Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 04:52 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

I hear most Christians here condemning any "liberal" Christians as if they were heretics. What do conservative Christians think of the more extreme liberal Christian singers like Bono (U2) who is probably off the chart compared to most liberal Christians?

He has said things like Gandhi was the only real Christian he knew about, etc. And that he didn't consider himself to be a Christian sometimes. He has also said that one of the Atheist members of U2 was a "true Christian". Etc.

I'm sure there are other examples like this but he is the first one that comes to mind.

Last edited by OzzyRules; 12-04-2017 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 06:22 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I hear most Christians here condemning any "liberal" Christians as if they were heretics. What do conservative Christians think of the more extreme liberal Christian singers like Bono (U2) who is probably off the chart compared to most liberal Christians?

He has said things like Gandhi was the only real Christian he knew about, etc. And that he didn't consider himself to be a Christian sometimes. He has also said that one of the Atheist members of U2 was a "true Christian". Etc.

I'm sure there are other examples like this but he is the first one that comes to mind.
My first thought is that he isn't a christian at all,
but gloms onto the christian churches in hopes that
his god might go easier on him.

But you never know, I wouldn't have known
that Alice Cooper is a Christian, but for an
interview they did with him a few years ago.

We can examine the fruit in a man's life (not just his words,
and not just his works) and make an educated guess of his
walk with God, but it is impossible to actually know.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:17 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
My first thought is that he isn't a christian at all,
but gloms onto the christian churches in hopes that
his god might go easier on him.

But you never know, I wouldn't have known
that Alice Cooper is a Christian, but for an
interview they did with him a few years ago.

We can examine the fruit in a man's life (not just his words,
and not just his works) and make an educated guess of his
walk with God, but it is impossible to actually know.
Do you really think that Alice Cooper is a better Christian than Bono just because of the things he says and believes in his heart?

Don't you think that the outward expression of the Heart, action, is more important than what a person believes?

Old 12-04-2017, 07:23 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Since I'm not God, it's not up to me to judge Bono or Alice Cooper. If you think you're God, then stand on that throne of judgement. Apparently many consider themselves God. I hope you/they enjoy the blasphemy of your actions.

The music is there for enjoyment. I can listen to and appreciate music more when I'm not judging. I leave to God what rightfully belongs to him. Humans suck at judging the hearts of others. And all this labelling crap ("liberals") is for pussees (sic). Humans suck at labelling people. It's all the same shyt.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-04-2017 at 07:31 PM..

Old 12-04-2017, 07:50 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,162 times
personally I don't care if either are saved..

they are just men like anyone else.
Now if either identifies me as their sister because there is a core of the same truth and experience and the same heart of worship of our God in common.. , then I will identify with them as a brother.. a family knows each other by their lifestyle and their family ties and experiences .

Old 12-04-2017, 08:09 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
I heard U2 on the way home. I thought the lyrics to A Beautiful Day had that message to them.

Touch me
Take me to that other place
Reach me
I know I'm not a hopeless case
What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow
What you don't have you don't need it now
Don't need it now
Was a beautiful day

Old 12-05-2017, 12:26 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Do you really think that Alice Cooper is a better Christian than Bono just because of the things he says and believes in his heart?

Don't you think that the outward expression of the Heart, action, is more important than what a person believes?
No. Faith is the really important thing in Christianity. Remember, the Scriptures say that without faith, it is impossible to please God.

All else follows. Look at Ephesians 2:8-10. Read it carefully. Look at it in a half dozen translations (unless you know the Greek, then look at the Greek). Look at the context. The surrounding verses, the whole book, and all of Paul's writings. Faith is foremost, and faith is central.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:18 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
No. Faith is the really important thing in Christianity. Remember, the Scriptures say that without faith, it is impossible to please God.

All else follows. Look at Ephesians 2:8-10. Read it carefully. Look at it in a half dozen translations (unless you know the Greek, then look at the Greek). Look at the context. The surrounding verses, the whole book, and all of Paul's writings. Faith is foremost, and faith is central.
Faith is built on the foundation of love.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:26 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
personally I don't care if either are saved..

they are just men like anyone else.
Now if either identifies me as their sister because there is a core of the same truth and experience and the same heart of worship of our God in common.. , then I will identify with them as a brother.. a family knows each other by their lifestyle and their family ties and experiences .
so you would"judge"their lifestyle in terms of measuring up to what you believe?

Should they only measure up in 6 out of 7 categories?

Should they only measure up in 4 out of 7 categories?

Just how similar does one have to be to your interpretation to be "identified" as a brother?

Just me asking from the feet of Jesus....

Old 12-05-2017, 03:28 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:

So Christ was once again WRONG when He said LOVE is the GREATEST and most really important thing in terms to having a relationship with GOD??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity