Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 03:43 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Well, I think you would do better being read if you came down from your high horse of reproving and correcting and just post as one person to another. As long as you see it as "your job" there might not be much hope that you will, but you can try. Also you might try to stop with the insults and the knowing better than others. Just a thought.
Prepare for the Colbert gif., especially after he's had a toke or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 03:52 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Well, I think you would do better being read if you came down from your high horse of reproving and correcting and just post as one person to another. As long as you see it as "your job" there might not be much hope that you will, but you can try. Also you might try to stop with the insults and the knowing better than others. Just a thought.
A lot of people read these forums. Trout isn't posting for you, he's posting for them.

And yes, you are a fundamentalist, Catholic or not. There are plenty of Catholic fundamentalists, most of them attempting to hinder Pope Francis' attempts to make Catholicism a more Christ-like denomination. You've spent plenty of time criticizing him.

Here are some of the fundamentalist psychological traits your posts have displayed:

Quote:
A strictly hierarchical and authoritarian worldview. Everything has to have a First, a Somebody in Charge. In any partnership, one partner has to have the deciding vote. Groups and societies work best with rigidly defined roles and stratifications. (There are people who believe this way who are not fundamentalists: at least, not religious fundamentalists.)

Ethical development at the "reward and punishment" stage: morality must be defined and enforced by an external authority.

A lot of guilt and fear about sex.

Basic distrust of human beings; certainty that "uncontrolled," human beings will be bad and vicious, particularly in sexual ways.

Low tolerance for ambiguity. Everything must be clear cut, black and white. Nothing can be "possibly true but unproven at this time, we're still studying it."
A Psychological Analysis of Fundamentalism: Essay by Anitra Freeman

But there is still hope for you should you decide to grow spiritually:

Quote:
How does anyone ever become an ex-fundamentalist? Any or all of these factors seem effective:
1. Relationships with "non-believers" who become emotionally valued.
2. Intellectual process: a build-up of contradictions between taught morality and the behavior of church authorities and members; unresolved questions in study of the Bible; what is taught about the world vs observation.
3. Receiving unconditional love and acceptance from a non-fundamentalist.
4. A strengthened self-esteem, with the loss of the need for others to be Wrong.
5. A spiritual epiphany, with a new faith that one's relationship with God is not conditional on "perfect" faith or behavior, that it can grow and change.
same source

The majority of the followers in any of the world's religions are able to hold a strong personal belief and not feel threatened that others hold different beliefs. That's why I like Trout, and why he sounds a lot more like Jesus than do you!

Old 03-08-2019, 04:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Thanks. I'll take your advice with me next time I go to the dump.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Prepare for the Colbert gif., especially after he's had a toke or two.
Janelle is rarely worthy of a Colbert. Not gonna check, but I don't think I've ever awarded her one.

But she can keep trying!

Old 03-08-2019, 05:35 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
questions, what has cause you to feel the way you do concerning Jehovah God? and do you feel the same way towards his son Jesus? do you not believe that there is a Power more higher than any human? I'm asking because I truly want to understand why some feel as you do.
Are you asking if there is a sentient entity or a non-sentient larger power?

Old 03-08-2019, 05:40 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Jesus can be found all the way back in Genesis. That was written hundreds of years ago because the gospel writers supposely made up the Jesus story.

15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. Genesis 3:15

How in the name of what ever you think is holy does that remotely relate to a biblical Jesus? That is the worst extrapolation I have ever seen.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:02 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
WOW, Trout is into a solemn duty to reprove and to correct us and Wardendresden is psychoanalyzing us. How fortunate we are. LOL

I have respect for Pope Francis but many in the church are having a concern on how he is handling the sex abuse problem. He didn't even address in his last conference.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Thanks. I'll take your advice with me next time I go to the dump.
Another insult, keep proving me right.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:15 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
WOW, Trout is into a solemn duty to reprove and to correct us and Wardendresden is psychoanalyzing us. How fortunate we are. LOL

I have respect for Pope Francis but many in the church are having a concern on how he is handling the sex abuse problem. He didn't even address in his last conference.
Here you are telling us what God believes about gays without a shred of factual evidence and you're concerned with me psychoanalyzing you???

Did you read about the problem fundamentalists have with sex? And aren't you trying to tell us what kind of sex is acceptable.

Fundamentalist you are.

Pope Francis has done more than any other Pope in the past with regard to the sex abuse scandal. The Vatican has no system of justice in place right now (he is trying to change that) so it's not like he could pull a lawbook out and make a JUST decision.

Quote:
Pope Francis begged for forgiveness in an unprecedented letter Monday and said Catholic leaders were to blame following a grand jury report last week that found more than 1,000 children were sexually abused by "predator priests" in Pennsylvania for decades.
"With shame and repentance, we acknowledge as an ecclesial community that we were not where we should have been, that we did not act in a timely manner, realizing the magnitude and the gravity of the damage done to so many lives," Francis wrote.
He met with the victims individually and did not brush them off in five minutes as Pope Benedict did.

"We showed no care for the little ones; we abandoned them," he added.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/pope-fr...-shame-n902121

Quote:
First, Pope Francis spent a great deal of time, according to the press reports, with each of the individuals. The young woman who spoke to the Irish newspapers said he was unhurried, he didn’t look at his watch, and sat with her at length and listened to her. This was different from the approach that Pope Benedict took, with shorter meetings, and not as involved in gathering the emotional weight of each one of their accounts. I don’t mean that as a criticism of the former pope, but Francis decided to go more than the extra mile in spending time with them.

The second point is, his language struck me as quite a reflection of guilt on his part on behalf of the hierarchy of the church. He begged for forgiveness rather like a sinner going to confession. What’s significant there is that when someone in his position establishes a terrain of language, a territorial vocabulary, for discussing something that’s as aching and reaching as this scandal that has been building for years, it creates a kind of arena for ongoing exchanges.
Even though some of the survivors’ groups are attacking him, he’s actually done them a favor by speaking as bluntly as he did.
The challenge for the pope and for the Vatican now is how they create the structural changes to meet the promise of the rhetoric.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...abuse-scandal/

Last edited by Wardendresden; 03-09-2019 at 01:27 AM..

Old 03-09-2019, 02:02 AM

He begs for forgiveness but not much else. These abusers need to see some jail time.

Are you equating pedophilia with gays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity