Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:39 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Thought the op was

lord = jesus/god
That Jesus is God is clearly enough stated in the Gospel of John. The specific focus of this thread is that it was the pre-incarnate Jesus that Abraham saw as Jesus Himself so stated. The point of this thread is NOT to have people come onto it in order to question whether God is love, or to address the particular commands that God gave to Israel as you have done. Those things can be addressed in their own threads so as not to take the focus off of my intended topic for my thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 12:58 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
This thread and its intended topic, once again, is solely about the fact that the pre-incarnate Jesus appeared to Abraham as Jesus Himself stated in John 8:56-58 and was so understood as having said by His Jewish listeners.

Take your problems with ''the rest'' of Old Testament elsewhere.
And the quote condemned gave a parallel occurrence for comparison. Does it not have the same authority and character of the first one? Legitimate part of the discussion. Deal.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:11 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Some two thousand years before the Word became flesh, Abraham met the pre-incarnate Jesus. Jesus Himself refered to this occasion in John 8:56 when He told the Jews to whom He was speaking that Abraham had rejoiced to see His day, and he saw it and was glad.
John 8:56 "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad."
The Jews understood that Jesus meant that He had met Abraham which is why they replied,
John 8:57 So the Jews said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?"
To which Jesus then replied,
John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."
The Lord's appearances to Abraham are mentioned beginning in Genesis chapter 12. Gen. 12:7 says that The LORD (Yhvh) appeared to Abram without stating whether the appearance was in a vision or was bodily. In Genesis 15:1 the word of the LORD appeared to Abram in a vision. The fact that there was an appearance in a vision means that the encounter with 'the word of the LORD' was not a mere auditory experience but was a visual encounter with 'the word of the LORD'.

In addition to the references you mentioned, there is good reason to believe Melchizedek, king of Salem, (Gen 14:18) was also pre-incarnate Christ. I am not dogmatic on the point, but it makes sense to me.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:16 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,727,845 times
Quote:
Some two thousand years before the Word became flesh, Abraham met the pre-incarnate Jesus. Jesus Himself refered to this occasion in John 8:56 when He told the Jews to whom He was speaking that Abraham had rejoiced to see His day, and he saw it and was glad.
John 8:56 "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad."
The Jews understood that Jesus meant that He had met Abraham which is why they replied,
John 8:57 So the Jews said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?"
John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."
The Lord's appearances to Abraham are mentioned beginning in Genesis chapter 12. Gen. 12:7 says that The LORD (Yhvh) appeared to Abram without stating whether the appearance was in a vision or was bodily. In Genesis 15:1 the word of the LORD appeared to Abram in a vision. The fact that there was an appearance in a vision means that the encounter with 'the word of the LORD' was not a mere auditory experience but was a visual encounter with 'the word of the LORD'.

There are occasions when the Old Testament descriptions of the 'word of the LORD' refer to a physical appearance of God. Jeremiah chapter one is such an example. In Jer. 1:4 Jeremiah says that the word of the LORD came to him, and then in verse 9 he says that the LORD stretched out His hand and touched his mouth. The 'word of the LORD' and the LORD both refer to the same referent. The word of the LORD here is a visible and physical appearance of God to Jeremiah.

And the same was true when the LORD appeared to Abraham by the oaks of Mamre in Genesis 18:1. Here, the LORD (the pre-incarnate Jesus) came to Abraham along with two angels and Abraham prepared a meal for them. This is the same 'word of the LORD' who had earlier appeared to Abram in a vision in Genesis chapter 15 and who Abram addressed in verse 8 as ''Lord GOD'' (Adonay Yhvh).

Abraham in seeing the LORD, in seeing the ''word'' in human form, saw Jesus.
I KNOW THESE WORDS ARE TRUE... ARE TRUE. BUT YOU THINK IT WAS IN A VISION AND I THINK ABRAHAM WAS STANDING AROUND HIM SOMEPLACE RIGHT THEN OR HAD BEEN EVEN MORE RECENTLY.

Mar 12:27

He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye, therefore, do greatly err.

I THINK ABRAHAM AND SARAH AND MANY OTHERS MIGHT HAVE BEEN EVEN STANDING THERE WATCHING AT THAT MOMENT.
ALL I ALL WILL SAY IS AINT ANYONE ALIVE THAT WOULD HAVE RECOGNIZED ANY OF THEM ANYWAY!! BUT EVEN IF THEY COULD RECOGNIZE ONE ... JESUS HAS THE KEYS OF CREATION AND HE CAN USE THEM !!

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 01-20-2018 at 01:27 PM..

Old 01-20-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
I KNOW THESE WORDS ARE TRUE... ARE TRUE. BUT YOU THINK IT WAS IN A VISION AND I THINK ABRAHAM WAS STANDING AROUND HIM SOMEPLACE RIGHT THEN OR HAD BEEN EVEN MORE RECENTLY.

Mar 12:27

He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye, therefore, do greatly err.

I THINK ABRAHAM AND SARAH AND MANY OTHERS MIGHT HAVE BEEN EVEN STANDING THERE WATCHING AT THAT MOMENT.
ALL I ALL WILL SAY IS AINT ANYONE ALIVE THAT WOULD HAVE RECOGNIZED ANY OF THEM ANYWAY!! BUT EVEN IF THEY COULD RECOGNIZE ONE ... JESUS HAS THE KEYS OF CREATION AND HE CAN USE THEM !!
Well, actually, I pointed out that on one occasion the pre-incarnate Jesus appeared in a vision as Genesis 15:1 says, while on other occasions the pre-incarnate Jesus assumed a bodily form as in Genesis 18:1 and Jeremiah 1:4,9.

The pre-incarnate appearances, called theophanies, took various forms, including appearing as a pillar of fire by night and a cloud by day as in Exodus 13:21.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
In addition to the references you mentioned, there is good reason to believe Melchizedek, king of Salem, (Gen 14:18) was also pre-incarnate Christ. I am not dogmatic on the point, but it makes sense to me.
I've heard that, but I don't have an opinion on it at the moment.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And the quote condemned gave a parallel occurrence for comparison. Does it not have the same authority and character of the first one? Legitimate part of the discussion. Deal.
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. You're condemning a quote that gave a parallel occurrence for comparison? And you want to make a deal?

Old 01-20-2018, 04:56 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. You're condemning a quote that gave a parallel occurrence for comparison? And you want to make a deal?
No, Mike, YOU condemned a quote that has a bearing as a parallel appearance to Samuel.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:23 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:

There are occasions when the Old Testament descriptions of the 'word of the LORD' refer to a physical appearance of God. Jeremiah chapter one is such an example. In Jer. 1:4 Jeremiah says that the word of the LORD came to him, and then in verse 9 he says that the LORD stretched out His hand and touched his mouth. The 'word of the LORD' and the LORD both refer to the same referent. The word of the LORD here is a visible and physical appearance of God to Jeremiah.

And the same was true when the LORD appeared to Abraham by the oaks of Mamre in Genesis 18:1. Here, the LORD (the pre-incarnate Jesus) came to Abraham along with two angels and Abraham prepared a meal for them. This is the same 'word of the LORD' who had earlier appeared to Abram in a vision in Genesis chapter 15 and who Abram addressed in verse 8 as ''Lord GOD'' (Adonay Yhvh).

Abraham in seeing the LORD, in seeing the ''word'' in human form, saw Jesus.

So essentially, the disciples were actually seeing GOD!

Old 01-20-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, Mike, YOU condemned a quote that has a bearing as a parallel appearance to Samuel.
You're referring to post #4 and the reference to 1 Samuel 15:1-3. First of all, I didn't even directly address it, much less condemn it. Secondly, it is not a parallel passage to those to which I referred. Not all references to the ''word of the LORD'' in the Old Testament imply an embodied appearance of the LORD to someone. 1 Samuel 15:1-3 states merely that the LORD sent Samuel with a message and that the recipients of that message were to listen to the words of the LORD. No bodily appearance or vision is suggested in that passage.

And the purpose of the poster for posting that passage was to point to the particular command that was given in that message, and that is not the topic of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity