Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 06:53 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,349,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Do what you want is Satan's yoke? For me it was more like: you're not good enough, you'll never be good enough, you're irreparably flawed, you have to die so decent people can have happiness, you don't deserve anything good, you don't matter, you have no worth, stupid woman...

OK technically that's what I was told Jesus yolk was and I know many here will agree especially in light of the fact that I am now leaning toward there really isn't a sentient creator.

Then I got this which I thought to be Jesus (at the time) which I guess some will say is Satan: I would never harm you, refuse anyone (including yourself) that tries to tell you different. You can count on me no matter what; that can never change, you don't have to be anything other than you are, you matter, there's nothing wrong with you besides a tiny bit of stupidity but that's part of your charm.

So even if you think the second one is Satan He/he said nothing about "doing" anything. Of course, this could have all been my doing. Picking up signals from a mother as a child vs as the mother of a child. Seriously, don't call Him a loving parent if you don't want people figuring out what that means.
You expressed this beautifully. Yep, that’s the “Satan” I knew all too well and which still rears it’s ugly head from time to time. Thank God for the saving/healing power of Love.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:31 AM

15,803 posts, read 6,261,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You expressed this beautifully. Yep, that’s the “Satan” I knew all too well and which still rears it’s ugly head from time to time. Thank God for the saving/healing power of Love.
Thanks Pleroo. I was thinking about this the other day and if the phobia and self loathing was still there on some level or really was gone. Sometimes I can't find a trace of it and sometimes I think I can feel it trying to resurface. Then I think of how lucky I was to have the experience that I can confidently say love is stronger than fear.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:08 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,349,101 times
Quote:
Thanks Pleroo. I was thinking about this the other day and if the phobia and self loathing was still there on some level or really was gone. Sometimes I can't find a trace of it and sometimes I think I can feel it trying to resurface. Then I think of how lucky I was to have the experience that I can confidently say love is stronger than fear.
I find, for myself, that I have to be pretty diligent about not letting those "satanic" thoughts get rolling because they pick up speed in a hurry. I used to try to fight them off, head on, but I'm coming to the understanding that if I can just divert my attention from them for a bit with anything not related to them (the other night it was an Ellen DeGeneres stand up routine, lol), Love begins to take over and soothe -- it picks up speed and carries me away from the thoughts that used to destroy me. So as I think about the phrase "my yoke is easy" that's what's coming to mind: relax into the ever present, all encompassing God/Love and let it do it's thing.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:36 AM

22,992 posts, read 10,337,131 times
Luke 22:31
Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:56 PM

9,677 posts, read 9,971,995 times
If you don`t believe in satan than you probably don`t know God or His blessing ...... See satans yoke is confusion , and lies or deceptions , and if you chase after satan yoke than death will be with it ......Where Gods yoke is easy as believers just need to lean on Jesus spirit with faith with the will of God which is the goodness , and Jesus will open doors which could of been closed , and Jesus spirit will lead His children into areas which He will tell them before even with confirmations , so there would be no questions ......... as if there is questions or reasons than there is no faith , and God will not lead people who deny God faith ............Still waiting on the Lord with faith will be a key to His blessing ...

Old 06-24-2018, 05:11 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,710,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
if you don`t believe in satan than you probably don`t know god or his blessing ...... See satans yoke is confusion , and lies or deceptions , and if you chase after satan yoke than death will be with it ......where gods yoke is easy as believers just need to lean on jesus spirit with faith with the will of god which is the goodness , and jesus will open doors which could of been closed , and jesus spirit will lead his children into areas which he will tell them before even with confirmations , so there would be no questions ......... As if there is questions or reasons than there is no faith , and god will not lead people who deny god faith ............still waiting on the lord with faith will be a key to his blessing ...
amen

Old 06-24-2018, 07:33 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,683,804 times
Quote:
If you don`t believe in satan than you probably don`t know God or His blessing ...... See satans yoke is confusion , and lies or deceptions , and if you chase after satan yoke than death will be with it ......Where Gods yoke is easy as believers just need to lean on Jesus spirit with faith with the will of God which is the goodness , and Jesus will open doors which could of been closed , and Jesus spirit will lead His children into areas which He will tell them before even with confirmations , so there would be no questions ......... as if there is questions or reasons than there is no faith , and God will not lead people who deny God faith ............Still waiting on the Lord with faith will be a key to His blessing ...
No, if you see Satan as almost a "god" then you are elevating that being in your life. YOU are responsible for the sins you choose. Satan is just your scapegoat.

Don't blame God's servant, Satan, for your inability to make correct choices in your life.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,941,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Richard is a Jew. The majority of Jews do not think of Satan as evil. They think of him as an agent of God who tempts us to find out for God what choices WE will make---good or evil. No blaming the "Devil" for what we ourselves choose to do.

With my recent exposure to Jewish ideas (reformed) by my son marrying a Jewish woman, I have had a little more personal exposure to some of their ideas.

The idea of Satan as God's agent, who can do nothing without God's permission (see the book of Job), I agree one hundred percent. The good vs evil ideas have been inserted into Christianity by pagan Greek beliefs that infected early Jewish converts to Christianity.

Ask the Rabbi, JewishAnswers.org » The Jewish View of Satan

This more ancient understanding of Satan helps us understand ourselves better and makes demands on us to stay focused on God's total integration into the lives of His people. He doesn't desire to hurt them, but rather desires to see for Himself if our frailties can be overcome by our love of Him.

In this case, the Hebrew understanding of Satan doesn't allow us to make excuses to God for our willingness to be seduced by things which don't honor God.

Richard has a better, more ancient, and more practical understanding of Satan whom too many Christians use as a scapegoat for their own sins.
I’m impressed...You seem to be learning and achieving a deeper understanding...

Old 06-25-2018, 04:22 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,139,624 times
Quote:
But as someone once said----

IF GOD IS FOR US, WHO CAN BE AGAINST US.....

Romans 8:31-39 New Living Translation (NLT)

Nothing Can Separate Us from God’s Love

31 What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us?

32 Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else?

33 Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? No one—for God himself has given us right standing with himself.

34 Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us.

35 Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death?

36 (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.”)

37 No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.

39 No power in the sky above or in the earth belowindeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Not even the imaginary satan can divide us from god.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:26 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,139,624 times
Quote:
Do what you want is Satan's yoke? For me it was more like: you're not good enough, you'll never be good enough, you're irreparably flawed, you have to die so decent people can have happiness, you don't deserve anything good, you don't matter, you have no worth, stupid woman...

OK technically that's what I was told Jesus yolk was and I know many here will agree especially in light of the fact that I am now leaning toward there really isn't a sentient creator.

Then I got this which I thought to be Jesus (at the time) which I guess some will say is Satan: I would never harm you, refuse anyone (including yourself) that tries to tell you different. You can count on me no matter what; that can never change, you don't have to be anything other than you are, you matter, there's nothing wrong with you besides a tiny bit of stupidity but that's part of your charm.

So even if you think the second one is Satan He/he said nothing about "doing" anything. Of course, this could have all been my doing. Picking up signals from a mother as a child vs as the mother of a child. Seriously, don't call Him a loving parent if you don't want people figuring out what that means.
THANK YOU for giving a voice to the dark-side of church. This is what I had listened to for years every time I entered a church...

After the suicide of my third friend who concerned hey could never be good enough for he church, I too decided I no longer needed to worry about being good enough, I was perfect and had no reason to prove it to any Pharisee...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.