Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Day is "The Lords Day"?
Sunday 7 36.84%
Saturday 2 10.53%
Bibical Feast Day 0 0%
None 10 52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 06:38 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If you're a real Christian, you could do a lot a good in the world, and "meet together with fellow believers" (i.e., all work together) and do something really fruitful and worthwhile in the community. Feed the homeless, for instance - DO SOMETHING . . . sitting in church is wasteful.
We do both. My church operates a food bank, a free medical & dental clinic for the poor, we build home ramps for the wheelchar-bound, give away winter coats to under-priveleged children, operate an after-school care for at-risk kids and we send missionaries domestically and internationally to do medical work, build schools and hospitals and care for the indigent. All of this is paid for by the membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 08:40 PM

6,793 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Where in the bible does it specify what day exactly John was talking about in regards to "The Lords Day".

Revelation 1:10
10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

Sunday crowd usually states it is the Day Jesus rose or uses Rev 1:10, but there is no where in this verse in which John says any day.

Saturday crowd usually uses Matt 12:8, Mark 2:28, Luke 6:5... but there is no where in this verse in which any specific day is mentioned either.
Matthew 12:8
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.
even of the sabbath day.

Mark 2:28
28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Luke 6:5
5 And he said unto them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Some will even say its neither and God was referring to a biblical Sabbath Day (Day of Atonement, Trumpets, etc)

So where in the bible does it specify which day is the Lord's Day?
Revelation 1:10 is likely not referring to a specific day at all but rather a 'period' of last day events that are about to unfold, i.e. the day of the Lord.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness
If you're a real Christian, you could do a lot a good in the world, and "meet together with fellow believers" (i.e., all work together) and do something really fruitful and worthwhile in the community. Feed the homeless, for instance - DO SOMETHING . . . sitting in church is wasteful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
We do both. My church operates a food bank, a free medical & dental clinic for the poor, we build home ramps for the wheelchar-bound, give away winter coats to under-priveledged children, operate an after-school care for at-risk kids and we send missionaries domestically and internationally to do medical work, build schools and hospitals and care for the indigent. All of this is paid for by the membership.
Good for you and your church, Jimmie. It sounds as though you're following the lead of Jesus by 'taking care of these, the least of my brethren'.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Good for you and your church, Jimmie. It sounds as though you're following the lead of Jesus by 'taking care of these, the least of my brethren'.

A church can be wrong-headed and still do good.

Which is why the Salvation Army gets a few of my bucks every year.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:56 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
We do both. My church operates a food bank, a free medical & dental clinic for the poor, we build home ramps for the wheelchair-bound, give away winter coats to underprivileged children, operate an after-school care for at-risk kids and we send missionaries domestically and internationally to do medical work, build schools and hospitals and care for the indigent. All of this is paid for by the membership.

Quote:

Old 05-11-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This is one of my pet peeves. I live across the street from a Seventh Day Adventist church, so started thinking how ridiculous it was that people would start a complete new sect all over which day is the "right" day.

It's all bunk.

People should do community service and skip sitting inside listening to propaganda.
All this SDA church is doing is adhering to the 4th-command. They, as a Bible-believing church, believe that they're doing what is commanded of them. Your saying it's all bunk is meaningless rhetoric and, in fact, speaks of your complete ignorance as to why this church chooses to meet on Saturday. As for the SDA Church being a 'new sect' (again an ignorant remark made by you) this Church was founded 150 years ago. Moreover, this Church DOES do a GREAT DEAL of community service through its AdraCare Program.

While 'the Church' DOES receive much criticism these days (AND, from ME at times!) there are a lot of good people involved in the church of whatever denomination who do a lot of good things. And, this needs to be recognized and also acknowledged.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Sunday, of course. It's the day Jesus rose. The early church referred to it as "The Lord's Day" and it was separate from the Sabbath.
'The Lord's Day' (Revelation 1:10) has nothing at all to do with Sunday and likely has nothing to do with Saturday either. It rather has to do with the revelations that are to unfold during supposed 'last day events'. However, while I don't believe this, IF a specific day WAS intended it would be 'the Sabbath'? Why? Because it's a variation of the term that Jesus used (and, apparently within earshot of John, the author of Revelation) with regard to Jesus being Lord of the Sabbath. Lord of the Sabbath=the day that Jesus is Lord of=the Sabbath. That one gets Sunday from Revelation 1:10 is purely man-made and not scriptural at all.

But anyway, Revelation 1:10 likely DOESN'T refer to ANY specific 24-hour period.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:24 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Quote:
Revelation 1:10 is likely not referring to a specific day at all but rather a 'period' of last day events that are about to unfold, i.e. the day of the Lord.
Agreed, but I know it is used in combo in 1 Cor 16:2 about collecting an offering on the 1st day of the week and Acts 20:7, even though Acts 20:7 was technically right after a Saturday Sabbath ended in the evening and Paul spoke until midnight and was not referring to a Sunday morning meeting, so it shows cherry picking and combined and form powerful doctrines.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:22 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Well, the Lords day begins for me proper around 12:00 (Eastern time) Saturday when i won't respond to any business calls unless it's one of the lads who works for me and it ends around 9pm Sunday. My weekend involves being at my local bar watching English football, walking my dogs, spending Sunday afternoons out on our patio, doing something on the grill, listening to good music, and if the wife is lucky she might get a look in . I'm only joking.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:31 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
We do both. My church operates a food bank, a free medical & dental clinic for the poor, we build home ramps for the wheelchar-bound, give away winter coats to under-priveleged children, operate an after-school care for at-risk kids and we send missionaries domestically and internationally to do medical work, build schools and hospitals and care for the indigent. All of this is paid for by the membership.
Do the missionaries just set an example and be a light or do they shove their beliefs down the throats of the people they help causing the people to believe that if they do not submit then they will not be helped?...Do they still help that person regardless of whether or not they believe what you believe?...What If they reject your beliefs?...Do you leave them lying there bleeding until they scream, “I see the light!”?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity