Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 05:00 AM

555 posts, read 2,211,433 times

Advertisements

I have always grown up in the church. My parents were Christians and all my siblings and myself accepted Christ at a very early age. I was 5 when I accepted Christ and I remember it so clearly to this day. My parents did not pressure me, I willingly knew this was what I wanted to do. But, because I was in Sunday School every week, it was easy for me to accept Christ and believe. What is it like though for adults who came from a different background to accept a teaching not familiar with what they grew up with, especially those with like a Hindu, Muslim, Jewish or agnostic background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 10:22 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post

What is it like though for adults who came from a different background to accept a teaching not familiar with what they grew up with, especially those with like a Hindu, Muslim, Jewish or agnostic background.

In a word:

Extremely difficult.

Take gentle care.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:15 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,237,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
I have always grown up in the church. My parents were Christians and all my siblings and myself accepted Christ at a very early age. I was 5 when I accepted Christ and I remember it so clearly to this day. My parents did not pressure me, I willingly knew this was what I wanted to do. But, because I was in Sunday School every week, it was easy for me to accept Christ and believe. What is it like though for adults who came from a different background to accept a teaching not familiar with what they grew up with, especially those with like a Hindu, Muslim, Jewish or agnostic background.
SouthernBelle3,
I have an uncle by marriage that is or was Muslim. When he met and started dating my Dad's sister it caused a lot of trouble in the family (All Southern Baptist) To make a long story short my Dad ask him to compare the Bible to the Curran (sp?) and he would do like wise. If my uncle found the Bible to be false my Dad told him he would convert to Muslim.
Now my Dad was very sincere. Needless to say my uncle accepted Christ in about a month and is a devout Christian.

I was having some trouble with a young man that I worked with a couple of years ago that lived in my neighborhood. Every time I went through his work area he would have some off the wall comment to me about being a Christian.
I had to do a lot of praying not to let my pride take over and to try and treat him the way that I thought Christ would want me to. This young man was raised in a very rough home and had never been to church.
After about a year of this, he came to me one day and ask me how to become a Christian. He accepted Christ right then and there at my work table.

I don't know how difficult it is for a non believer. But I do know if you live it others will see it and there is no other way to lead someone to Christ except through love.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:59 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
I don't know how difficult it is for a non believer. But I do know if you live it others will see it and there is no other way to lead someone to Christ except through love.
Thefer, that is so true! I tend to shy away from people who talk too much about Christianity~ not all people, just a certain few. I can't quite explain it.

And I can honestly say I have only met a handful of people who "walked their faith" to where I ~knew~ there was something in that person's heart that was different. And those few never mentioned religion. It was very apparent in their every action. I have great respect for those kind of people. It must take a lot of prayer and meditation to reach that level.

IMHO, all the scripture quoting and grandstanding is far less effective than a little silent "living their faith" which speaks volumes.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,237,545 times
rb,
It is a little hard not to talk to much about it on a forum! lol
Just remember when you are watching a professed Christian that they are human.
We all sin and come short! Try not to judge them to hard.
A lot of prayer keeps you in contact with the Lord and keeps you from getting out in left field, or it does me.
My dad once told me and he was referring to the bible,
" This book will keep you from sin and sin will keep you from this book."
Blessings to you!
thefer

Old 03-24-2008, 12:29 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,126 times
I think for me to be a Christian was out of teenage rebellion, my step-mom was an atheist and would hate anything to do with Christianity, I started reading the bible and praying to just to get her angry....not a mature motive when your a teen.

I was 28 when I really accepted the Lord and lived the walk.

now my step-mom and all of my brothers and sisters are devout christians except for 1
I lived the life before them and just prayed and prayed God did the rest. I never ever talked to them about religion or argued. God is always good......

Old 03-25-2008, 09:23 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
The sad truth is not all will be saved. Many are called but few are chosen. If you are saved, thank God for His love and grace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity