Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:13 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Jesus said that his followers would do everything that he did, and in even greater ways.

Have you performed any of the miracles he did?
Do you think these "miracles" were literal or symbolic?

Do you expect it to happen as he promised?
It is amusing you fundie skeptics criticize us for taking everything literally, which we don't, yet here you have done the same thing.

What Jesus did literally teaches a spiritual truth that Christians can and do, do.

Water symbolizes God's word(Eph 5:26). Wine symbolizes Jesus' death and the new covenant. Christians can make the tastelessness of God's word to non-believers have a sweet taste---O taste and see that the Lord is good.

Notice the water was in 6(man's number) jars used for purification. Man can't purify, only God can do that.

Christians can make the blandness of God words have a sweet taste, and this wine was considered the best of all the wine that was there. We call it evangelism.

Jesus used the servants to do His work. He still does.

This was His first miracle and the first thing after our conversion is that God's word has a new flavor.

This miracle was done in Cana. Cana means "zealous." When we are converted we become zealous for Godd's word. We, like the head waiter, see that it is better than what we started with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 07:16 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
It is amusing you fundie skeptics criticize us for taking everything literally, which we don't, yet here you have done the same thing.

What Jesus did literally teaches a spiritual truth that Christians can and do, do.

Water symbolizes God's word(Eph 5:26). Wine symbolizes Jesus' death and the new covenant. Christians can make the tastelessness of God's word to non-believers have a sweet taste---O taste and see that the Lord is good.

Notice the water was in 6(man's number) jars used for purification. Man can't purify, only God can do that.

Christians can make the blandness of God words have a sweet taste, and this wine was considered the best of all the wine that was there. We call it evangelism.

Jesus used the servants to do His work. He still does.

This was His first miracle and the first thing after our conversion is that God's word has a new flavor.

This miracle was done in Cana. Cana means "zealous." When we are converted we become zealous for Godd's word. We, like the head waiter, see that it is better than what we started with.
Are you actually saying that the miracles performed by Jesus were not literal? Including this one?

But if not, you can't have it both ways. Literal for Jesus. But only symbolic for his followers. That also would contradict those True Believers who think it only happened for the first 12 in the same written story in the gospels and Acts.

That's a big discrepancy for groups who both claim to be True Believers.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:36 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Think he is referring to this verse

John 14:12-14New King James Version (NKJV)
The Answered Prayer
12 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. 13 And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask[a] anything in My name, I will do it.

I figured that but I hate to assume. That verse certainly does not say that any Christian will change water to wine.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:54 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Of importance is understanding what Jesus meant by what He said and to whom He said it. Jesus said this to His immediate disciples, the eleven who were with Him in the upper room after Judas had left. He said it to them just before His crucifixion. He was about to leave them and go back to heaven. After His resurrection He would be with them for 40 days, and then ascend to heaven. He told them that they would perform greater works then He had done because He was going to the Father.
John 14:12 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.
And THEY did. Not greater works in a qualitative sense, but in a quantitative sense. The apostles, were, through the Holy Spirit, able to perform miracles, even raising the dead. But those miracles that the apostles performed were to gain a hearing for the gospel. And in the months following the death and resurrection of Jesus many more people became followers of Jesus as a result of the witness of the apostles than had been the case during Jesus' personal witness.

This is what Jesus had meant when He told them that they would go greater works than He had done. The miracles that the apostles performed were their calling card. The miracles were signs of a true apostle. Paul, himself an apostle said that the credentials of a true apostle were the miracles they performed.
2 Corinthians 12:12 The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with all perseverance, by signs and wonders and miracles.

What Jesus said to the disciples in the upper room was not a message for all church-age believers and should not be understood as such.

So if you want wine, you'll have to buy it at the store.
very well explained!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:59 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,727,845 times
Quote:
Are you actually saying that the miracles performed by Jesus were not literal? Including this one?

But if not, you can't have it both ways. Literal for Jesus. But only symbolic for his followers. That also would contradict those True Believers who think it only happened for the first 12 in the same written story in the gospels and Acts.

That's a big discrepancy for groups who both claim to be True Believers.
this is so intelectually dishonest of you.. first of all Jesus wasn't the first to multiply food, oil , water from a rock. and like those others Jesus did it pre-baptism. thus even you should be able to do that one if only you believed in angels to deliver it from anyplace else .
it actually happens often I suspect in desperately poor countries.. but not as likely to happen commonly here because there is wine and food and water everywhere in the stores open 24hours a day ..

now please ask how many Christians have had miracle money appear to go get said wine/water/ food in stores when they needed it ? because your being intellectually dishonest if you do not ask that question..
it isn't like at midnight in Irael 2000 years ago there was a 7/11 or a wallmart to run to get some wine..

so ask Christians How many of you have received super Miracle money that comes to you just when you needed it , and so you could get exactly what you needed or pay some life altering bill or to do such a life-altering things he has asked you to do.. ?

matter of fact about two weeks ago I had the privilege to sit with a old widow and was talking to this widow who the Lord told her that he wanted her to move to another place to this certain Christian community .. but it cost money to move. and with SS and to pay her rent , she barely could eat.. . she prayed " Lord if you want me to love please provide for the move "
well she started packing and three or so days later she looked at her bank account and there was more than (24,000? or around there ) extra dollars was in her bank account. when she found that Social security had put it there, she was sacred to spend it .. she called social security and they told her that years ago she had not received her pay raise for some reason and that money was all her back pay.
so she moved to where God told her to move and after a few months in that community a yet older widow , who was her friend died and willed her her house/condo in that Christian community .. I would say that not only proves there is a bottomless jar of bread and wine and probably cheese too in the Lords hands for the righteous needy. the fact that it is sad for your relatives that you don't know that God who cares for us ... I say he is also Husband to the righteous widows, who he gives this promise .....

4"Fear not, for you will not be put to shame; And do not feel humiliated, for you will not be disgraced; But you will forget the shame of your youth, And the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more. 5"For your husband is your Maker, Whose name is the LORD of hosts; And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel, Who is called the God of all the earth. 6"For the LORD has called you, Like a wife forsaken and grieved in spirit, Even like a wife of one's youth when she is rejected," Says your God.
he is husband to the widow when no one else gives a rip about them and hasn't for nearly 6000 years ..

sure there is endless and bottomless wine glasses..and there always has been when he is our king..

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 01-17-2018 at 08:10 AM..

Old 01-17-2018, 08:02 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Jesus meant that the words of God are the works. He spoke in figures of speech.

"The WORDS I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His WORKS."
Water into wine back into water.
And a person lives by every..........

Glory

Old 01-17-2018, 08:13 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,717 times
Quote:
Jesus said that his followers would do everything that he did, and in even greater ways.

Have you performed any of the miracles he did?
Do you think these "miracles" were literal or symbolic?

Do you expect it to happen as he promised?
Jesus wasn't referring to every true Christian, from his time up to ours. he was speaking to his Apostles. after all these were the Men who Jehovah God sent to Jesus ,(John 17:6 “I have revealed your name to the men you gave me out of the world. They belonged to you, and you gave them to me, and they have obeyed your word). there were a few who wasn't Apostles though, who did by means of Jehovah's HS perform miraculous acts, like Moses hitting the rock for water. but none of Jesus faithful followers can perform those things today. we're living in the time of the End. and Jehovah God's words say those things will be done away with ,(1 Corinthians 13:8-10).

Old 01-17-2018, 12:39 PM

692 posts, read 375,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Think he is referring to this verse

John 14:12-14New King James Version (NKJV)
The Answered Prayer
12 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. 13 And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask[a] anything in My name, I will do it.
QUESTION:

"Anything"?????

Isn't this quite an exaggeration?

Old 01-17-2018, 01:04 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotles child View Post
QUESTION:

"Anything"?????

Isn't this quite an exaggeration?
Faith, to Faith.
A distance of travel?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:45 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
Jesus wasn't referring to every true Christian, from his time up to ours. he was speaking to his Apostles. after all these were the Men who Jehovah God sent to Jesus ,(John 17:6 “I have revealed your name to the men you gave me out of the world. They belonged to you, and you gave them to me, and they have obeyed your word). there were a few who wasn't Apostles though, who did by means of Jehovah's HS perform miraculous acts, like Moses hitting the rock for water. but none of Jesus faithful followers can perform those things today. we're living in the time of the End. and Jehovah God's words say those things will be done away with ,(1 Corinthians 13:8-10).
And maybe He wasn't talking about performing magic, but miracles of social transformation. I see that happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity