Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes, it is a matter of whether or not you believe them. And I assure you that I understand the Biblical writers very well.

You believe in salvation by works despite the clear statement of Paul who said that salvation is not by works but by faith.
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9] not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Romans 11:6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.
Then there is what John says in Revelation 22:17.
Revelation 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" Let the one who hears say, "Come!" And let the one who is thirsty come, and the one who desires the water of life drink freely.
The water of life is a reference to eternal life. And it is said to be free. You do not work for something that is free. Eternal life is a gift. You do not, and cannot work for a gift, otherwise it is not a gift.

So again, do you believe Paul when he says that salvation is not by works? Do you believe John that the water of life (eternal life) is free? Or do you not believe them. That is the issue.
Cut and paste nonsense.

You don't seem to have any understanding of the Bible in terms of my OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 10:24 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen!!
Putting trust in Christ is ALL that Faith in Christ is about NOT believing any specific set of "precepts and doctrines of men." Just have Faith that Jesus did what He said He did and we are reconciled with God who loves us, is NOT counting our sins against us, and just wants us to love one another every day and repent when we don't.
How is that different from what I said (bolded)? Trusting in Christ’s redemptive work.

What about people who don’t do that?

Old 05-10-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

Old 05-10-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You are exactly the same! You post links to these artificially created cut-and-paste garbage. You can't find a single long passage that describes the garbage you believe in.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
You are exactly the same! You post links to these artificially created cut-and-paste garbage. You can't find a single long passage that describes the garbage you believe in.
Ozzy, you’re messed up, man. You’re so far out in left field, we can’t even see you. You have no idea what you believe and it bothers you that others can clearly define their beliefs. Mike and I both follow traditional Christianity.

You’re a bomb-thrower. I will not waste any more time on your nonsense.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:38 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Amen!!
Putting trust in Christ is ALL that Faith in Christ is about NOT believing any specific set of "precepts and doctrines of men." Just have Faith that Jesus did what He said He did and we are reconciled with God who loves us, is NOT counting our sins against us, and just wants us to love one another every day and repent when we don't.
Quote:
How is that different from what I said (bolded)? Trusting in Christ’s redemptive work.
What about people who don’t do that?
It is not different but your focus on "precepts and doctrines of men" creates a stumbling block for the love of God and each other by evoking fear of God which drives out love. People who do not do that will reap whatever they sow but no more and no less which is just because they will reap EXACTLY whatever they have inflicted on others.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Ozzy, you’re messed up, man. You’re so far out in left field, we can’t even see you. You have no idea what you believe and it bothers you that others can clearly define their beliefs. Mike and I both follow traditional Christianity.

You’re a bomb-thrower. I will not waste any more time on your nonsense.
In other words, I've touched a nerve. You have nothing to respond with so you run.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
It is not different but your focus on "precepts and doctrines of men" creates a stumbling block for the love of God and each other by evoking fear of God which drives out love. People who do not do that will reap whatever they sow but no more and no less which is just because they will reap EXACTLY whatever they have inflicted on others.
And your "precepts and doctrines of men" is contrary to scripture, even the words of Jesus. I wish you actually did what you say-believe Jesus.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:53 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
And your "precepts and doctrines of men" is contrary to scripture, even the words of Jesus. I wish you actually did what you say-believe Jesus.
I believe Jesus. You believe all the unnecessary "precepts and doctrines of men" designed to establish and promote religions and control over people. I believe Christ's central message that He has reconciled us with God, God is NOT counting our sins against us, and we need to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't. When we do that, we can NOT sin, period. IF we do NOT do that, we will reap whatever we sow, EXACTLY whatever we sow no matter WHAT we claim to believe. But we have nothing to fear from God, ever, period!

Old 05-10-2018, 11:12 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Cut and paste nonsense.

I am not the one lacking in understanding. And you just called what the apostles Paul and John said, garbage. And you're also wrong about the core message of the Bible being about social justice.

The core message that underlies the Bible at the deepest level in both the Old and New Testaments is God's plan to restore order to the Universe that fell into disorder because of sin and rebellion.

Jimmie is right. You are messed up. And there is simply no point in even bothering with you. This forum attracts all kinds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity