Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It's trendy nowadays to show how woke you are by attacking things society has accepted for generations.

Yeah, like Jesus upending the money lenders tables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 01:05 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
The cross is on public land and doesn't belong there. It is a simple 1st Amendment issue, and the district court judge, who apparently is an evangelical judge, ruled he had no choice to to agree with the American Humanist Association. In fact, his last remarks in his judgement are:

Count me among those who hope the Supreme Court will one day revisit and reconsider its Establishment Clause jurisprudence, but my duty is to enforce the law as it now stands.

That judge was the president of the organization that installed the cross.

https://americanhumanist.org/press-r...-ruling-favor/

Beckett Law is once again fighting a losing case, as is their habit.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:26 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Yet they make a graven image of the bible, water, ashes, holidays and church buildings..
Then you must get rid of all your pictures immediately. All your family pictures, all of it. Get rid of them now!

Old 06-08-2018, 01:27 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yeah, like Jesus upending the money lenders tables.
Kind of, but the difference is that I believe Jesus was correct in what he was doing. He wasn't doing it just to be an obstinate jerk.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:31 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Then you must get rid of all your pictures immediately. All your family pictures, all of it. Get rid of them now!
Some Christians sects already follow that. The Hutterites even cover images of buildings on a calendar.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Kind of, but the difference is that I believe Jesus was correct in what he was doing. He wasn't doing it just to be an obstinate jerk.
The money lenders were in the temple, a place of worship, not a store.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:33 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
Isn't this followed by v. 5, which states: You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Within context, I don't worship the cross, the bible, or any other graven images identified by others within this thread. These items may be helps with envisioning suffering, biblical concepts, or historical events, but are not often used in worship or with the bent knee.

Within a context of the same (Exodus 20:5 Commentaries: "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,), the following is explained: Verse 5. - Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them. Every outward sign of honour was shown to images in the ancient world. They were not regarded as emblems, but as actual embodiments of deity. There was a special rite in Greece (Theopoea) by means of which the gods were inducted into their statues, and made to take up their abodes in them. Seneca says of the Romans of his own day - "They pray to these images of the gods, implore them on bended knee, sit or stand long days before them, throw them money, and sacrifice beasts to them, so treating them with deep respect, though they despise the man who made them"

I don't know of many people who consider the bible, the cross, etc., the embodiment of deity. I think this is a scattered notion, but to focus on the same gives support to something not often part of debate or common discourse. But if it gives you joy, carry on; you can stand at the gate and identify your stumbling block.

>waits for hailstorm of disrepute<
That is great to hear, but since I did not mention anyone by name, i am curious as to why you felt this was directed towards you?

Though there are many here among us who feel that the bible is equal to or even above the words of Christ.

In fact many would rate it Bible number 1, Paul number 2 and Jesus a distant 3rd.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:37 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
LOL....at least I do not walk around quoting my ancestors as gospel and demanding others build concrete buildings to worship then in and writing a book to justify their veneration...nor do I pray that they intercede on my behalf.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
LOL....at least I do not walk around quoting my ancestors as gospel and demanding others build concrete buildings to worship then in and writing a book to justify their veneration...nor do I pray that they intercede on my behalf.
But that is all a great comfort to people. I don't know why a hand full of people who it bothers can't leave the rest alone if it comforts them.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:12 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
The money lenders were in the temple, a place of worship, not a store.
No, get to know your bible.

The money lenders were in the market BY the temple.

From NIV:

John 2:15
So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.

The historical significance is it is in those courts that the weekly markets were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity