Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 03:07 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,719,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
DeStefano: "Hitchens spent a good deal of his time in a Catholic hospital during the last year of his life, with priests and nuns darting through the corridors and crosses hung above all the doors. This is an important point to note because it means that up until the very end, the man who wrote that “religion poisons everything” couldn’t escape religious kindness. This ironic fact, predictably, was completely lost on his atheist followers. But it can’t be lost on us. Christ said that “Heaven and Earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.” The truth always wins out in the end. Christopher Hitchens was born with the very name of God imprinted on his identity — Christopher, after all, means bearer of Christ — and he couldn’t get away from the cross of Christ even as he lay dying. God always has the last word"
In other words, you think people should be harassed with your religious persuasions even on their death bed? That is not Christ-like. What makes you think you have a right to pester people with your beliefs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 04:28 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,620,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
They call it faith. If God revealed Himself to the world he has stolen that faith and made it knowledge.

Question for you. Did Paul have faith in Jesus?
Did Jesus/god reveal himself to Paul?

Old 04-23-2018, 10:11 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well if I was dying in a Muslim hospital I would expect the same thing. It's their hospital, he didn't have to go there. Why do you think they were mocking him?
I said they were indirectly mocking him. They know damn well that he does not want any of that which has nothing to do with his medical condition or his right to be left out of their religious rituals while dying. They were challenging and defying such knowledge by imposing their beliefs and practices upon a man who was at his weakest point - as if to say, as you did, Ha! Ha! we get the last word whether you like it or not. It is pathetic and you not understanding such it also pathetic.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:32 PM

15,966 posts, read 6,395,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Did Jesus/god reveal himself to Paul?
According to SumTingy He not only revealed Himself to Paul but also knocked Paul right off his ass. literally

Old 04-23-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I said they were indirectly mocking him. They know damn well that he does not want any of that which has nothing to do with his medical condition or his right to be left out of their religious rituals while dying. They were challenging and defying such knowledge by imposing their beliefs and practices upon a man who was at his weakest point - as if to say, as you did, Ha! Ha! we get the last word whether you like it or not. It is pathetic and you not understanding such it also pathetic.
I doubt it. Hitch died in a hospital in Texas. It very well could have been Catholic run or one of the centers he received treatment could have been. There is no indication anyone treated him with disrespect. I gave birth in a hospital than was Catholic run and I don't remember seeing any crosses or priests or nuns around. In fact, I didn't even realize it was until I started fact checking this story. They could have very well have been there but I didn't notice and I certainly wouldn't have taken a cross over a door personally. I doubt Hitch or his family would have either. I mean, seriously, how petty for someone to suggest that receiving medical care in a building that has crosses is an expression of God having the last word. PFFFTTTTT I also highly doubt the Catholic church picked up the tab for Hitch's services as is suggested in the "Christian kindness" the author claims Hitch was the beneficiary of. I'm sure he could afford his own care. I had insurance when I had my daughter and that's just where I was told to go. I paid for my insurance, I paid my copayment. I wasn't the recipient of charity.

I think that this is a watered down triangulation manipulation technique used by the author of the story. He gets one group (the Christians) to believe lies about another group (the atheists) and then tries to get the atheists mad at the treatment of Hitch which didn't even happen. Then everyone has reason to treat the others harshly proving to each group that the other group is actually deserving to dehumanizing treatment. No one has done anything to anyone. Don't get sucked in.

On a side dish, I watched a video of Hitch and got a really great piece of advice I'd like to pass along. He credited another author for it but I don't remember her name.

Write like you're already dead.

I'm not an author but I think that's a pretty great way to speak as well.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:32 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,832,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I've been married to an Atheist for over 40 years. She is nothing like the article describes. She is a humble, thoughtful person who is following her truth.
sounds like you recognise that she worships in Spirit and Truth.!

Old 04-23-2018, 06:39 PM

11,941 posts, read 3,771,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
sounds like you recognise that she worships in spirit and truth.!
Yep

Too soon to rep

Old 04-23-2018, 06:42 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I doubt it. Hitch died in a hospital in Texas. It very well could have been Catholic run or one of the centers he received treatment could have been. There is no indication anyone treated him with disrespect. I gave birth in a hospital than was Catholic run and I don't remember seeing any crosses or priests or nuns around. In fact, I didn't even realize it was until I started fact checking this story. They could have very well have been there but I didn't notice and I certainly wouldn't have taken a cross over a door personally. I doubt Hitch or his family would have either. I mean, seriously, how petty for someone to suggest that receiving medical care in a building that has crosses is an expression of God having the last word. PFFFTTTTT I also highly doubt the Catholic church picked up the tab for Hitch's services as is suggested in the "Christian kindness" the author claims Hitch was the beneficiary of. I'm sure he could afford his own care. I had insurance when I had my daughter and that's just where I was told to go. I paid for my insurance, I paid my copayment. I wasn't the recipient of charity.

I think that this is a watered down triangulation manipulation technique used by the author of the story. He gets one group (the Christians) to believe lies about another group (the atheists) and then tries to get the atheists mad at the treatment of Hitch which didn't even happen. Then everyone has reason to treat the others harshly proving to each group that the other group is actually deserving to dehumanizing treatment. No one has done anything to anyone. Don't get sucked in.

On a side dish, I watched a video of Hitch and got a really great piece of advice I'd like to pass along. He credited another author for it but I don't remember her name.

Write like you're already dead.

I'm not an author but I think that's a pretty great way to speak as well.
Yeah, your right it probably did not even happen! Why Christians gravitate to this sort of thing is beyond me.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:43 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
sounds like you recognise that she worships in Spirit and Truth.!

Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Yeah, your right it probably did not even happen! Why Christians gravitate to this sort of thing is beyond me.
I don't think it's a Christian thing. It's a lover of violence thing.

“Most atheists are pretty bitter, angry, and humorless souls. They will probably not like Anthony DeStefano’s stinging and entirely hilarious takedown of the smug and arrogant brand of pseudo-intellectualism that modern atheism has become. As his targets whine DeStefano will shine, and his revealing book will enlighten, entertain, and probably melt some snowflakes!”

—Former Governor Mike Huckabee

I couldn't cut and paste the other quote I wanted to share but it's saying there won't be any coddling or respect for their views in this book.

Anthony DeStefano

Matthew 5
…8Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. 9Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. 10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity