Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 07:37 PM

3,220 posts, read 923,679 times

Advertisements

Jesus says that those who love Him keep His commandments but also says those who love Him keep His word. So is keeping His word the same as keeping His commandments?

It would seem so when He said the Father commanded Him what to say then refers to that as commandments.

Thoughts?

Reference;

John 14:15

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments."

John 14:21

" They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me
; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them."

John 14:23 (NRS) Jesus answered him, "Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

John 12:49,50

for I have not spoken on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and what to speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is eternal life so what I speak, therefore, I speak just as the Father has instructed me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 08:11 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
In my considered opinioon the way that passage is translated reflects the authoritarian background of almost all of the translators. Given the manner of the teaching of Jesus and the nature of His "New Commandment" and the wording in the translation of John 14:23 above comes closer to the meaning where "word" reflects the ideas or Way that Jesus taught rather than commands or ordinances. A better sense of the meaning would be "If you love me, do as I have taught you. If you can look up ἐντολὰς in the Arndt, Gingtich et al Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament (NOT in Strong's) Sorry, my copy is not handy.

As an exercise in consideration on the subject, consider that "New Commanment:" "That you love one another even as I have loved you," Which is often pointed out to be a rewording of the Decalogue Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" (forgive the KJV it's still how I think of these things) Ok, so what did Jesus mean by "New" if there is nothing new about it? I submit that He was saying something like, "Just as the Ten are the foundation of the Mosaic Law THIS is the foundation of the "New Covenant." How can you "command" love? You really can't, but that concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation that is ἀγάπη is the foundation of the Way Jesus taught.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:22 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
In my considered opinioon the way that passage is translated reflects the authoritarian background of almost all of the translators. Given the manner of the teaching of Jesus and the nature of His "New Commandment" and the wording in the translation of John 14:23 above comes closer to the meaning where "word" reflects the ideas or Way that Jesus taught rather than commands or ordinances. A better sense of the meaning would be "If you love me, do as I have taught you. If you can look up ἐντολὰς in the Arndt, Gingtich et al Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament (NOT in Strong's) Sorry, my copy is not handy.

As an exercise in consideration on the subject, consider that "New Commanment:" "That you love one another even as I have loved you," Which is often pointed out to be a rewording of the Decalogue Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" (forgive the KJV it's still how I think of these things) Ok, so what did Jesus mean by "New" if there is nothing new about it? I submit that He was saying something like, "Just as the Ten are the foundation of the Mosaic Law THIS is the foundation of the "New Covenant." How can you "command" love? You really can't, but that concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation that is ἀγάπη is the foundation of the Way Jesus taught.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:20 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Jesus says that those who love Him keep His commandments but also says those who love Him keep His word. So is keeping His word the same as keeping His commandments?

It would seem so when He said the Father commanded Him what to say then refers to that as commandments.

Thoughts?

Reference;

" They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them."

John 14:23 (NRS) Jesus answered him, "Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

for I have not spoken on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and what to speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is eternal life so what I speak, therefore, I speak just as the Father has instructed me."

His words are the same as His Father's, else He could not be the Messiah. Simple as that. Blessings...

Old 05-30-2018, 02:53 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
All of the commandment are part of the new covenant through Jesus and spirit and the truth , were Holy Spirit who abides on the children of God will be inbred with the commandments of God ......... Still some of the Mosaic laws of the temple rules would be blaspheme through covenant of Jesus Christ , and then the feast would not be mandatory laws for Jesus , the feast can bring honor to the Lord ...

Old 05-30-2018, 10:00 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post

Thoughts?

Reference;

" They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me
; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them."

Jesus tells us what the will of the Father is.

John 6:40 "For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

If we do that, then we will do the rest automatically.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:13 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

John 6:40 "For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

Old 05-30-2018, 01:51 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
There is no "IF" about it!

Old 05-30-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post

Really?

Even though Jesus said that He gave His words to His followers and they accepted them.

Even though He said those who come to Him use His words.

Even though He said to abide in His word.

Even though He sent His followers as He was sent.

Even though He said man lives by every word from the mouth of God.

And even though He said those that continue in His word are truly His disciples.

And even though He said that the one who is sent by God speaks the words of God.

Maybe think again.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Jesus said He came to do the will of the Father but He said He was sent to testify the truth and proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God. So spreading God's word is doing the will of God just as believing in the Son is doing the works He did and spreading His word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity