Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Original Greek:

Quote:
πᾶν κλῆμα ἐν ἐμοὶ μὴ φέρον καρπόν αἴρει αὐτό, καὶ πᾶν τὸ καρπὸν φέρον καθαίρει αὐτὸ ἵνα καρπὸν πλείονα φέρῃ.
Notice the word in bold. It is "airei" and, lest we make this too simple for you understand" it has four---count 'em--FOUR definitions (whoever said Greek was a "precise" language????? ) Proceeding from the most fundamental to the most figurative, they are:

1) to lift up or pick up,
2) to lift up figuratively, as in lifting up one's eyes or voice,
3) to lift up with the added thought of lifting up in order to carry away, and
4) to remove.

Now the most tradition translation used is the fourth, "to remove", "to cut away", "to take back".

Thus, in nearly every translation we have:

Quote:
Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he cuts away (takes away), and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
But what if we looked at it from this light, suing the most fundamental definition, ""to lift up or pick up".

Then we have an entirely different meaning: "Every branch in me that does not bear fruit He [lifts off the ground so that it gets more sunlight and air and does not lay in the dirt where insects and fungus can attack it]."

Here's the fundamental question: would a good husbandman simply cut the branch away without first nursing it, dressing it, and giving it a chance to thrive i.e. produce fruit, or would he just look at it and say, "It's no good" and then proceed to saw it off and toss it into the shredding machine?

Some will say a knowledgeable husbandman would instinctively know whether a branch is salvageable or not, but a proper arrival at what Jesus was saying hinges on the most appropriate definition---definition 1, the most literate, or definition 4, the most figurative.

Which do you think Jesus was implying?

For a better explanation read this website:

Unfruitful branches? Lift up! Lift up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:04 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,089 times
By reading it in the context with the verses that follow John 15:2, I believe it further explains the definition of the word airei.

5“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
By reading it in the context with the verses that follow John 15:2, I believe it further explains the definition of the word airei.

5“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
Yes, that is true at the end of the process. But initially, what do you think God does? Does He lift the branch up off the ground (to lift up) or does He cut it off?

Put another way, do you think it's at all possible we've been misreading this verse all this time?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:44 PM

123 posts, read 437,370 times
One way that helps me figure out these types of things out is to get a concordance and see how that same word was rendered in other scriptures. That word is used 8 times in the NT an each time it is translated "take". GNT Concordance: ????? (airei) ? 8 Occurrences The word lifted would not fit the context of the other verses. The idea of "lifted up" would also contradict the verse 15:6 which states that unfruitful branches are "thrown into the fire and burned". This would denote final judgement.

As for the idea of whether God would just toss someone away for not bearing fruit without helping them first, you need to look at other verses that talk about how God provides us. First of all, God sent Jesus to die for our sins so that "whoever believes in the Son will have everlasting life" The Bible tells us that God has sent the Holy Spirit to convict the world of sin. God has also provided his written word so that faith can come to those who hear the word of Christ. Rom 10:17 And he has provided creation which speaks of God's glory. Ps 19 Despite these efforts, many will still not believe due to their hardened hearts. “All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and obstinate people.” Isaiah 65

The Bible also points out that Once someone repents and believes, God sends His Holy Spirit to dwell within us to teach us, guide us, comfort us and to begin the work of sanctifying us. God has also provided His written Word and the fellowship of other believers to nourish us, encourage us, teach us, etc. Because of this, new believers will often experience a dramatic change in thought & actions which is yet another testimony to unbelievers.

God has provided more than enough for any "branch" to thrive. An unrepentant man is without an excuse. Our sin debt has already been paid for on the cross - a gift that NONE of us deserve. As sinners, we ALL deserve death. If a branch is cut away, it only due to a hardened heart and that person's stubborn refusal to accept the free gift of salvation.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:59 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Gotta ask who made these definitions?

I have been in church services where they opened a 'Daniel Websters' to read the definition of an English word used in a translation. Completely ignoring that God gave words and thoughts to holy men to write, using their vocabulary.

I prefer to look at every usage of a Hebrew or Greek word, read each usage in the context, and allow the context to define it's usage. Allowing God's Word to define the phrases that are used in itself.

Commonly the printed Greek definitions were formed by how that word was used in other writings, outside of the Bible. Those definitions were not formed by an exhaustive examination of how the phrase was used within the Bible from God's usage.

'to know' used in the Bible has a distinct different usage from how it is used outside of the Bible.

'Jesus Christ' is a phrase used in specific contexts, different from where the phrase 'Christ Jesus' is used. These two phrases have different specific usages and different meanings.

Only a 'Workman of the Word' will see the differences.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLovesCarolina View Post
One way that helps me figure out these types of things out is to get a concordance and see how that same word was rendered in other scriptures. That word is used 8 times in the NT an each time it is translated "take". GNT Concordance: ????? (airei) ? 8 Occurrences The word lifted would not fit the context of the other verses. The idea of "lifted up" would also contradict the verse 15:6 which states that unfruitful branches are "thrown into the fire and burned". This would denote final judgement.

As for the idea of whether God would just toss someone away for not bearing fruit without helping them first, you need to look at other verses that talk about how God provides us. First of all, God sent Jesus to die for our sins so that "whoever believes in the Son will have everlasting life" The Bible tells us that God has sent the Holy Spirit to convict the world of sin. God has also provided his written word so that faith can come to those who hear the word of Christ. Rom 10:17 And he has provided creation which speaks of God's glory. Ps 19 Despite these efforts, many will still not believe due to their hardened hearts. “All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and obstinate people.” Isaiah 65

The Bible also points out that Once someone repents and believes, God sends His Holy Spirit to dwell within us to teach us, guide us, comfort us and to begin the work of sanctifying us. God has also provided His written Word and the fellowship of other believers to nourish us, encourage us, teach us, etc. Because of this, new believers will often experience a dramatic change in thought & actions which is yet another testimony to unbelievers.

God has provided more than enough for any "branch" to thrive. An unrepentant man is without an excuse. Our sin debt has already been paid for on the cross - a gift that NONE of us deserve. As sinners, we ALL deserve death. If a branch is cut away, it only due to a hardened heart and that person's stubborn refusal to accept the free gift of salvation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Gotta ask who made these definitions?

I have been in church services where they opened a 'Daniel Websters' to read the definition of an English word used in a translation. Completely ignoring that God gave words and thoughts to holy men to write, using their vocabulary.

I prefer to look at every usage of a Hebrew or Greek word, read each usage in the context, and allow the context to define it's usage. Allowing God's Word to define the phrases that are used in itself.

Commonly the printed Greek definitions were formed by how that word was used in other writings, outside of the Bible. Those definitions were not formed by an exhaustive examination of how the phrase was used within the Bible from God's usage.

'to know' used in the Bible has a distinct different usage from how it is used outside of the Bible.

'Jesus Christ' is a phrase used in specific contexts, different from where the phrase 'Christ Jesus' is used. These two phrases have different specific usages and different meanings.

Only a 'Workman of the Word' will see the differences.
There's so much at the link provided, more than the mods would let me quote, that answers many of the questions posed. I think it likely, knowing how God loves all His children, that He gives them every chance in this life to bear fruit before "cutting them off" and tossing them onto the dead wood pile. That would include "lifting them up" to make sure they got every last ray of sunshine before the branch was thrown into the fire to be burned.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:58 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
I have seen these scriptures as gifts of the Holy Spirit....Cutting of branches is; Were a gift of the Lord for service is left not used and the Lord find no use for the gift for this minister..... Then Jesus will remove the anointing and send it back to Heaven for other uses , were if the minister were try to use to lost anointing he would come up lack of Holy Spirit in that gift........ Were the pruning of the Lord is to a minister for Jesus would pray for more of the Lord , then the Lord would prune the errors away , which usually under the authority of the dark spirit..... Jesus Spirit will teach a minister `You can not do this, you can not think that, You must do this, and do that ``...removing the authority of the errors that have become tolerated over the years so this minister will have more of the Lord Jesus authority to bear more works to the Glory of God....

Old 09-11-2011, 09:44 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Burned things still exist... Just in a different form. Ashes....

You can't put new wine in an old wine skin or you risk spoiling the wine.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 AM

560 posts, read 1,291,065 times
The footnotes in the NAB for John 15:2 indicate that there is a play on words in the original Greek-

scripture

Old 09-11-2011, 11:54 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Original Greek:

Notice the word in bold. It is "airei" and, lest we make this too simple for you understand" it has four---count 'em--FOUR definitions (whoever said Greek was a "precise" language????? ) Proceeding from the most fundamental to the most figurative, they are:

1) to lift up or pick up,
2) to lift up figuratively, as in lifting up one's eyes or voice,
3) to lift up with the added thought of lifting up in order to carry away, and
4) to remove.

Now the most tradition translation used is the fourth, "to remove", "to cut away", "to take back".

Thus, in nearly every translation we have:

But what if we looked at it from this light, suing the most fundamental definition, ""to lift up or pick up".

Then we have an entirely different meaning: "Every branch in me that does not bear fruit He [lifts off the ground so that it gets more sunlight and air and does not lay in the dirt where insects and fungus can attack it]."

Here's the fundamental question: would a good husbandman simply cut the branch away without first nursing it, dressing it, and giving it a chance to thrive i.e. produce fruit, or would he just look at it and say, "It's no good" and then proceed to saw it off and toss it into the shredding machine?

Some will say a knowledgeable husbandman would instinctively know whether a branch is salvageable or not, but a proper arrival at what Jesus was saying hinges on the most appropriate definition---definition 1, the most literate, or definition 4, the most figurative.

Which do you think Jesus was implying?

For a better explanation read this website:

Unfruitful branches? Lift up! Lift up!
Jesus is referring to our sins.. the branches that don't bear fruit. These are removed by the power of God's Divine Love that is delivered to our souls by God's Holy Spirit. As we receive more and more Love, we bear more fruit... which are God's blessings. God's Divine Love brings to our souls "light" and it removes our sins "darkness."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity