Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2018, 03:52 PM

435 posts, read 250,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

He calls my God a monster
Many call the God of the Scriptures, who is my God, an eternal torturer (i.e. monster).

Does that include you? Do you believe in everlasting torments?

Do you think God will damn forever those who never believed in this life because they never heard? Do you actually think other people's salvation depends on you preaching to them?

If you think Love Omnipotent's love is finite & expires like a carton of milk so He can torture most of His creatures called human beings in fire with immortal worms eating them for all endless trillions X trillions X trillions of eons, forever and ever and ever, you will have to prove it.

https://www.tentmaker.org/books/hope_beyond_hell.pdf

Unique Proof For Christian, Biblical Universalism

Eternity in the Bible by Gerry Beauchemin – Hope Beyond Hell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 04:01 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
Many call the God of the Scriptures, who is my God, an eternal torturer (i.e. monster).
Yes many do, mostly atheists and universalists who are offended by the scriptures.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Sentence someone to death for his own good?
Death is merely an occurrence that sends a person out of this world & into another realm. If that realm to which he is sent is corrective, then where he goes is for his own good (e.g. Sodom & Gomorrah, the flood in Noah's day; Lk.16:19-31; 1 Pet.3:18-20; 4:6).

Quote:
But of course you have no way of knowing the exact nature of this merciless judgment. No one does.
Given that (1) Scripture teaches universalism, & (2) God is love & good & (3) many passages reveal his punishments (& wrath, anger, chastening, judgement, etc) are for the good of offenders & (4) there are no passages to the contrary & (5) God does not change, & (6) etc, i infer that His judgements without mercy are always for the good of offenders (see e.g. 1 Cor.5:4-5; 1 Tim.1:19-20).

Last edited by ClementofA; 07-28-2018 at 04:31 PM..

Old 07-28-2018, 04:17 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Another poster already said it does not always happen, and it results in merciless judgment, so we are trying to figure our what that means.
Do you know what merciless judgment means?
The phrase krisis anileōs is the equivalent of "a consequence that does not involve any external judgment or punishment," just a consequence. The judgment is implicit in krisis and the lack of mercy in anileōs implies it is not subject to any authority. It is the equivalent of "reaping whatever you sow." The real word for mercy is eleos and can be sourced from men or God or Jesus.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 07-28-2018 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-28-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Yes many do, mostly atheists and universalists who are offended by the scriptures.
From my extensive online forum experiences debating with eternal tormentists, many are ridiculously ignorant of (A) what universalism teaches & (B) what the Scriptures say.

I'm sure many atheists would wish their enemies be tortured, or even suffer forever. ECT is the typical Muslim doctrine.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Death is merely an occurrence that sends a person out of this world & into another realm.
James is not talking about physical death, but merciless judgment after death.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
James is not talking about physical death, but merciless judgment after death.
In any case, he doesn't refer to an endless merciless punishment. If that were his view, don't you think this would have been a good time to mention it?

Old 07-28-2018, 05:20 PM

168 posts, read 69,370 times
Quote:
Considering that God alone has immortality, i wonder if it is correct to say angels cannot die or be annihilated. I wonder if the comparison in Lk.20:35-36 means angels do not marry. But as regards the destiny of all created beings, even so-called fallen angels, i concur.

https://reforminghell.com/7-myths-about-universalism/
Definition: Immortality - because he possesses it essentially

John 5:26 For as the Father has life in Himself,

God is the source of all life, Immortality is also from him.

Luke 20:35 But those who are counted worthy to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage; 36 nor can they die anymore, for they are equal to the angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.

1 Cor 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

Jesus was speaking about the 1st resurrection, were they can not die and are equal to the angels.

Then paul says of the 1st resurrection, they will be raise with immortal spiritual body.

I would say that does mean the angels are immortal, as Christ was the 1st resurrected to eternal life.

I think when they say God alone has immortality, it's not he alone is immortal, but that he alone has immortality to be given to others, he is the source.

John 5:26 For as the Father has life in Himself,

What do you think?

Old 07-28-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
In any case, he doesn't refer to an endless merciless punishment. If that were his view, don't you think this would have been a good time to mention it?
Well, since you have not been able to explain what merciless judgment is, we'll just have to assume you have no clue.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:46 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,120 times
Quote:
Heinous, heathen monster......

Even if you were convinced you are right, why would you call anyones god such names when you know people have placed their faith in that god? This the problem with people like you who talk about love, but yet routinely act in an arrogant and insulting manner. It is not just you, but all universalists, and not just sometimes, but all the time. That is how I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that what you are selling is fake.

By their fruits you shall know them (false teachers). It is your own mouth that betrays you.
Some people place their faith in abominable men too, men like Charles Manson and Hitler. Would you be offended if they were rightly called by the nature of their character. Therefore, when people describe the One True God with a false character, some people rightly get offended. Is that too confusing for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity