Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2017, 03:23 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,751,408 times

Advertisements

History of Thanksgiving - Thanksgiving - HISTORY.com

The History of the First Thanksgiving – History of Massachusetts Blog

Greeting

The first Pilgrims to reach America seeking religious freedom were English and settled in Massachusetts.
It wasn’t until 1840 that the term “Pilgrim” came to refer early Mayflower settlers.
Some fifty years before the Mayflower left port, a band of French colonists came to the New World.
Later English Pilgrims, these where Protestants persecuted for there Christian belief.

Matt 11:25 I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

Romans 1:8-9 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;

Romans 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered on to you.
Romans 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

1 Cor 10:30 For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?

2 Cor 2:15-16 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:
To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?

2 Cor 4:15-18 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.
For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Last edited by TheWordIsOne; 11-23-2017 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 03:38 PM

1 Thess 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:10 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,243 times
The kind of Love, Jesus spoke of is being thanksgiving everyday. Why would one need set a day aside to prove it?

Old 11-23-2017, 05:00 PM

Phil 4:4-7 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:43 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,330,840 times
actually, the pilgrims were Christians persecuted by OTHER Christians for their differing Christian beliefs. in England they would have been called "puritans", "dissenters", "independents" or "separatists" since they did not want to worship according in the manner of the (Protestant) Church of England and wished to be independent or separate from it.

at that time in "merry olde England" anyone who did not publically subscribe to the Protestant "church by law established" (the original "establishment") was liable to fines, imprisonment, or much worse whether they were "recusant" Catholics or "non-conformist" Protestants.

if I recall correctly they may have referred to themselves as "saints" in the same manner that some of the early Christians used that term.

OTOH, their desire for "freedom of religion" in the new world was for their beliefs only and in fact people who did not conform to the puritan form of Christianity were at best barely tolerated and just as often proscribed and persecuted in a way not especially different from the treatment the puritans earlier had endured in England.

that said, their desire to celebrate their harvest and therefore their survival in a hard and hostile new world and give thanks to God for this cannot be faulted and can be a continuing inspiration and example about our own awareness of and humble gratitude to God for the (sometimes unmerited) blessings He has given to us individually and collectively on this particular day and every other day as well---and to share those blessings we have received with others.

in the peace of Christ.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 11-23-2017 at 08:12 PM..

Old 11-23-2017, 06:53 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWordIsOne View Post
History of Thanksgiving - Thanksgiving - HISTORY.com

The History of the First Thanksgiving – History of Massachusetts Blog

Greeting

The first Pilgrims to reach America seeking religious freedom were English and settled in Massachusetts.
It wasn’t until 1840 that the term “Pilgrim” came to refer early Mayflower settlers.
Some fifty years before the Mayflower left port, a band of French colonists came to the New World.
Later English Pilgrims, these where Protestants persecuted for there Christian belief.

Matt 11:25 I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

Romans 1:8-9 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;

Romans 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered on to you.
Romans 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

1 Cor 10:30 For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?

2 Cor 2:15-16 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:
To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?

2 Cor 4:15-18 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God.
For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Your point?...

Old 11-24-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Your point?...

it's not a pagan holiday, 0r to enjoy idols' it is a feast of the first-fruits.

enjoy life best way of being HAPPY

Last edited by TheWordIsOne; 11-24-2017 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity