Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 06:42 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I hate what religion does to some people.

I see evidence of the damage in posts here daily. Like some people can't handle alcohol, some people can't handle religion.
ooppps, you did it again ... yet another tidbit of gold...

I definitely can talk about people reacting to religion like people reacting to alcohol. for me, it keeps the responsibility where it belongs, the person, but does bridge the gap to a non-living thing as the reactant that we need to understand and handle with care ... not good enough .... extreme caution.

I hate to admit it trout, you may have offered me help in closing the gap between me and the anti-religious sects. I can easily talk about religion like alcohol.

The people that look back and hate alcohol for destroying lives can say that, it's not unreasonable. But, the fact is, it is what it is too.

if some people got you, they would laugh their jewels off and learn something too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 11:54 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I hate what religion does to some people.

I see evidence of the damage in posts here daily. Like some people can't handle alcohol, some people can't handle religion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So true. I’m a recovering religionist.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:12 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I like learning more about both religion and alcohol!

Old 07-17-2018, 04:27 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Who and what is this Berean Church?
What are their beliefs?

And typical of a number of Evangelicals separating themselves from the word "religion", which they are somehow not part of.

Evangelical Christians always distance themselves from the word "religion", and have some sort of aversion to the word.
Whether they like it or not, they are part of a religion.
The reference is to the church in Berea whose members checked in scripture what Paul taught.

The word religion carries a connotation of a system of forms and practices as opposed to the "personal relationship" many evangelicals claim to have.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:51 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,543 times

the scriptures shows that there's ONLY one true teaching. it's either from the word of Jehovah through his MANY writers ,(2Pet. 1:20,21 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost). or by satan, who misguides people by blinding them from the truth ,(2Cor. 4:4). you said "dead religions that demonstrates no true power", when referring to "Christianity". but Jesus warned his true followers, that there will be fake people infiltrating, pretending to be Godly ,(Matt.24:5- For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many). these that deceive ALSO call themselves "Christians", and they do deceive with false teachings. the are shown the truth, but they choose to ignore them.

MANY teaches Jesus is the Father, and / or Almighty God, even though Jesus said MANY TIMES, he has one, (John 20:17). yet some have tried to explain his words away. even though MANY can repeat what Jesus himself has said at (John 3:16), in their sleep , "for God so love the world...". combining worldly celebrations with spiritual things is NOT of God. MOST "Christian" religion tries to convince themselves that it is. but the most deceptive teaching that I find from MANY "Christians". is the fact that they allow or make it seem that it's ok to live in sin, even though they preach God's words NOT to. how so?, for one, look at the MANY couples who live together, but NOT married, can we say... fornication! we're allowing satan to fool us if we believe nothing going on there. some ministers allow such action and more into their place of worship. but God said these won't enter the Kingdom ,(1Cor. 6:9).

just want to have an excuse to participate in them. true teachings comes from Jehovah God, not man. yet MANY will follow the teachings of man, who's also fooled by satan ,(2Tim. 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived). this is why we have to do research to see if what someone's teaching us is the truth ,(1John 4:1 Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world). then we must leave that place if we find ANY discrepancies between their teachings and Jehovah God's words ,(Isa. 52:11 Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean thing; go ye out of the midst of her; be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the LORD).

we have to be taught, if Jesus sent men to teach then, he's sending them now, up to then End ,(Matt. 28:18-20). and he WASN'T just referring to in a place of worship. but in every house ,(Matt. 10:11-15), see also (Acts 5:42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ). and anywhere in between, we must find those who want to be taught. (Acts 8:26-31), here Jehovah told Philip to get up and Go to the man who was reading from Isaiah. when he asked if the man knew what he was reading. he basically responded with ,how would I know if no one teaches me. proof scripturally we can't believe that one can just pick up the bible, and understand everything. and what human on Earth, has the Power to make a bad situation in general better? that can ONLY be done by means of Jehovah God through his Son Jesus. I do agree, Jesus sent his Father's...Holy Spirit, to guide his followers. keeping them on the right path, by trying hard to FOLLOW Jesus lead ,(Matt. 10:38. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me). peace

Old 07-18-2018, 08:27 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
If you *hate* something, either learn more about it and help fix it, or move to something healthy.

We don't need any more griping and complaining. Our world has plenty of that already. Be part of the solution, instead of more of the problem.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:40 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,163,972 times
We all should hate religion......don't even like using the word.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:46 PM

19,705 posts, read 20,232,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
We all should hate religion......don't even like using the word.
I'm curious, what's up with all the hate? It seems like most people who hate the idea of God or religion had it imposed upon them in childhood...

Is that correct?

I was not raised with religion, so I don't harbor that hatred towards it...

What's up?

Old 02-10-2020, 11:30 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I'm curious, what's up with all the hate? It seems like most people who hate the idea of God or religion had it imposed upon them in childhood...

Is that correct?

I was not raised with religion, so I don't harbor that hatred towards it...

What's up?
Impose-force something that is unwelcome or unfamiliar

I think you're onto something.

The Bible does state train your kids from youth on up so they don't deviate from following God. However, it all depends on how one does the training. It fell apart for some during that time. just my two cents.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:51 AM

709 posts, read 377,848 times
I agree your concerns, but when I visited in that Berean church worship video it looks just like another Pentecost etc. churches. high emotion, strange spirit churches of the world.

No one seems to be concerned about the fact that todays churches looks or sound or feel nothing like the churches in early days. Whole different spirit seems to be, but almost no one care.

And it is because we are living in last days. It's almost impossible to sow good seed inside you heart because this world is willing it, and churches are here just to make things worse, by teaching they strange ways which just are not for christians.

That high emotions state are like some kind of need for instant rewarding state, but try to find some self-control instead, so the real understanding may come in you. For that you may need some practice, and the reward comes from time, but it's real reward. Not just some high emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity