Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 09:36 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times

Advertisements

Atheists (and sometimes Muslims) are always trying to discredit Christianity. One of the ways they do that is by trying to poke holes in the idea of the historical Jesus, saying that Jesus is a purely fictional character. Not only real historians typically believe there is sufficient grounds for a real-life Jesus making that attempt stupid because about all debatable is whether the miracles happened, but it completely misses the point. Why does it miss the point? Well, I'll get to that, but first, this other thing.

The other thing they try is the approach that Christianity and/or Judaism is a borrowed religion because similar figures existed. Yes, this is true. But it misses the point even worse.

What is the point? Well, oddly enough I discovered it from watching the Last Jedi. They were basically saying that because the force is in nature all around, it does not reside in one person. If all of the Christians were to be martyred tomorrow, nothing would change. Because Jesus Christ is just another iteration of the same being by different names. The Savior.
10 Christ-like Figures Who Pre-Date Jesus - Listverse

They forgot Mithra and Osiris possibly Thor.

All of these religions point to the same thing. God as human, God as one of us, God as sacrificing and getting hurt for our sake. Just as God is more than Judaism and Christianity but part of nature and the universe and in fact all of Creation, Jesus is an eternal figure that has always appeared to humans and always will.

The Canadian Creed, everyone.

Quote:
We are not alone,
we live in God’s world.
We believe in God:
who has created and is creating,
who has come in Jesus,
the Word made flesh,
to reconcile and make new,
who works in us and others
by the Spirit.
We trust in God.
We are called to be the Church:
to celebrate God’s presence,
to live with respect in Creation,
to love and serve others,
to seek justice and resist evil,
to proclaim Jesus, crucified and risen,
our judge and our hope.
In life, in death, in life beyond death,
God is with us.
We are not alone.
Thanks be to God.
Jesus will always walk among us. We are not alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 02:57 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Still if all Christians were martyred God would judge the world and put down any one who worships the beast , has the mark of the beast or his number , as it definitely would not just be the same ....... Because God as a plan and martyring all Christians is not the plan

Old 12-15-2017, 06:49 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Still if all Christians were martyred God would judge the world and put down any one who worships the beast , has the mark of the beast or his number , as it definitely would not just be the same ....... Because God as a plan and martyring all Christians is not the plan
But mankind has free will...if God has his master plan and following it to a tee, what is the benefit of our free will if we are not really allowed/encouraged to exercise it?

The more I think about it the more I believe christianity was created as a means to control the population.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:34 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Atheists (and sometimes Muslims) are always trying to discredit Christianity. One of the ways they do that is by trying to poke holes in the idea of the historical Jesus, saying that Jesus is a purely fictional character. Not only real historians typically believe there is sufficient grounds for a real-life Jesus making that attempt stupid because about all debatable is whether the miracles happened, but it completely misses the point. Why does it miss the point? Well, I'll get to that, but first, this other thing.

The other thing they try is the approach that Christianity and/or Judaism is a borrowed religion because similar figures existed. Yes, this is true. But it misses the point even worse.

What is the point? Well, oddly enough I discovered it from watching the Last Jedi. They were basically saying that because the force is in nature all around, it does not reside in one person. If all of the Christians were to be martyred tomorrow, nothing would change. Because Jesus Christ is just another iteration of the same being by different names. The Savior.
10 Christ-like Figures Who Pre-Date Jesus - Listverse

They forgot Mithra and Osiris possibly Thor.

All of these religions point to the same thing. God as human, God as one of us, God as sacrificing and getting hurt for our sake. Just as God is more than Judaism and Christianity but part of nature and the universe and in fact all of Creation, Jesus is an eternal figure that has always appeared to humans and always will.

The Canadian Creed, everyone.

Jesus will always walk among us. We are not alone.
So wait....I see what you did there......you started out as defending Jesus, then turned it into a great big "we are family" thing and said Jesus is just a concept!

Wow....that was a clever twisting of the truth that I haven't seen before.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
But mankind has free will...if God has his master plan and following it to a tee, what is the benefit of our free will if we are not really allowed/encouraged to exercise it?

The more I think about it the more I believe christianity was created as a means to control the population.
What chapter and verse says that man's free will trump's God's will?

Old 12-15-2017, 07:57 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

The more I think about it the more I believe Christianity was created as a means to control the population.
if a train goes from point A to point B and everyone on earth is on that train, How does that fact take away anything right to OH heck.. throw momma from the train.. kill someone on the train or rape someone on the train .. Love someone on the train... being on a train doesn't take away anyone rights to be stupid or smart with their time and resources..

your view of or ideas about what free will is are very limited to just blaming others for your actions won't take away your responsibility for what you do on that train. " the second sin was the blame game... " the woman made me do it "
time is just the train on a track.. the train or the track does not take away anyone's rights.
But God knows where the train is going and he knows who makes it to the destination.
and you want to blame him for knowing that info .. as it took away your rights somehow. if you get stupid and throw your momma from the train and someones shoots your dumb fanny for it, because you were drunk and really threw his momma from the train.. .. what does that have to do with God's choices and God's free will? because God is Royal too, and he likes free will //// those are your choices and that was your kind of stupid not his!! He didn't' make you or anyone do it.
He tells us not to do that kind of thing ( 10 commandments ) so that you Might live a long life.. but you are still trying to blame him for your choices!

Old 12-15-2017, 12:17 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What chapter and verse says that man's free will trump's God's will?
What chapter and verse says God does not accomplish his will ?. That is a question i would like answered from anyone.

I know there is a poster on here who says it's God's will that he doesn't want any to sin, but this is not necessarily true according to the scriptures, because my bible says that he placed all of us in unbelief or into disobedience that he might have mercy on all.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What chapter and verse says God does not accomplish his will ?. That is a question i would like answered from anyone.
Nowhere. God is sovereign and will accomplish what he has said.
Quote:
I know there is a poster on here who says it's God's will that he doesn't want any to sin,
Do you believe he does want people to sin?
Quote:

but this is not necessarily true according to the scriptures, because my bible says that he placed all of us in unbelief or into disobedience that he might have mercy on all.
Can you explain the context of Romans 11 and explain what the chapter is talking about? Or will you just half-quote verses from it and twist the meaning?

Old 12-15-2017, 12:31 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Nowhere. God is sovereign and will accomplish what he has said.

Do you believe he does want people to sin?

Can you explain the context of Romans 11 and explain what the chapter is talking about? Or will you just half-quote verses from it and twist the meaning?
We know according to the scriptures that his word never fail and accomplishes that which is sent out to do.

Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89
In other words if God has said it, it will be done.

Do you believe Romans 11:32 where he bound the people in unbelief which is sin(regardless of number or nation), do you believe that he wanted Pharoah to harden his own heart or God cause him to sin, or do you believe what Pharoah did was not sin?.

Explain to me what Romans 11 is all about in a brief sentence, because from what you are saying you know what it's about.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
We know according to the scriptures that his word never fail and accomplishes that which is sent out to do.
So you DO believe that God wants us to disobey his commands and sin? Yes or no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity