Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:15 PM

156 posts, read 609,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisTruth View Post
There was a great celebration in heaven. All the angels rejoiced at that moment.

As Christians we do not convert people, but it is the Holy Spirit that convicts people to turn to Christ. Our job is just to spread the good news.
Awesomely put. Jesus, as one pastor in Trinidad said, doesn't need us to be His attorney....rather He asks us to be His witnesses.....
to His disciples "love one another as I have loved you." I just love reading Jesus' words and all of them, really, in the Tanach and New Testament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 PM

156 posts, read 609,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
John 14:6 "Jesus told him, I am the way, the truth and the life. No one can come to the Father except through Me".

Yes other people claim to have "their way" But Jesus said HE is the ONLY way and I believe that.
Comforting testimony!!
I believe Him, too!! He is soooo kind and merciful! HE shone His light into my heart and mind. That was the only way I knew I had been living in darkness all that time.

Natural "eyes" cannot see it.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:34 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
overall i agree that christianity does more good than harm--nowadays. obviously that hasn't always been the case. crusades, anyone?
No. The problem with this critique is that it exaggerates the crimes attributed to religion, while ignoring the greater crimes of secular fanaticism. The best example of religious persecution in America is the Salem witch trials. How many people were killed in those trials? Thousands? Hundreds? Actually, fewer than 25. Yet the event still haunts the liberal imagination.

The spanish inquisition? 10,000. The crusades? That happened 500+ years ago! If you're going to go back in history, then lets look at crimes as a result of atheism:

In the name of creating their version of a religion-free utopia, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Mao Zedong produced the kind of mass slaughter that no Inquisitor could possibly match. Collectively these atheist tyrants murdered more than 100 million people. That was just in the 20th century! Whatever the motives for atheist bloodthirstiness, the indisputable fact is that all the religions of the world put together have in 2,000 years not managed to kill as many people as have been killed in the name of atheism in the past few decades.

So, yes, I take offense when people try and give Chrsitianity a bad rap. 1 death as the result of religion is 1 too many, but give credit where credit is due.

You are blindly blaming religion for conflict. Don't put your head in the sand and take the beating like most Christians do when then left speechless by lack of education.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:03 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
No. The problem with this critique is that it exaggerates the crimes attributed to religion, while ignoring the greater crimes of secular fanaticism. The best example of religious persecution in America is the Salem witch trials. How many people were killed in those trials? Thousands? Hundreds? Actually, fewer than 25. Yet the event still haunts the liberal imagination.

The spanish inquisition? 10,000. The crusades? That happened 500+ years ago! If you're going to go back in history, then lets look at crimes as a result of atheism:

In the name of creating their version of a religion-free utopia, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Mao Zedong produced the kind of mass slaughter that no Inquisitor could possibly match. Collectively these atheist tyrants murdered more than 100 million people. That was just in the 20th century! Whatever the motives for atheist bloodthirstiness, the indisputable fact is that all the religions of the world put together have in 2,000 years not managed to kill as many people as have been killed in the name of atheism in the past few decades.

So, yes, I take offense when people try and give Chrsitianity a bad rap. 1 death as the result of religion is 1 too many, but give credit where credit is due.

You are blindly blaming religion for conflict. Don't put your head in the sand and take the beating like most Christians do when then left speechless by lack of education.
if you think i was blaming religion for conflict, then you obviously didn't read any farther than my first words. you can attribute my agreement about religious violence to uneducated cowardice if you want--some people have a hard time opening their eyes to anything that does not parallel their own vision of reality. but that is simply not the case.

even if it were true that more deaths have occured in the name of secularism, that is not even the point. stick with the topic and try to keep up, man. the context of my statement was that yes, violence and conflict have happened in the name or religion, and even in the name of christianity, but that fact does not, and should not veto all of the good things that religion has done.

if you want to try analyzing crimes of christianity vs. crimes of secularism, start a new post. that had nothing to do with this. i was not exaggerating anything, merely acknowledging that it happened. if you want to deny it, be my guest--just don't be too surprised when historians disagree.

aaron out.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:01 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,460 times
Great news

Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
why couldnt they just be Buddist? i dont find anything wrong with their religion...
that is the one thing i cant stand--trying to change people from one religion to another. i can understand trying to conform atheists, but if people are worshipping God in their own way, why MUST they be called christian?
Because they'd still be dead in their sins and destined for hell. It's a wonderful thing when somebody embraces Christ and receives forgiveness.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Because they'd still be dead in their sins and destined for hell...snip....
Malarkey.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Malarkey.
It's Sunday.

The hellfire and damnation posts peak on Sundays.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:18 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
Quote:
i agree on both counts. we need an unbiased source and i highly doubt they will give up Buddism. after all the whole point to is reach higher understanding. i wish more people would open their minds to trying this.
If those monks see what Christianity ( the system)has become in USA, they will head back to Buddhism.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 AM

794 posts, read 846,645 times
Quote:
why couldnt they just be Buddist? i dont find anything wrong with their religion...
that is the one thing i cant stand--trying to change people from one religion to another. i can understand trying to conform atheists, but if people are worshipping God in their own way, why MUST they be called christian?
Because there is only one God. And they did not convert religions. They received salvation because they heard the truth and chose to believe it. They were born again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity