Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 12:17 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. It's logical. Do you believe Jesus could have eliminated poverty if he so chose to? If so..why didn't he?
Maybe because Jesus at this point in the story was a character representing what the church had started to become. The NT attests to the fact that there were already many antichrists while it was being written. Meaning, people using the name of Jesus who had drifted far from his message. Revelation speaks about the degrading of the original churches.

Also, don't forget that the "Jesus" which appeared to his followers after he died was someone they didn't even recognize at first. It almost seemed like the new Jesus had to sell himself to them in a new way.

Why is that? And why did they all eat "fish"?

And don't forget that the "Beast" of Revelation 13 was something that died and appeared to rise again. What else fits that description than the Jesus of traditional Christianity? Has traditional Christianity not actually been like a vicious beast upon the earth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 12:19 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Maybe because Jesus at this point in the story was a character representing what the church had started to become. The NT attests to the fact that there were already many antichrists while it was being written. Meaning, people using the name of Jesus who had drifted far from his message. Revelation speaks about the degrading of the original churches.

Also, don't forget that the "Jesus" which appeared to his followers after he died was someone they didn't even recognize at first. It almost seemed like the new Jesus had to sell himself in a new way.

Why is that?

And don't forget that the "Beast" of Revelation 13 was something that died and appeared to rise again. What else fits that description than the Jesus of traditional Christianity? Has traditional Christianity not actually been like a vicious beast upon the earth?
As long as you see him as simply a "character" in a book that represents something, you will read whatever you wish into it. And yes, we're going to disagree. I view him as an historical figure.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:22 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
But he didn't, actually. The last thing he said was to go and preach the Gospel -- not eliminate poverty.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't care about the poor and needy -- I've repeatedly said we should, but that's not the main focus.
You still think you were one of the 11 He said that too? He gave different commands to you and I than He did those 11. Talk about taking a place at the head of the table. When you get busted down to the kid's table at this wedding that won't be weeping and gnashing you hear from the outer darkness; it will be laughter from the likes of me and the Luciferian filth you are addressing.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
As long as you see him as simply a "character" in a book that represents something, you will read whatever you wish into it. And yes, we're going to disagree. I view him as an historical figure.
No, I don't seem him as only a character. But the stories written about him could not have been completely factual. No one could have recorded and written all of things in the stories. No honest person can take them as literal events. These were written by great fictional writers. Some of the greatest of all time.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:23 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
However you see it...it's true. Jesus had the power to eliminate poverty and sickness. And he didn't.

Again, what was his parting words in Matthew 28? Was his command to go and make sure all are treated fairly? Or was it to preach the Gospel? Historically, God has never been about just giving us a happy, wonderful life on earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The problem is that you think the Gospel is "you are bad by default, but your badness is goes away if you just believe xyz", and some of us think the Gospel is "you can be reconciled to Oneness by becoming a person who cares about others beyond yourself."

Simplified on both sides, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Why is this a problem MQ on a public forum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What??? I don't understand the question. What does "a public forum" have to do with my response to BF?

Recap:

BF says Jesus's focus was on going out into the world to preach the Gospel, not making life better for people here on earth.

MQ says in response that the F Christians see the "Gospel" as being saving from sin/hell, while NF Christians see the "Gospel" as a reconciliation to God as the Oneness that brings us closer to what we should be.

Don't see where any "public forum" issue comes in. BF is allowed to state his belief on this forum, and so am I.

Although, I would argue that this is not exactly a "public forum", since it's a business set up to make a profit, but I know what you meant.
I was wondering why you stated the bolded above. Why is it a problem?
I should have left off the public forum part. But what I meant by a public forum, is that is 'open' to various views.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:32 PM

Ignore the gorilla while going off on a tangent about this tiny flea.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:42 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Ignore the gorilla while going off on a tangent about this tiny flea.
Apologies, if guilty.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Apologies, if guilty.
It was not directed at you. But it would apply to anyone who ignores the core message of the Bible to discuss these tiny details which seem to have a profound influence on their preferred form of faith.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:25 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
No. It's logical. Do you believe Jesus could have eliminated poverty if he so chose to? If so..why didn't he?
What a dumb question, you speak like one of the widows in Elijah's day . Jesus taught to have faith in God, that in believing what you are saying is a done deal "when you pray", you shall have what you say. Whether you believe this or not or whether it is true or not, it IS what Jesus taught. It has got nothing to do with Jesus witholding. If the gospel accounts are true about all that he did and all that is not written that he did, then there must have been a massive outpouring of restoration in many various ways in the lives of multitudes.

Last edited by pcamps; 05-10-2018 at 01:46 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 01:50 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
The core theology in the Bible is not social justice. I bet a dollar to a doughnut hole, you don't even believe the Bible is really God's inspired word. You are just making up stuff that fits your theology.

The core theology of the Bible, including the OT, is the person and work of Jesus the Messiah.
This ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity