Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 09:27 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
By “mature” they mean liberal.
Even they do not deny being liberal, but of course if you or I say it, they will accuse us of something or the other. You can't say anything here without the progressives lashing out at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 09:31 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Even they do not deny being liberal, but of course if you or I say it, they will accuse us of something or the other. You can't say anything here without the progressives lashing out at you.
LOL.

When your dishonestly is pointed out (yet again) you call it "lashing out" and an "attack."

Typical shucking of any personal responsibility and hypocritically trying to foist it on others.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
LOL.

When your dishonestly is pointed out (yet again) you call it "lashing out" and an "attack."

Typical shucking of any personal responsibility and hypocritically trying to foist it on others.
Yes, your insults and personal attacks make me wonder what protects you from being permanently banned from City Data. I do not know any other board where your behavior would be tolerated.

You accused me of dishonesty, and when I asked you what your disagreement was, you were incapable of explaining it because everyone can see the description which you call dishonest is actually an accurate one.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:53 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
And in your usual dishonest fashion, omitted the source of the quote: Gotquestions.org

In other words, a fundie site.

Gee, what a surprise they'd have a jaundiced view of Christians who actually focus on doing good works instead of pompous posturing and regurgitating scripture.
Quote:
Is this attack your way of saying you disagree with it? Which part do you disagree with?

Are you saying they do not focus on social justice? Based on the posts from people here, they focus on it heavily.

Are you saying they believe the Bible IS the word of God? Based on what people post here, they do not believe it to be so. As a matter of fact, they make a hobby out of arguing it is NOT the word of God.

Are you saying they do NOT believe in collective salvation? Again, the posts here prove they do believe in it.

What are you disagreeing with? What's up with the outrage?

Or are you lashing out just the the sake of lashing out?
Maybe he means because you left out the last sentence of the paragraph: "Each claim and belief of any movement should be filtered through the Word of God, and whatever does not line up with Scripture should be rejected" and is pointing out that the true purpose of the article is to warn fundamentalists against "progressive Christianity".

While I'm not personally thrilled with the term, I suppose it provides a descriptor as does "fundamentalist" Christianity to distinguish between the two.

I've never heard anyone refer to "collective salvation" OR "personal salvation" in an Episcopal church. Being "saved" from a fiery hell is not a thing with us.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe he means because you left out the last sentence of the paragraph: "Each claim and belief of any movement should be filtered through the Word of God, and whatever does not line up with Scripture should be rejected" and is pointing out that the true purpose of the article is to warn fundamentalists against "progressive Christianity".
Who knows. As you can see he is unable to explain the reason for his outburst.

Or course each claim should filtered through the Word of God (aka the Bible), but that makes sense only if you trust the Word of God. Filtering claims through the Word of God is precisely what "fundamentalists" do and are attacked for by the progressives.

Do you mind being called "proggie"?

Quote:
I've never heard anyone refer to "collective salvation" OR "personal salvation" in an Episcopal church. Being "saved" from a fiery hell is not a thing with us.
What does salvation mean in your church, and what happens if one is not saved? If you believe there is no hell, or that one will end up there, then you believe in collective salvation, or annihilation. Do you believe in annihilation?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:06 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Yes, your insults and personal attacks make me wonder what protects you from being permanently banned from City Data. I do not know any other board where your behavior would be tolerated.

You accused me of dishonesty, and when I asked you what your disagreement was, you were incapable of explaining it because everyone can see the description which you call dishonest is actually an accurate one.
I hear the spluttering, immature protestations of a <bleep>.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-27-2017 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: because

Old 11-27-2017, 11:21 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
TD has explained the reasons for his dislike of fundamentalists a number of times.

Quote:
Or course each claim should filtered through the Word of God (aka the Bible), but that makes sense only if you trust the Word of God. Filtering claims through the Word of God is precisely what "fundamentalists" do and are attacked for by the progressives.
That's not quite accurate. The attacks are because it goes beyond filtering to exultation over the idea of other people roasting in hell--which is almost all of the time--and claiming that only the special people--who happen to be the fundamentalists--have knowledge of or access to God. The attacks are because instead of using the Bible to ask questions and have discussions about being better humans, the filtering and interpretation is used to decide who in our society and in the larger world should be rejected and trod upon and mistreated.

Progressive Christians believe that's wrong.

Quote:
Never been called that, and I think you just made it up, but nope.

Quote:
What does salvation mean in your church, and what happens if one is not saved? If you believe there is no hell, or that one will end up there, then you believe in collective salvation, or annihilation. Do you believe in annihilation?
It's easy enough to look up the Episcopal Church's thoughts on the concept of salvation. it's not likely something that can be expressed in a sentence or two. Episcopalians are traditionally scholars and thinkers and questioners, which is at odds with fundamentalist practices. Bear in mind that although I attend an Episcopal Church, that does not mean that my personal thoughts and beliefs line up with everything that they or any other organization might declare as their stand. I go to an Episcopal Church because the specific church community I found is a place where caring for one another is practiced. Frankly, "salvation" is not something I personally spend a lot of time thinking about.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
TD has explained the reasons for his dislike of fundamentalists a number of times.
His dislike of certain groups of people is well documented, but that is not the point here. I posted a quote which I think is an honest and accurate description of progressive views, and he blew a gasket and lashed out with personal attacks. I asked him what he disagreed with, and he is unable to explain it. Instead he is posting more insults.

Quote:
It's easy enough to look up the Episcopal Church's thoughts on the concept of salvation.
Interesting that you would not answer. I found two versions, one claiming we need to do something in order to be saved, and the other saying it is unclear, but we will be saved. One sounds like any other church, which preach salvation through faith, and the other sounds like a universalist:

1. It is only through opening our hearts that our sins can be washed away. - CHARLES FULTON

2. it is unclear when our salvation is accomplished. If we just look at only St. Paul’ understanding of Salvation we find that
We will be saved. - Rev. Stuart Schadt

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-27-2017 at 12:10 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 12:00 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
And in your usual dishonest fashion, omitted the source of the quote: Gotquestions.org

In other words, a fundie site.

Gee, what a surprise they'd have a jaundiced view of Christians who actually focus on doing good works instead of pompous posturing and regurgitating scripture.

Trout, you gasket blower . He really is such a sensitive guy is Finn.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:05 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:

I love proggies with lots of butter and garlic.

yes, its called liberal christian. or the middle men, using what they have to do the best they can. to bad fundies hood wink them all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity