Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:34 AM

709 posts, read 377,974 times

Advertisements

The word of God is the bread, which gives the life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
needs mayo

Old 11-29-2017, 10:04 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
John 6:51-54 - "I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh." 52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, "How can this man give us His flesh to eat?" 53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. 54 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:13 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times

Old 11-29-2017, 10:17 AM

Do you really believe Jesus is advocating cannibalism? Especially when the law forbade eating blood...

Leviticus 17:10-11 - `And any man from the house of Israel, or from the aliens who sojourn among them, who eats any blood, I will set My face against that person who eats blood and will cut him off from among his people. 11 `For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement.'

Old 11-29-2017, 10:25 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Do you really believe Jesus is advocating cannibalism? Especially when the law forbade eating blood...

Leviticus 17:10-11 - `And any man from the house of Israel, or from the aliens who sojourn among them, who eats any blood, I will set My face against that person who eats blood and will cut him off from among his people. 11 `For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement.'
So that's metaphorical but hell isn't?

That's metaphorical but the Adam/Eve/Noah stories are not?

Loaves and fishes...? Metaphorical or actual?

Do YOU really believe Jesus died and got better a couple of days later? Or is it a metaphorical story of spiritual rebirth?

Old 11-29-2017, 10:41 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:

Location?
Where is the Bread?

]And he shall slaughter the young bull before the Lord. And Aaron's descendants, the kohanim, shall bring the blood, and dash the blood upon the altar, around [the altar] which is at the entrance of the Tent of Meeting.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
So that's metaphorical but hell isn't?

That's metaphorical but the Adam/Eve/Noah stories are not?

Loaves and fishes...? Metaphorical or actual?

Do YOU really believe Jesus died and got better a couple of days later? Or is it a metaphorical story of spiritual rebirth?
TD - Jesus is in no way intending people to eat His flesh, and drink His blood. If you read further, the people who heard this had your same reaction.

John 6:60-61 - Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this said, "This is a difficult statement; who can listen to it?" 61 But Jesus, conscious that His disciples grumbled at this, said to them, "Does this cause you to stumble?

John 6:66 - As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore.

In between, Jesus said this...

John 6:56-58 - "For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 "As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me. 58 "This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever."

John 6:63 - "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

Therefore - eating the flesh profits nothing.

Maybe He described following Him in this way in order to thin out the crowd so only true followers of Him were following Him - because many were only interested in Him because He had just done a miracle and fed 5,000+ people - and they just wanted Him to feed them some more and do more tricks.

John 6:67-69 - So Jesus said to the twelve, "You do not want to go away also, do you?" 68 Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. 69 "We have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God."

That's what Jesus wants... belief in Him.

My point is He had a purpose for using those words, and it wasn't literal.

--------------------------

When Jesus mentions hell, it is literal - as He gave warnings at various times to the Jews in that day.

Matthew 5:29-30 - "If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. "If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell.

Matthew 18:9 - "If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell.

Matthew 10:28 - "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

---------------------

It is absolutely essential to eternal life (salvation) to believe Jesus rose from the dead. He predicted it. He did it. The writers wrote about it. That's what God sent Him to do for the world. People only need to believe that - and God sends us what we need for eternal life.

As I quoted in John 6:53-54 - Jesus was really saying you need to have Him to have life in yourselves... for eternal life. You get Him upon believing in His death, burial, and physical resurrection from the dead.

1 John 5:10-12 - The one who believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself; the one who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has given concerning His Son. 11 And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12 He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:50 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
TD - Jesus is in now way intending people to eat His flesh, and drink His blood. If you read further, the people who heard this had your same reaction.

John 6:60-61 - Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this said, "This is a difficult statement; who can listen to it?" 61 But Jesus, conscious that His disciples grumbled at this, said to them, "Does this cause you to stumble?

John 6:66 - As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore.

In between, Jesus said this...

John 6:56-58 - "For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 "As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me. 58 "This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever."

John 6:63 - "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

Therefore - eating the flesh profits nothing.

Maybe He described following Him in this way in order to thin out the crowd so only true followers of Him were following Him - because they were only interested in Him because He had just done a miracle and fed 5,000+ people.

John 6:67-69 - So Jesus said to the twelve, "You do not want to go away also, do you?" 68 Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. 69 "We have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God."

That's what Jesus wants... belief in Him.

My point is He had a purpose for using those words, and it wasn't literal.

--------------------------

When Jesus mentions hell, it is literal - as He gave warnings at various times to the Jews in that day.

Matthew 5:29-30 - "If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. "If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell.

Matthew 18:9 - "If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell.

Matthew 10:28 - "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

---------------------

It is absolutely essential to eternal life (salvation) to believe Jesus rose from the dead. He predicted it. He did it. The writers wrote about it. That's what God sent Him to do for the world. People only need to believe that - and God sends us what we need for eternal life.

As I quoted in John 6:53-54 - Jesus was really saying you need to have Him to have life in yourselves.
In short, you believe what you want to believe. If it "tickles your ears" it's fact. If it doesn't, it's metaphor.

Typical fundie "logic."

Sorry, I simply cannot turn the rational side of my brain off at will -- which is what is required to believe what you do.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Location?
Where is the Bread?

]And he shall slaughter the young bull before the Lord. And Aaron's descendants, the kohanim, shall bring the blood, and dash the blood upon the altar, around [the altar] which is at the entrance of the Tent of Meeting.
With regards to why God sent Jesus, the animals and Tent of Meeting are irrelevant. His blood would be shed once and for all for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity