Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 05:03 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

Where does a church pastor get the authority to counsel people?

I ask this because it seems like counseling is a major part of their job. They meet with people to discuss various problems and issues. I've known of people who did this who had no sort of education either in counseling or ministry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 05:12 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
From the blind, submissive and indoctrinated will of the people.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:51 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

I ask this because it seems like counseling is a major part of their job. They meet with people to discuss various problems and issues. I've known of people who did this who had no sort of education either in counseling or ministry.
I think that some seminaries include training in psychology. An Episcopal priest I know is also a licensed psychologist. He was an Army chaplain, now retired, and he counsels other Episcopal priests.

I'm guessing that in some sects, the counseling is based on the Bible only.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:40 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
You just need to be a good listener with an open mind.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:45 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:

Mine has a Psych degree (Masters), as well as a Doctorate of Divinity. I can't say about other pastors, because I don't know them.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:56 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:

The Word of God grants the authority to a church elder to counsel people based on Scripture. And many pastors do take some counseling classes in college--specifically because it's part of the job. Having said that, I do know people that have gone to my pastor for issues that are clearly more than a question of what Scripture says, but are more to do with mental health and he has referred them to a therapist. A good pastor knows his limits and realizes when the issue is above his head and refers them.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:38 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times
At the seminary I attended, counselling classes were mandatory. We had several as well as supervised practical training. The biggest thing taught was know your limits - you are not a psychologist, psychiatrist or a therapist, you are a spiritual counsellor. Also it was drilled into us that when counselling, limit your sessions to a maximum of 3, 30 minute sessions. If the person needs more than that, refer them to a psychologist, psychiatrist or therapist because you are now going beyond your role and your training.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:57 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Actually there is a gift of Holy Spirit for counseling and prophetic redemption BUT This gift of God come with a strict rule of NO condemnation , as there is no condemnation in people of God , and God cannot answer prayer under the carnal spirit of condemnation ............ Then there is a church government which could issue authority to counsel people ...... See the office gift of Pastor does not mean that the pastor has a gift of counseling some do and some don`t .........Patience is a pre-requeset for the Pastor

Old 05-02-2018, 06:44 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
But I think it goes beyond "psychological" counseling. I have gotten a feeling that a lot of people speak to their pastors regarding business advice, education, financial, etc.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
I don't know if it's changed but I believe before a Catholic priest can be dubbed as one, he must spend 5-7 years in Seminary, studying various disciplines.

Luckily for me and my brothers and sisters, my father only spent one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity