Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 09:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
He also worked in a good reference to the element of fire.

No doubt taming it was man's first giant step towards today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 06:30 AM

88,504 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No doubt taming it was man's first giant step towards today.
Yup. that was the theme he used.

"Pierre Teilhard de Chardin - and with this I will sit down, we gotta get you all married - French Jesuit Pierre Teilhard de Chardin was arguably one of the great minds, great spirits of the 20th century.

"Jesuit, Roman Catholic priest, scientist, a scholar, a mystic.

"In some of his writings, he said, from his scientific background as well as his theological one, in some of his writings he said - as others have - that the discovery, or invention, or harnessing of fire was one of the great scientific and technological discoveries in all of human history.

"Fire to a great extent made human civilisation possible. Fire made it possible to cook food and to provide sanitary ways of eating which reduced the spread of disease in its time.

"Fire made it possible to heat warm environments and thereby made human migration around the world a possibility, even into colder climates.

"Fire made it possible - there was no Bronze Age without fire, no Iron Age without fire, no Industrial Revolution without fire.

"The advances of fire and technology are greatly dependent on the human ability and capacity to take fire and use it for human good.

"Anybody get here in a car today? An automobile? Nod your heads if you did - I know there were some carriages. But those of us who came in cars, fire - the controlled, harnessed fire - made that possible.

"I know that the Bible says, and I believe it, that Jesus walked on the water. But I have to tell you, I did not walk across the Atlantic Ocean to get here.

"Controlled fire in that plane got me here. Fire makes it possible for us to text and tweet and email and Instagram and Facebook and socially be dysfunctional with each other. (Especially like that one, lol)

"Fire makes all of that possible, and de Chardin said fire was one of the greatest discoveries in all of human history.

"And he then went on to say that if humanity ever harnesses the energy of fire again, if humanity ever captures the energy of love - it will be the second time in history that we have discovered fire."

Royal wedding 2018: Bishop Michael Curry's speech in full - BBC News

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-21-2018 at 06:49 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 08:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Thanks for placing that for us...his whole sermon was perfect.
Well, at least for ME!

Old 05-22-2018, 12:48 AM

3,796 posts, read 2,991,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not at all. I grew up in the Reformed Church. Like most churches that lean toward the Bible being inerrant/literal, they focus heavily on sin/death/hell. That's the opposite of the Episcopal Church. They will jump right up with you and point to the Episcopalians as hell-bound. But, they use the Apostles Creed.

Anyway, you've got the advantage of Real Live People on this thread who attend Episcopal churches telling you our perspectives. Sometimes that's far more accurate than "reading" something.
Evangelicals will do that to all Liturgical and liberal churches it seems, including the mainstream "Church of England" and it's derivatives.
Most Protestants I know are high church Anglicans fwiw.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
As Rev Curry said today in an interview...he was a bit nervous with millions of
people watching...but he did what he always does , talks TO the couples' souls,
and thereby you are talking to all souls. xo

Old 05-22-2018, 03:28 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,079,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
As Rev Curry said today in an interview...he was a bit nervous with millions of
people watching...but he did what he always does , talks TO the couples' souls,
and thereby you are talking to all souls. xo
I watched that today and am glad I did. He seems like a very likable chap. Referenced Dr MLK as well
I skipped the wedding on tv. Fact is I hate weddings ( we eloped)
But I will seek out more from this man and enjoy his thoughts and ideas.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:26 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
Having been on the clergy side of the church world for the last 30 years, Ive learned a few things. One of those, is that pastors lie a lot. Most are not much different than politicians. They tell people what they want to hear, so that people will keep coming and put money in the offering so that they can keep their jobs. Most are much more liberal than they will let on. I'll cite two examples from denominations that are in fellowship with the Episcopal church.
1. I heard a Presvyterian pastor say on Easter Sunday, concerning Jesus resurrection, "we're no sure what happened, but something happened".
2. A pastor who left the ELCA, for a conservative Lutheran denomination wrote a tell all book about about all the teachings he learned while there that were contrary to the Bible. If anyone is interested, it called "Whats going on among the Lutherans.

Besides that, it is totally contrary to Gods word to approve of the murder of babies, and sex outside the bonds of marriage. Those are the kind of teachings that come from people who dont take the Bible seriously.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Having been on the clergy side of the church world for the last 30 years, Ive learned a few things. One of those, is that pastors lie a lot. Most are not much different than politicians. They tell people what they want to hear, so that people will keep coming and put money in the offering so that they can keep their jobs. Most are much more liberal than they will let on. I'll cite two examples from denominations that are in fellowship with the Episcopal church.
1. I heard a Presvyterian pastor say on Easter Sunday, concerning Jesus resurrection, "we're no sure what happened, but something happened".
2. A pastor who left the ELCA, for a conservative Lutheran denomination wrote a tell all book about about all the teachings he learned while there that were contrary to the Bible. If anyone is interested, it called "Whats going on among the Lutherans.

Besides that, it is totally contrary to Gods word to approve of the murder of babies, and sex outside the bonds of marriage. Those are the kind of teachings that come from people who dont take the Bible seriously.
When you say such ridiculous things, it's hard to take YOU seriously.

But despite your silly backflipping attempts to disparage non-Fundamentalist Christians, the point is that they don't take the Bible LITERALLY.

So if a group of Christians makes it clear that they take the Bible not as a literal, dictated "Word of God" but rather uses it in the context in which and by whom and when it was written, what exactly is your point?

You brag that you've "learned a few things", but it looks as if there's a few other things you haven't learned, because you seem to keep repeating the same incorrect stuff over and over.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-26-2018 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-26-2018, 03:03 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Why do these faux Christian ministers take the title "Reverend"? That word is never used once in the New Testament. I'm guessing it has to do with their vanity and pride.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Why do these faux Christian ministers take the title "Reverend"? That word is never used once in the New Testament. I'm guessing it has to do with their vanity and pride.
It's a traditional term that's been around for centuries. You never heard it before? :dubious

The Reformed Church uses the title "Reverend" in front of a pastor's name; e.g., "Reverend Stiffnecked".

The Episcopal Church uses it as a descriptive for a priest or bishop and never as a title; e.g., "The Reverend Stiffnecked".

How exactly are you authorized to determine that an Episcopal bishop is a "faux Christian minister"? Is "minister" in the New Testament? And what does it existing or not existing in the New Testament have to do with anything? Oh wait, you probably have a memory verse to quote. Spare me. Sorry I asked!

Methinks you need to look at your own vanity and pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity