Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 07:24 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times

Advertisements

When people come up for prayer, are people to stand facing the altar and the pulpit? I know of some people that cannot stand a prayer circle, because some people are not facing the pulpit.

What is your custom? Does it matter where people are facing themselves? Should everyone, including the minister face front? I've seen some ministers pray among the people, and they are not necessarily facing forward, but are moving throughout the altar as they are praying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 10:51 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
When people come up for prayer, are people to stand facing the altar and the pulpit? I know of some people that cannot stand a prayer circle, because some people are not facing the pulpit.

What is your custom? Does it matter where people are facing themselves? Should everyone, including the minister face front? I've seen some ministers pray among the people, and they are not necessarily facing forward, but are moving throughout the altar as they are praying.
We have benches at the front of our church that people can sit on or kneel in front of if they wish. Or they can stand.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:35 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
And this makes difference for god how?

Old 01-16-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
And this makes difference for god how?
That's my feelings. We have some older members at our church that have been so upset because everyone at the altar is not facing the front toward the pulpit when we pray. I think it's crazy.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:50 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Look at the prayer of Jonah who prayed to God in the belly of a great fish with sea weed wrapped around his neck , and God answered His prayer and made the fish throw up Jonah ...........many churches and people have different tolerances on protocol , But God just requires faith

Old 01-16-2018, 04:57 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
The pulpit is to the side and is where the officiant stands. We turn towards the altar.

As for those who say, "What does it really matter?" it's possible to be right in one way and wrong in another. To be sure, it doesn't matter where you turn. I'll gladly concede that point. But if you think of ritual not as something empty, but rather as a vehicle that encourages deeper exploration of meaning and our disposition to God, then it's rather self-aggrandizing to pooh-pooh it. Pray however you see fit. But don't disparage those who find the liturgy rewarding.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:35 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
This question unfortunately sounds like it's too much in the realm of religion. It's a good question, but exposes how we often put spiritual activity into religious clothing and trappings. If I'm in a church - which happens little these days - I'll always choose what seems right inside (inwardly/spiritually) than the outward/ritualist rules and regulations of where I am. If they have a problem with me and that sentiment, then religion is too high of a priority to them. I'd rather annoy them than bow down to them (in a sense) and compromise myself to man's ways. Many churches these days are too political and legalistic anyway, and have trouble separating what's from God and what's from man.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-16-2018 at 05:51 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This question unfortunately sounds like it's too much in the realm of religion. It's a good question, but exposes how we often put spiritual activity into religious clothing and trappings. If I'm in a church - which happens little these days - I'll always choose what seems right inside (inwardly/spiritually) than the outward/ritualist rules and regulations of where I am. If they have a problem with me and that sentiment, then religion is too high of a priority to them. I'd rather annoy them than bow down to them (in a sense) and compromise myself to man's ways. Many churches these days are too political and legalistic anyway, and have trouble separating what's from God and what's from man.
Well said. When we mix religion and traditions, neglecting the spiritual significance, the result will always be conflict. I choose to ignore the faction, but will be ready to speak need be.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:59 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Well said. When we mix religion and traditions, neglecting the spiritual significance, the result will always be conflict. I choose to ignore the faction, but will be ready to speak need be.
Every church has a way of doing things that differs slightly from other churches. The church I used to attend, communion was served by the deacons/ushers to people in their seats. In the church I am in now, the pastor stands at the front and people line up. Neither is "correct" or "right", but it's just a way of doing things. If your church does things one way, but not as another does it, it's ok. As long as we're not violating Scripture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity