Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 04:39 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

In terms of the day of judgement, what do you think is meant by Day of the Lord, as used in the Bible? I once heard a (conservative, surprisingly) Christian say that each chapter of Revelation was like a new retelling of the same thing.

I have my own understanding. I may share it later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 04:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
In terms of the day of judgement, what do you think is meant by Day of the Lord, as used in the Bible? I once heard a (conservative, surprisingly) Christian say that each chapter of Revelation was like a new retelling of the same thing.

I have my own understanding. I may share it later.
I think the only people who should be allowed to parse Revelation are mystics like our own Hannibal.

All others - don't go there. Nothing good can come of it.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think the only people who should be allowed to parse Revelation are mystics like our own Hannibal.

All others - don't go there. Nothing good can come of it.
But anyone can get a general idea of how something feels when reading it. I'm not into analyzing it in depth or anything like that.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:00 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
I've got my own take on what it means, or what the people of the centuries around 1-BC - 1 AD thought it meant, but I doubt anyone wants to hear it any more than I want to type it.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:07 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,972,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I've got my own take on what it means, or what the people of the centuries around 1-BC - 1 AD thought it meant, but I doubt anyone wants to hear it any more than I want to type it.
Since Revelation was written at the end of the first century AD common era, then the people of the centuries around 1 BC and 1 AD had No access to Revelation because it was written after their time frame.
Besides the setting for Revelation 1:10 is for our day, for our time frame. Revelation was written for us.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:15 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Thread moved from R&S to Christianity (for obvious reasons).

Old 05-18-2018, 05:17 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Since Revelation was written at the end of the first century AD common era, then the people of the centuries around 1 BC and 1 AD had No access to Revelation because it was written after their time frame.
Besides the setting for Revelation 1:10 is for our day, for our time frame. Revelation was written for us.
I find it amusing that the kind of apologists who attest to an oral tradition for Noah's account of the Ark story going back to 3,000 BC, predating any Johnny - come -lately Sumerian versions will at need postulate that something written at the end of the 1st c AD can't be drawing on Pharisee tradition going back a hundred years or so.

And the tenor of the Gospels indicated that they thought it was imminent. It was going to happen when they were still alive. It isn't for us today, not by a couple of thousand years.

And since this is going where it belongs - Christianity - I'll leave you to it.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Thread moved from R&S to Christianity (for obvious reasons).
I would have rather kept it in Religion. I know the difference between these forums. This has to do with both Christianity and Judaism, and probably Islam. There is a lot more about this in the Old Testament than the New. I want to hear what the religious non-Christians think about this also.

I don't think this is necessarily a Christian idea anyway.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
It's not even a part of Revelation. I just mentioned it because Revelation was based so much upon the Old Testament.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I find it amusing that the kind of apologists who attest to an oral tradition for Noah's account of the Ark story going back to 3,000 BC, predating any Johnny - come -lately Sumerian versions will at need postulate that something written at the end of the 1st c AD can't be drawing on Pharisee tradition going back a hundred years or so.

And the tenor of the Gospels indicated that they thought it was imminent. It was going to happen when they were still alive. It isn't for us today, not by a couple of thousand years.

And since this is going where it belongs - Christianity - I'll leave you to it.
You obviously don't know much about this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity