Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 01:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times

Advertisements

The obsession with head size and the shape of the dome is infectious. LMAO

Old 06-16-2018, 01:57 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploughboy View Post
You're being very presumptuous.
so the kettle says to the pot.. ROFLAMO...

Old 06-16-2018, 02:04 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
No, I did not say I was the Messiah. Therefore your snide comment is a personal attack which is a violation of the forum rules may I remind you. Distorting my words for the purpose of attacking will be something I will report. So mature up and learn how to read someone attentively without twisting it.
Jesus never directly said He was either. Yet by His actions others assumed He was..

Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.

And many are led astray by the arrogance and piety of others.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:25 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Quote:
I have a friend who is a professional creationist. He tends to deal more with the scientific arguments of today then he dells with Biblical defense. This is not to say he cannot defend Scripture by no means. Though I have decided to defend just Scripture. I personally do not care if people think the earth is flat. If they think the earth is flat then have at it. My concern is this scam on the Bible and how it leads to nothing but mass apostasy and extreme antisemitism.

The firmament is not meant to mean solid. Even Augustine who has been misrepresented here mentions about a place beyond the limits of air; that is, the limits of our atmosphere. I do not believe these so-called scholars who have rejected the word of God are even truly saved. As an Anglican (church of England), the church has been divided in many different groups. Moderator cut: We aren't accusing Christian churches of equivalence to Satanic priests (whatever that is). Fortunately for me I'm ACC, the Anglican Continuum, still using the 1928 BCP. I was thinking about becoming a Roman Catholic but they do not know the 5th word. If a church don't understand the 5th word of Gen.1:1 the how will they understand John 1:1? So this liberal Christian movement, being extremely far left and antisemitic, is not orthodox and has no root.
got one you might like.

if the earth were an infinite plane.
Would there be a horizon?

Old 06-16-2018, 11:31 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, back to the OP: no, the Bible does not teach flat earth, it just makes reference to the current local cosmology that icludes the earth as flat with a dome over it.
...and I thought that those who wrote that 'local cosmology' were being 'inspired' by the Hebrew war god, Yahweh? You'd have thought he'd had told them they were wrong!

Old 06-17-2018, 07:48 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and I thought that those who wrote that 'local cosmology' were being 'inspired' by the Hebrew war god, Yahweh? You'd have thought he'd had told them they were wrong!
Now you get the reason for the violent objection to people pointing out the references to local cosmology. It couldn't be the case if "God said it."

Or even more interesting: "God said it, so that must be how it is and science is a scam."

Old 06-17-2018, 09:29 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
So, back to the OP: no, the Bible does not teach flat earth, it just makes reference to the current local cosmology that icludes the earth as flat with a dome over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Quote:
Now you get the reason for the violent objection to people pointing out the references to local cosmology. It couldn't be the case if "God said it."

Or even more interesting: "God said it, so that must be how it is and science is a scam."
Exactly! And someone posted a link to a Mike Heiser article. I like Mike as a scholar in regard to the ANE customs and languages but not his rationalizations trying to maintain a belief in such a God.

Mike Heiser’s Article: http://drmsh.com/christians-who-beli...ber-than-this/

It is funny that God did not care about cosmology and the representation of it, his creation, as factual but somehow cares about other ANE customs like tattoos, dress, and food habits. How do we really know when it is telling us ‘true truth’ and only condescending to the culture of the period? If it cannot be trusted in the things we can verify (physical things) how can we trust it in things we cannot – like angles, resurrection, Adam and Eve, etc. As such the Bible becomes a useless source for ‘revelation.’

What Mike Thinks:

"My position is straightforward. The biblical writers do indeed describe a flat round earth… They wrote about the world this way because they lived at a time before knowledge of the natural world was sufficient to demonstrate otherwise."

"Let me just say God isn’t a liar. He knows (and knew) the earth is a globe. It just happens that the people he chose to produce this thing we call the Bible didn’t know that. And God couldn’t have cared less. The writers God used to produce the Bible were not inspired to write about things of the natural world that were beyond their own worldview and knowledge base."

Why not? With an all-knowing God directing them to write regarding his will and truth you would think that would be sufficient enough to actually give a proper description of how the world is and how God created it. Why does it seek to be a polemic against the gods and their beliefs but not their cosmological view? Why would YHWH use the scaffolding of pagan cosmology as a vehicle for his spiritual truths? This make no sense given God’s capabilities and his other trivial concerns – like clothing, food habits, and facial hair. Really!

This is simply a rationalization born out cognitive dissonance.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Exactly! And someone posted a link to a Mike Heiser article. I like Mike as a scholar in regard to the ANE customs and languages but not his rationalizations trying to maintain a belief in such a God.

Mike Heiser’s Article: http://drmsh.com/christians-who-beli...ber-than-this/

It is funny that God did not care about cosmology and the representation of it, his creation, as factual but somehow cares about other ANE customs like tattoos, dress, and food habits. How do we really know when it is telling us ‘true truth’ and only condescending to the culture of the period? If it cannot be trusted in the things we can verify (physical things) how can we trust it in things we cannot – like angles, resurrection, Adam and Eve, etc. As such the Bible becomes a useless source for ‘revelation.’

What Mike Thinks:

"My position is straightforward. The biblical writers do indeed describe a flat round earth… They wrote about the world this way because they lived at a time before knowledge of the natural world was sufficient to demonstrate otherwise."

"Let me just say God isn’t a liar. He knows (and knew) the earth is a globe. It just happens that the people he chose to produce this thing we call the Bible didn’t know that. And God couldn’t have cared less. The writers God used to produce the Bible were not inspired to write about things of the natural world that were beyond their own worldview and knowledge base."

Why not? With an all-knowing God directing them to write regarding his will and truth you would think that would be sufficient enough to actually give a proper description of how the world is and how God created it. Why does it seek to be a polemic against the gods and their beliefs but not their cosmological view? Why would YHWH use the scaffolding of pagan cosmology as a vehicle for his spiritual truths? This make no sense given God’s capabilities and his other trivial concerns – like clothing, food habits, and facial hair. Really!

This is simply a rationalization born out cognitive dissonance.
How exactly do normal human beings, all endowed with that of a conscience, having an awareness of individual responsibility for their judgments and choices; manage to justify in their own eyes the most inhuman atrocities and acts of self-righteousness without running into intolerable cognitive dissonance within their own supreme values?

Old 06-17-2018, 12:03 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
How exactly do normal human beings, all endowed with that of a conscience, having an awareness of individual responsibility for their judgments and choices; manage to justify in their own eyes the most inhuman atrocities and acts of self-righteousness without running into intolerable cognitive dissonance within their own supreme values?
One way is to dehumanize. Another is to simply not categorize their acts as such and think they are doing God's will. But this probably all starts with some cognitive dissonance whether conscious or not. This is way off track from the issue of the OP though. Moral atrocities are not really the cognitive dissonance I was referring to but what nateswift mentioned.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
One way is to dehumanize. Another is to simply not categorize their acts as such and think they are doing God's will. But this probably all starts with some cognitive dissonance whether conscious or not. This is way off track from the issue of the OP though. Moral atrocities are not really the cognitive dissonance I was referring to but what nateswift mentioned.
I would agree, although I have observed some extreme self-righteousness within this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity