Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 04:49 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
I posted a new entry on my blog that explains why the two swords are enough in Luke 22:38.

Two Swords are Enough – That Day and Hour…

What are you thoughts about the verse?

Luk 22:38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

To guard the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 05:33 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Whatever they needed them for, the quantity was sufficient. There's not enough information to do anything other than read it and so, "Okay, two were all that were needed." It's at the end of the story too, and they quickly move on to a different subject (what became verse 39). It seems highly trivial to make much out of it. Not every single word and statement in scripture is laced with deep meaning. Searching and stretching for something - when it's not there - is silly.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:53 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
But why then was TWO ENOUGH?
Two (2) were enough to show or demonstrate that Jesus was Not going to use the ' sword ' against anyone.
Having 'the swords handy but Not using them' would serve to show everyone Not live by the sword. - Matthew 26:52.
Jesus' followers would be neutral and Not learn warfare - Isaiah 2:4; Micah 4:3.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:23 PM

1,259 posts, read 564,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Whatever they needed them for, the quantity was sufficient. There's not enough information to do anything other than read it and so, "Okay, two were all that were needed." It's at the end of the story too, and they quickly move on to a different subject (what became verse 39). It seems highly trivial to make much out of it. Not every single word and statement in scripture is laced with deep meaning. Searching and stretching for something - when it's not there - is silly.

I think we all know it was sufficient - it says they were enough. There is plenty more information. It is not highly trivial for those that Love Jesus Christ and His message. Jesus words are Spiritual, therefore by default they have deep meaning.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:32 PM

33,553 posts, read 18,143,148 times
The word of God is a two edged sword.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:34 PM

1,259 posts, read 564,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The word of God is a two edged sword.
It's sharper than any two edged sword

Old 01-11-2018, 03:08 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
I posted a new entry on my blog that explains why the two swords are enough in Luke 22:38.

Two Swords are Enough – That Day and Hour…

What are you thoughts about the verse?

Luk 22:38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Speak softly and carry a big stick?" The knowledge that you are prepared to defend yourself is often all that is needed in tight situations, but no invader is going in with two swords..

This without responding to the obvious spam for your blog
Based on the words of the ONLY one qualified to speak on this subject----TURN THE OTHER CHEEK...

Old 01-14-2018, 09:50 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,162 times
maybe referencing this passage/ first curse and with then a promise? Deu 32:28

For they are a nation void of counsel, neither is there any understanding in them.

Deu 32:29

O that they were wise, that they understood this, that they would consider their latter end!
Deu 32:30

How should one chase a thousand, and two put ten thousand to flight, except their Rock had sold them, and the LORD had shut them up?

Deu 32:31

For their rock is not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves being judges.

32:32

For their vine is of the vine of Sodom, and of the fields of Gomorrah: their grapes are grapes of gall, their clusters are bitter:

Deu 32:33

Their wine is the poison of dragons, and the cruel venom of asps.

Deu 32:34

Is not this laid up in store with me, and sealed up among my treasures?

Deu 32:35

To me belongeth vengeance, and recompence; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste.

Deu 32:36

For the LORD shall judge his people, and repent himself for his servants, when he seeth that their power is gone, and there is none shut up, or left.

Deu 32:37

And he shall say, Where are their gods, their rock in whom they trusted,

Deu 32:38

Which did eat the fat of their sacrifices, and drank the wine of their drink offerings? let them rise up and help you, and be your protection.
Deu 32:39

See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. ( so much for just fluffiness)

Deu 32:40

For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever.

Deu 32:41

If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me.

Deu 32:42

I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, from the beginning of revenges upon the enemy.

Deu 32:43

Rejoice, O ye nations, with his people: for he will avenge the blood of his servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries, and will be merciful unto his land, and to his people.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:01 AM

when taking the land...? hints of it

Jos 23:9

For the LORD hath driven out from before you great nations and strong: but as for you, no man hath been able to stand before you unto this day.

Jos 23:10

One man of you shall chase a thousand: for the LORD your God, he it is that fighteth for you, as he hath promised you.

Jos 23:11

Take good heed therefore unto yourselves, that ye love the LORD your God.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:02 AM

another hint / finger print of God?

Jdg 15:15

And he found a new jawbone of an ass, and put forth his hand, and took it, and slew a thousand men therewith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity