Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 03:30 PM

292 posts, read 163,377 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago we saw a movie called Paul the Apostle https://www.amazon.com/Paul-Apostle-...SIN=B00022LIHK
A Hollywood Movie...yes... but if you'd humor me, I'd appreciate it.
There was a part of the movie where a lady tried to bow to Jesus mother
I believe he was long dead by then
They were Christians who were just introduced
Mary said something to the effect of Don't bow to me I am just a person
And something else in a very humble manner that meant you do not worship her
She redirected it to her earthly son Jesus being worshipped

Today I am at the Catholic Church (second time) paid to take a Client
And the congregation was re-citing some words which entailed worshipping Mother Mary
Not my imagination, it was something memorized by the congregation
My mentally disabled client can re-cite it too to a degree

Does scripture exist that reads Mary the Mother of Jesus tells some Christians she just met that she is not to be worshipped? Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 03:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Nope. Pretty sure Mary wasn't quoted at all. I mean, she was a woman for Pete's sake. Women weren't important except to breed and make dinner.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:59 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
This thing you heard--it was not the Hail Mary?

Sounds like it, but I think most people have heard of it before even if they are not Catholic because of TV or movies, so I would be surprised if someone didn't recognize it.

No, I don't think the movie scene you described is biblically based. It sounds like an anti-Catholic plug, actually.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:59 PM

33,256 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSonya View Post
A few weeks ago we saw a movie called Paul the Apostle https://www.amazon.com/Paul-Apostle-...SIN=B00022LIHK
A Hollywood Movie...yes... but if you'd humor me, I'd appreciate it.
There was a part of the movie where a lady tried to bow to Jesus mother
I believe he was long dead by then
They were Christians who were just introduced
Mary said something to the effect of Don't bow to me I am just a person
And something else in a very humble manner that meant you do not worship her
She redirected it to her earthly son Jesus being worshipped

Today I am at the Catholic Church (second time) paid to take a Client
And the congregation was re-citing some words which entailed worshipping Mother Mary
Not my imagination, it was something memorized by the congregation
My mentally disabled client can re-cite it too to a degree

Does scripture exist that reads Mary the Mother of Jesus tells some Christians she just met that she is not to be worshipped? Thank you for your help.
Well, no. There is no scripture in which Mary, or anyone else, says that she is not to be worshiped. However, scripture is pretty clear that only God is to be worshiped. Even the elect angels refuse worship and say to worship God. Twice, John, awed by the angel who is speaking to him, falls down to worship the angel who has to tell him not to do that but to worship God. If even the elect angels refuse worship, do you think that Mary would accept being worshiped?
Revelation 19:9 Then he said to me, "Write, 'Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.'" And he said to me, "These are true words of God." 10] Then I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, "Do not do that; I am a fellow servant of yours and your brethren who hold the testimony of Jesus; worship God. For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

Revelation 22:8 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed me these things. 9] But he said to me, "Do not do that. I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book. Worship God."
And yes, Jesus is God and therefore is deserving of worship.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:01 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Nope. Pretty sure Mary wasn't quoted at all. I mean, she was a woman for Pete's sake. Women weren't important except to breed and make dinner.
Mary is quoted in the Bible in the passage known as The Magnificat, which she breaks into when she visits her kinswoman Elizabeth, who is also pregnant (with John the Baptist.)

Missed that, huh, Altar Boy?

Old 07-15-2018, 06:25 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Well, no. There is no scripture in which Mary, or anyone else, says that she is not to be worshiped. However, scripture is pretty clear that only God is to be worshiped. Even the elect angels refuse worship and say to worship God. Twice, John, awed by the angel who is speaking to him, falls down to worship the angel who has to tell him not to do that but to worship God. If even the elect angels refuse worship, do you think that Mary would accept being worshiped?
Revelation 19:9 Then he said to me, "Write, 'Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.'" And he said to me, "These are true words of God." 10] Then I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, "Do not do that; I am a fellow servant of yours and your brethren who hold the testimony of Jesus; worship God. For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

Revelation 22:8 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed me these things. 9] But he said to me, "Do not do that. I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book. Worship God."
Since God put his blessing on heterosexuality, and since Mary actually is the mother of Jesus, is it possible that those three are the Holy Trinity and that Mary represents the Holy Spirit? I know you will say, no, but this thought just occurred to me as I was thinking about it since I am not dogmatic on the trinity. Father, Son, ..... Mary (Holy Spirit) ? Could be.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:46 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
What Jesus says of the veneration of Mary.

And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked.

But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

Luke 11:27-28 KJV

*words of Christ in red.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-16-2018 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: Rules: Don't use red text

Old 07-15-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Mary is quoted in the Bible in the passage known as The Magnificat, which she breaks into when she visits her kinswoman Elizabeth, who is also pregnant (with John the Baptist.)

Missed that, huh, Altar Boy?
I was away that day.

But I have a note.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
...snip...
But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

Luke 11:27-28 KJV

*words of Christ in red.

Yeah. Words of Christ. Right. Kind of you to point them out...

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-16-2018 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: Quoted post: Removed red text

Old 07-15-2018, 08:31 PM

33,256 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Since God put his blessing on heterosexuality, and since Mary actually is the mother of Jesus, is it possible that those three are the Holy Trinity and that Mary represents the Holy Spirit? I know you will say, no, but this thought just occurred to me as I was thinking about it since I am not dogmatic on the trinity. Father, Son, ..... Mary (Holy Spirit) ? Could be.
Since the Holy Spirit is mentioned in the Old Testament, and therefore preexisted Mary, and since the Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity, I don't see how Mary could represent the Holy Spirit or herself be understood to be a part of the Trinity. In Psalm 51:11, (51:13 in the Tanakh) David prays that the Holy Spirit not be taken from him.
Psalm 51:11 Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your Holy Spirit (qodesh ruach) from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity