 12:32 And the scribe said to him, “You are right, Teacher. You have truly said that he is one, and there is no other besides him.
Mar 12:33 And to love him with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.”
Mar 12:34 And when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And after that no one dared to ask him any more questions.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:56 PM

1,183 posts, read 537,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khendra View Post

Indeed, there is a MASSIVE difference between popular, contemporary, cultural Christianity, and actual Biblical Christianity.

The average Christian doesn't really know much about the Bible other than some of the most basic concepts. They might know that homosexuality is viewed as sinful, but they don't realize that adultery and heterosexual fornication is viewed as equally bad, and that those who practice such won't inherit the kingdom of God (1 Corinthians 6:9-10). Given that some statistics indicate that nine out of ten Americans have sex before marriage, that means most won't be going to heaven, unless they actually repent from what they've done ("as such were some of you," "go and sin no more," etc.).

Cultural Christians will also repeat saccharine cliches like "it's a relationship, not a religion." This is a false dichotomy. God is our Father, so there is a relational element, but we are also to follow His commandments (John 14:15). To be a true Christian, you have to have a relationship, AND follow the commandments Jesus gave us. You can't have a relationship with no boundaries (or else adultery would be ok, for example), and faith without works is dead (James 2). Most of today's Christians are so fearful of becoming Pharisees (legalists) that they have become the opposite (given to license).

There are also many challenging Biblical topics that people like to evade, such as the condoning of slavery and the command that slaves are to be submissive even to cruel masters (1 Peter 2:18), the subservient roles of women and the disputes of whether we are male property or should work at all, the stringent regulations on sexuality (can't even look upon a woman or else committing adultery in the heart; "let there be not even a hint of sexual immorality" Ephesians 5:3), the requirement of female head coverings (1 Corinthians 11), trying to explain many of the strict Old Testament laws...there is SO MUCH to try to figure out. Merely believing in Jesus is NOT enough, or the New Testament would have ended with the four gospels, and Paul wouldn't have had to write so much. Even the devils believe in God (James 2:19), so you need more than just faith. Continually trying to dodge the difficult topics, while saying "just believe in Jesus," isn't going to cut it. There are many regulations to observe in addition to believing in Jesus. You can't just say you believe, and then continue to fornicate, or wear short hair in the church (if you're a woman), and so forth. These are mandates in the New Testament.

I wonder if I'll ever be able to figure it all out, reconcile all of it, or live up to it.

At times, I have the quiet peace of faith...but honestly, most of the time, I'm still struggling with all these things, and more.

A lot.
I actually feel the opposite. The Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit and is the main authority for our faith. I have never regretted for giving a kind word, keeping mouth shut, showing kindness, and speaking the Truth. All learned by listening to God through His Word.

I do feel in the minority because I think it is wrong that American churches focus more on entertainment than worshipping the Lord. The world is crazy. Many are so numb they just don’t see how bad it has gotten in the last 30 years.

Hang in there. I will pray for you bro/bra

Btw. In Peter .... referencing “slaves” I think it means someone who is subjugated to work, not an actually a slave as in ownership. 2 words for slave are used in Greek.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:59 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,245,767 times
Quote:

A lot.
I read your post with great interest. and you're correct. but may I say this? Christianity is not hard it's people in Christianity or who claim to be Christians, (Not putting anyone down), make it hard, because they are not "MADE" free, but are only "SET" free, big difference. hence the reason for the limited knowledge.

Every man and woman have the "measure" of faith, but some are not yet increased or developed passed the measure given, (again not putting anyone down).

they have learned, but in error, and some refused to listen, as our brother James says, "slow to speak, swift to listen".

some only the Lord will change.

GOOD topic, and honest.

be blessed

Old 03-15-2018, 07:12 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:

A lot.

Jesus provides a sure fire answer to end those struggles...

John 8:11 King James Version (KJV)

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:39 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,167,805 times
Quote:

A lot.

Heaven is going to be pretty bleak an lonely with about 15 super humans there who qualified......16 with you

Old 03-15-2018, 07:46 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Heaven is going to be pretty bleak an lonely with about 15 super humans there who qualified......16 with you
Psa 115:16 The heavens are the LORD's heavens, but the earth he has given to the children of man.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
I actually feel the opposite. The Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit and is the main authority for our faith.
I hear this a lot, but how do you know? How do you know that the Holy Spirit is the inspiration?

Old 03-15-2018, 09:28 PM

1,183 posts, read 537,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I hear this a lot, but how do you know? How do you know that the Holy Spirit is the inspiration?
If you serious about your inquiry I Would go to Gotquestions.org. Explanations are far better than what I could do...

(15 questions)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity