Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 02:55 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,408 times

Advertisements

THESE ARE MY BELIEFS AS A MEMBER OF THE SHILOH TRUELIGHT CHURCH

I have been a member of the Shiloh Truelight church for many years. We had thought we were the only true Christian CHURCH, but our elder about fifty years ago preached to us that this was wrong. See Mark:[38] And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. [39] But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
For the last fifty years we have been taught not to judge other people over their religious beliefs, that they are to answer to their God.

Timothy Keller in his book, THE REASON FOR GOD, Belief in an Age of Skepticism, wrote that,"Good works may produce a great deal of moral behavior in your life, but inside you are filled with self-righteousness, cruelty and bigotry. You are always comparing yourself to other people and are never sure you are being good enough - by trying to be a good person through an act of will. You need a complete transformation of the very motives of your heart."
He wrote that the devil prefers Pharisees, who try to save themselves, rather than trusting Jesus to save them. We read in Eph. 2:[8] For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast. See Luke 18:[9] And Jesus spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:[10]Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. [11] The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. [12]I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. [13]And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. [14] I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
Jesus said in Luke 11: [13] If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? See also Matt. 7: [7] Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
See Matt. 7: [21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. .
See also 1 John 4:[8] He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 20] If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

If you have accepted Jesus as your Savior and have the Holy Spirit and truly desire to do the will of our heavenly Father, that Holy Spirit will do good works in and through you and you will have nothing of which you can boast. And you can enter the kingdom of heaven when you die.

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 12-10-2017 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: this is a duplicate thread and should be deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 04:29 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Wow, the one true church. So there’s only gonna be 50 people in heaven???

Old 12-10-2017, 04:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
...snip...

If you have accepted Jesus as your Savior and have the Holy Spirit and truly desire to do the will of our heavenly Father, that Holy Spirit will do good works in and through you and you will have nothing of which you can boast. And you can enter the kingdom of heaven when you die.
And so will those who do/have not.

Amen.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:20 AM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And so pkwill those who do/have not.
Amen.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:45 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I would be turned off by a church with such a silly name.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:20 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,164,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
THESE ARE MY BELIEFS AS A MEMBER OF THE SHILOH TRUELIGHT CHURCH

I have been a member of the Shiloh Truelight church for many years. We had thought we were the only true Christian CHURCH, but our elder about fifty years ago preached to us that this was wrong. See Mark:[38] And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. [39] But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
For the last fifty years we have been taught not to judge other people over their religious beliefs, that they are to answer to their God.

Timothy Keller in his book, THE REASON FOR GOD, Belief in an Age of Skepticism, wrote that,"Good works may produce a great deal of moral behavior in your life, but inside you are filled with self-righteousness, cruelty and bigotry. You are always comparing yourself to other people and are never sure you are being good enough - by trying to be a good person through an act of will. You need a complete transformation of the very motives of your heart."
He wrote that the devil prefers Pharisees, who try to save themselves, rather than trusting Jesus to save them. We read in Eph. 2:[8] For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast. See Luke 18:[9] And Jesus spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:[10]Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. [11] The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. [12]I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. [13]And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. [14] I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
Jesus said in Luke 11: [13] If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? See also Matt. 7: [7] Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
See Matt. 7: [21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. .
See also 1 John 4:[8] He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 20] If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

There are tons of "one true churches" out there, with most of them cults. Currently there is only one group saved with the Holy Spirit knitting them together with Jesus as the head. Known as the "body of Christ". Find out the entrance requirements to this and you will really have something.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:47 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,408 times
Default Some of my strongest beliefs in the christian faith

SOME OF MY STRONGEST BELIEFS IN THE CHRISTIAN FAITH

I believe that the words of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount gives the best formula for bringing peace with our neighbors. He said in Matt. 5:[43] Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. [44] But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.

I believe further that God would be greatly pleased if everyone on the face of the earth would be saved. See 2 Peter 3:[9] The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any of them should perish.

Jesus said in Luke 15:[4] What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? . . . . [7] I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

See the words of Jesus in Luke 18:[9] And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: [10] Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. [11] The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. [12] I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. [13] And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. [14] I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

I believe that many who claim to be followers of Christ are trying to save themselves by doing good works. Paul wrote in Ephesians 2:[8] For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
[9] Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Timothy Keller in his book, THE REASON FOR GOD [Belief in an Age
of Skepticism] wrote that,"Good works may produce a great deal of
moral behavior in your life, but inside you are filled
with self-righteousness, cruelty and bigotry [like the Pharisee above.] You are always comparing yourself to other people and are never sure you are
being good enough - by trying to be a good person through an act of will. You need a complete transformation of the very motives of your heart."

I understand that the scribes and Pharisees in the lifetime of Jesus had over 600 individual laws that they claimed to be following, but Jesus said in Matt. 22:37-40 that the law of righteousness was encompassed in the two great commandments to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and to love our neighbor as much as we love ourselves.

The Apostle Paul summarized it all in Rom. 7:[6] But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

If we TRULY REPENT of our past sins and believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God we will inherit everlasting life. But we must receive the Holy Spirit, which Jesus said our heavenly Father would surely give to every one who asks Him for it.

Jesus said in Luke 1:13] If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

If we have truly repented, that Spirit will make it possible for us to bring forth some of the fruits of the Spirit - see Gal. 5:[22] But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, [23] Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. [24] And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. [25] If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

If we have received the Holy Spirit and are willing to follow His guidance, we will all make many mistakes as we grow in our knowledge of the truth, but John tells us in 1 John 1:[9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

My precious wife Celia inspired me to label the following as some of my favorite verses in the New Testament:
James 3: [17] But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

Phillipians:4: [11] Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.[12] I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.[13] I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Best wishes to all who are seeking to know the will of God, AND ARE SEEKING TO DO IT.

Bob Prince [rprin47@gmail.com]

Old 08-12-2018, 02:31 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Hi Robert. Good post. One thing I'd like to point out though is that when Jesus said in Luke 11:13;
Luke 11:13 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?",
The church-age had not yet begun and so the Holy Spirit did not yet universally indwell all believers as He does now. During the age of Israel in which Jesus lived, died, and was resurrected, a person could ask to be endued with the Holy Spirit. But since the beginning of the church-age, with a few exceptions right at the very beginning of the church, every believer is automatically indwelt by the Holy Spirit and there is no need to ask to receive Him.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:15 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
The Spirit of life dwells within all of humanity, but not all are a representative of that which is holy.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:15 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Hi Robert. Good post. One thing I'd like to point out though is that when Jesus said in Luke 11:13;
Luke 11:13 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?",
The church-age had not yet begun and so the Holy Spirit did not yet universally indwell all believers as He does now. During the age of Israel in which Jesus lived, died, and was resurrected, a person could ask to be endued with the Holy Spirit. But since the beginning of the church-age, with a few exceptions right at the very beginning of the church, every believer is automatically indwelt by the Holy Spirit and there is no need to ask to receive Him.
::Sigh:: If only you realized that the death and REBIRTH of Jesus as Holy Spirit within the collective human consciousness is why EVERYONE is indwelt by the Holy Spirit, you would realize that all your concern over what or who to believe is irrelevant. Just listen to Jesus who abides with us as the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us ALL to the Truth God has "written in our hearts" so we do NOT need any human to teach us. Act out of agape love for God and each other and you cannot "sin" or in any other way offend God or Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity