Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 08:33 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

We have had a myriad of threads and discussion on universalism, eternal punishment, etc.

We are never told to focus on the outcome. The Great Commission was not about ascertaining who is and is not saved. It is about making disciples.

What was the message that Jesus gave the apostles to preach? He didn't give them one. He told to go and wait for instructions. The instructions received were carried out initially in Acts 2 when Peter addressed the Men of Judea and Israel. It was a message that focused on God's plan, Christ's sacrifice, and their sin, and it resulted in 3,000+ believing in Christ.

The whole debate about God saving everyone is useless. It is discussed as though we actually have something to do with the outcome... as though God is taking poll numbers on the subject and will decide what to do based on public opinion. That's what America does, not God.

If you desire to please God - preach Christ. Read the first sermons by Peter in the book of Acts and check the content. There is nothing about saving all or eternal punishment. Seek to make disciples instead of seeking to win an argument with which you and I absolutely have zero control.

I am not saying you shouldn't have a position on it, but it should not affect unity in Christ.

Christ thought the unity of believers was important enough to pray to God about in John 17.

It is definitely not worth the big food fight that has been ongoing for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 09:04 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
We have had a myriad of threads and discussion on universalism, eternal punishment, etc.

We are never told to focus on the outcome. The Great Commission was not about ascertaining who is and is not saved. It is about making disciples.

What was the message that Jesus gave the apostles to preach? He didn't give them one. He told to go and wait for instructions. The instructions received were carried out initially in Acts 2 when Peter addressed the Men of Judea and Israel. It was a message that focused on God's plan, Christ's sacrifice, and their sin, and it resulted in 3,000+ believing in Christ.

The whole debate about God saving everyone is useless. It is discussed as though we actually have something to do with the outcome... as though God is taking poll numbers on the subject and will decide what to do based on public opinion. That's what America does, not God.

If you desire to please God - preach Christ. Read the first sermons by Peter in the book of Acts and check the content. There is nothing about saving all or eternal punishment. Seek to make disciples instead of seeking to win an argument with which you and I absolutely have zero control.

I am not saying you shouldn't have a position on it, but it should not affect unity in Christ.

Christ thought the unity of believers was important enough to pray to God about in John 17.

You don’t ignore apostacy and false doctrine. It basically portrays A false god. If I were to treat you like a cat and gave you cat food and squirted you when you sat on the couch, how would you feel? Treating God in a similar fashion by protraying Him differently rather than His character described in the Scriptures is wrong. It is not something you simply ignore.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:06 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Truth never damages a cause that is just.

Mahatma Gandhi

Old 06-19-2018, 09:13 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
You don’t ignore apostacy and false doctrine. It basically portrays A false god. If I were to treat you like a cat and gave you cat food and squirted you when you sat on the couch, how would you feel? Treating God in a similar fashion by protraying Him differently rather than His character described in the Scriptures is wrong. It is not something you simply ignore.
Sure you can. At some point you start looking like them. There's a proverb about that somewhere.

I understand it portrays a false god. But I don't control what they think, and I can't change what they think. God is aware of what people think. He doesn't need my help, and I fully trust Him to handle people as He sees fit.

I have been on C-D for 9 years. I have been through the same arguments with mainly the same people. Nothing has changed.

Again - I am not saying that you shouldn't care, because I care as well... but we simply are not called to have these endless, fruitless debates. We should be about kingdom business first.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:27 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Again - I am not saying that you shouldn't care, because I care as well... but we simply are not called to have these endless, fruitless debates. We should be about kingdom business first

Well worth repeating!

Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Sure you can. At some point you start looking like them. There's a proverb about that somewhere.

I understand it portrays a false god. But I don't control what they think, and I can't change what they think. God is aware of what people think. He doesn't need my help, and I fully trust Him to handle people as He sees fit.

I have been on C-D for 9 years. I have been through the same arguments with mainly the same people. Nothing has changed.

Again - I am not saying that you shouldn't care, because I care as well... but we simply are not called to have these endless, fruitless debates. We should be about kingdom business first.
It's not completely fruitless if your aim is understanding where another person is coming from and you're not aiming to change anyone's mind (except maybe your own). I have to agree with you though that what someone else believes isn't on anyone but themselves.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
You don’t ignore apostasy and false doctrine. It basically portrays A false god. If I were to treat you like a cat and gave you cat food and squirted you when you sat on the couch, how would you feel? Treating God in a similar fashion by portraying Him differently rather than His character described in the Scriptures is wrong. It is not something you simply ignore.
So, you believe it is wrong to torment the cat, yet you believe God would eternally damn his children?

Old 06-19-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Again - I am not saying that you shouldn't care, because I care as well... but we simply are not called to have these endless, fruitless debates. We should be about kingdom business first

Well worth repeating!
Of course, but don't you remove the rotten fruit from the basket?

Old 06-20-2018, 12:03 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,162 times
Quote:

I think the same way.. I will Let God be God and not judge him for what he must do, whatever it is ain't my business.
like you said my business is raisng up folks in the image of Jesus, Our Lord who is our older brother ... we must learn to do as he did .. that is our job.
our job is not to sit in judgement on what God's job is.
Jesus was Jesus and received the right arm of God with power , because he didnt' think he had the right to sit in judgement on the Father or his plans. but he did have just to follow the Father plans..

oops I do that all the time.. well I whine and questioning anyway.. but I can! I am a woman and so OH.. ... I hope I have grace for that anyway :P

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 06-20-2018 at 12:12 AM..

Old 06-20-2018, 12:40 AM

435 posts, read 250,114 times
Quote:
We are never told to focus on the outcome.
The great Apostle, Saint Paul, taught the "outcome" to Timothy & told him what to do with it:

9 This is a trustworthy saying, worthy of full acceptance.

10 To this end we labor and strive, because we have set our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.

11 Command and teach these things

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity