Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:02 PM

1,146 posts, read 648,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And for that same reason, along with Peter's revelation from God in Acts, that we are allowed to drink pork.

So no...wine, pork, shellfish, etc do not make us unclean.
You forgot cheese burgers and Philly cheese sandwiches with cheese. According to dietary law one cannot eat dairy with meat.

That's the strict interpretation of the law. However, allowance was not made for the fact that most of the cheese today is composed entirely of chemicals. It resembles plastic more than something squeezed from a cow's udder. The same may be true for the mystery that passes for meat too.

Are any of us eating and drinking anything not devoid of chemicals?

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 12:55 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
You forgot cheese burgers and Philly cheese sandwiches with cheese. According to dietary law one cannot eat dairy with meat.

That's the strict interpretation of the law. However, allowance was not made for the fact that most of the cheese today is composed entirely of chemicals. It resembles plastic more than something squeezed from a cow's udder. The same may be true for the mystery that passes for meat too.

I love bacon double cheeseburgers. I never understood the whole separation of meat/dairy thing. I know it's an interpretation of the command not to cook a kid in it's mother's milk...but I just don't know how that logical jump is made.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:14 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,518 times
Quote:
I love bacon double cheeseburgers. I never understood the whole separation of meat/dairy thing. I know it's an interpretation of the command not to cook a kid in it's mother's milk...but I just don't know how that logical jump is made.

well, apparently the practice of Judaism in Jesus time (and afterward) was to a large degree based on "interpretations" and "applications" of the Law of Moses in the Torah for a variety of situations and circumstances by various "teachers", "scribes", and "rabbis" whose judgments were recorded and themselves elaborated upon in writings like the Talmud. Jesus often spoke against those "traditional" practices based on such things ("teachings of men" by "blind teachers"---Matt. 15) when they seemed to become barriers to righteousness and instead "taught of His OWN authority and NOT as the scribes..." (Matt. 7:29).

in the peace of Christ the true teacher, master, and rabbi

Old 01-26-2018, 11:43 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
Why worry. It’s all made up tales anyway. No proof. Fake stories....

Old 01-26-2018, 11:48 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

Philly Cheese Steak...

Old 01-26-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
And for that same reason, along with Peter's revelation from God in Acts, that we are allowed to drink pork.

So no...wine, pork, shellfish, etc do not make us unclean.
Peter’s Vision had nothing to do with food...

Old 01-26-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
indeed. think the context of the verse quoted (which concerned Jesus' disciples not ritually cleansing themselves before eating and the negative reaction of those "learned in the law" for them doing so) is also in line with His teachings on the proper observance of the Sabbath (He was castigated for healing on the Sabbath and asking the Scribes and Pharisees if it was wrong to help a neighbor get their ox out of a pit). IMHO, this means that when trying to observe every "jot and tittle of the law" (including what we drink or eat) becomes an END in and of themselves rather than a MEANS of responding to God's mercy and love AND in humility and gratitude sharing that mercy and love with others we fail as Christians.

"...whatever you eat or drink, or WHATEVER YOU DO, do ALL to the glory of God." (1 Cor. 10:31)

in the peace of Christ.
G-d said what was to be used as food and what wasn’t...

Old 01-26-2018, 12:17 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I thought it was only Mormons. Guess I was wrong.
Eastern Baptists and Pentecostals absolutely - officially - refrain from smoking and alcoholic averages in any form. Or, any intoxicants in that matter.
That said, lots of them are ex alcoholics, so this serves them well.
Besides, I have not even seen them using same attributes as it's done in more traditional denominations. Like bread and "wine".

Old 01-26-2018, 01:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
G-d said what was to be used as food and what wasn’t...
In Noah's day after exiting the Ark no list existed, then Under the Law to Israel limitations were placed in THAT Law for the Nation. Christians are not under that law nor are Jews who reject Judaism as a religion.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:21 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,994,404 times
Quote:
Many Baptists, Mennonites, and others believe alcohol to be evil. I've heard the same joke about both that they don't recognize each other in the liquor store. I was once told by a Word of Faith (charismatic, pentecostal) that alcohol was "rotten grapes" and he thought drinking was evil.

I know of nothing in the Bible that says not to drink wine in moderation. I would not want to cause a brother with alcoholic tendencies to fall off the wagon, so I would show caution. It's not worth causing a brother to sin.
I don't know anywhere in the bible where it says not to drink at all either, or that putting any wine to your mouth is a sin.
Yeah I was aware of the grape juice interpretation of wine in biblical times, but there is no proof either way.
Pentecostals certainly do frown on alcohol, "do not get drunk on wine, but on the Spirit" I have heard them say. They reference the Spirit a lot.
Most Catholics btw are known to be drinkers, esp with Irish heritage, unless for health reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity