Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 09:53 AM

678 posts, read 429,435 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing this will turn into a lot of bashing, but if anyone wants to just list a couple of the most progressive forms of Christianity, we could just leave it at that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 09:58 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Atheism.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:03 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Unitarian seems quite progressive. Friends/Quakers are slightly progressive, but really, they're mostly void of the worldly garbage passing around these days. They're a good healthy bunch.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:39 AM

678 posts, read 429,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Atheism.
I do find many atheists and humanists very altruistic, selfless and having great morals. I also find similar qualities with many Christians that I'm around. Guess a lot depends on who one is surrounded by.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:40 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,926 times
Any teaching not of the God of the Bible is destructive, not progressive.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:44 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I do find many atheists and humanists very altruistic, selfless and having great morals.
How is it selfless to ignore and denigrate the God of the Bible and even teach your children to do the same? They are causing genocide, so where are their morals? People have a twisted view of reality.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:47 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Any teaching not of the God of the Bible is destructive, not progressive.
If there were a "God of the Bible" instead of a plethora of conflicting ideas ABOUT God in the Bible you might have a point. The problem comes from trying to incorporate many of the impressions about God that are counter to what Jesus revealed.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:50 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I do find many atheists and humanists very altruistic, selfless and having great morals. I also find similar qualities with many Christians that I'm around. Guess a lot depends on who one is surrounded by.
I think it has a lot to do with a persons outlook more than their religious affiliation. Some people believe other people are fundamentally good and behave toward others as if that were the case. They see high levels of reciprocity instead of strife. If you believe humans are fundamentally evil you are unlikely to behave in an altruistic way. You're also more likely to interrupt friendly or neutral signals as hostile if that's what you expect to see.

Luke 6
45 The good person out of the good treasure of the heart produces good, and the evil person out of evil treasure produces evil; for it is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:59 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think it has a lot to do with a persons outlook more than their religious affiliation. Some people believe other people are fundamentally good and behave toward others as if that were the case.
Great points. I often forget that what I see is so different from what others see, especially people new to the church or Christianity. Many do not have the awareness that comes with time and wisdom, and truly believe that those around them are good and have healthy intentions. But extremely important is the other side of the coin; at keeping aware of what is going on around them, and watching out for wolves in sheep's clothing.

There's a lot of the support and belief in people these days - near to the point of blind faith in others, no matter the costs - and not enough caution and keeping one's eyes. It's really skewed and off-balance. There are plenty of troublemakers that even endorse the thought that's it's dangerous or a sin to question authority. Just shut your mouth, and be an obedient puppet.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:02 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
The United Church in Canada is quite progressive as are many Anglicans/Episcopalians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity