Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 06:47 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If someone clarifies a verse by quoting other verses, they are still not adding to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Jesus said this: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

It is not added by "fundamentalists". It's in the Bible.

Let us not pretend He did not say that, and let us not pretend there aren't 200 (more or less) other verses which are in line with it.
And yet we KNOW according to scripture EVERY knee shall bow and EVERY tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

Which tells us that this scripture is absolutely correct to state

Jesus Christ IS the savior of all men, and not the potential saviour.

It also matches up with the restitution of all things spoken by all the holy prophets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 07:10 AM

371 posts, read 287,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Bible gateway is not the final authority on what is or what is not.

There is such a hing as a fundamentalist. I am one.
bible gateway is just the bible online. You can choose a translation.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:25 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
there is no such thing as a fundamentalist. Do a key word search at bible gateway.

Yes I think that is an accurate message
Doing a key word search on a bible website is irrelevant. No one said the word is in the Bible.

There IS such a thing as a Christian fundamentalist. The fundamentalists themselves are the ones who coined the term and defined it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism

There are other sites, but Wikipedia gives a good overview.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:30 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
I am not sure what the word potential implies, sorry. Most of my studying was done at home, independently. Wasn't allowed to attend church growing up.

Somewhere in Ephesians it states we were chosen "in him" before the foundation of the world
GOD is all knowing so it would make no sense for him to want to save some one he knows ahead of time, will not choose him. It's a mystery really, which unfolds somewhat as we progress in maturity in Christ but doubtful it will be fully understood while in this fleshly body sporting a limited finite mind

I am not a believer because I wish it be this way. Not sure how anyone could want it to be this way.

I am a believer because scripture is Gods telephone to communicate with us so we can have a relationship with him. It is truth
Nah, it's not. That's a terrible error that leads one down the wrong road. Scripture was written by men, and that MUST always be kept in mind. Once you start thinking that it's literally God's word, it opens a door to pride, self-righteousness, and misuse of power.

We get it--it's so much simpler to just quote pre-written words. No thinking has to be done, no measures taken of one own's flaws and paths to self-correction. But, it's not simple. Life, and relationships, including humanity's relationship with God, is not simple, not definable, and not easily summed up by rote repetition of the words of others who sought the same. There is much wisdom and much foolishness to be found in the Bible, just like in the humans who set down their thoughts in writing and left it behind.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:34 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Ironically, I find the author to be more close minded than the fundamentalist that he stereotypes in the article. Atheists like him won't even conceive the possibility that they could be wrong even though there is not a single shred of proof to show that there is no life after death.

A born again believer does not rest faith merely on wishful thinking. We have real supernatural encounters that strengthen our faith as well as countless evidences that clearly show that love is the element to life, and when there is no love, the human experience withers and dies as people feel empty inside.

From a purely atheist worldwide, human beings should never feeel hopeless or resort to suicide. We should be quite satisfied with just sleeping, eating and pooping like every other animal species.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:05 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
ItIsWritten, you wrote:
"I am a believer because scripture is Gods telephone to communicate with us so we can have a relationship with him. It is truth" but I get the feeling that you are a believer because you encountered the "Guide" that Jesus promised (not a book) and ar only confused because people have told you that tne Bible is the Word.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:17 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Bible gateway is not the final authority on what is or what is not.

There is such a hing as a fundamentalist. I am one.

You are indeed. And a prototypical version, I must say.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:20 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nah, it's not. That's a terrible error that leads one down the wrong road. Scripture was written by men, and that MUST always be kept in mind. Once you start thinking that it's literally God's word, it opens a door to pride, self-righteousness, and misuse of power.

We get it--it's so much simpler to just quote pre-written words. No thinking has to be done, no measures taken of one own's flaws and paths to self-correction. But, it's not simple. Life, and relationships, including humanity's relationship with God, is not simple, not definable, and not easily summed up by rote repetition of the words of others who sought the same. There is much wisdom and much foolishness to be found in the Bible, just like in the humans who set down their thoughts in writing and left it behind.

Eloquent and true.

Too soon, natch.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

You seem to have alot of resentment and pre-concieved notions you are applying to me.

I haven't quoted scripture ....but yes, it testifies to itself as such. So it's impossible to believe in the gospel without believing this. Otherwise or you are just not a believer, period. So it's good to be honest about it.

Just like if I go into the Muslim forum, then state man wrote the koran when/if it testifies to itself as being the word of God, I cannot dispute that them claim to be a follower. Otherwise i am being disingenuous and sneaky

Last edited by ItIsWritten.; 05-18-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
ItIsWritten, you wrote:
"I am a believer because scripture is Gods telephone to communicate with us so we can have a relationship with him. It is truth" but I get the feeling that you are a believer because you encountered the "Guide" that Jesus promised (not a book) and ar only confused because people have told you that tne Bible is the Word.
We can only know our God thru one lifeline, his word.

Otherwise you would not know Jesus name at all if it weren't for the bible.

Nor any truths about him or your relationship with him.

So we are all set now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity