Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 10:18 AM

15,797 posts, read 6,223,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I see no harm in wanting eternal life in the resurrection...it's better than wanting a drink, ya know

I'm not saying this is anyone here...but, don't u find often people suffering 'here' look 'ahead'...to the Afterlife...where the grass is greener...the end of suffering.
When suffering with so many hardships this place can have, oh brother...that's the best we can do, at first.
That's why Jesus and missionaries feed the people first before preaching...take their immediate hardship out of the forefront of their exp...then, they might see something truly 'higher'.

My take.. otherwise known as an unasked for comment.
That's a really insightful point. Isn't that the "immediate need Jesus takes out of the way" for his followers in a spiritual way? Death has been overcome. Salvation is assured. acceptance is assured, love is assured, you are secure in this world where everything is a judgement against us. In a world that judges you by any number of arbitrary measures and make you feel less than or not good enough. It's a done deal. You don't have to be afraid of anything so focus on the higher. I think the higher is bringing forth within us the divine.

So I wouldn't fault anyone for being concerned about that just that they are being distracted by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 10:19 AM

175 posts, read 74,990 times
Quote:
What's your take on that...the word 'only'? Cuz at first glance that sentence seems silly....you would be a happy man to place your hope in Christ , right?

(Do me a favor...would you put the Ch and v on quotes...thanks a lot)

Yes, let's get that one right. 1 Corinthians 15. Paul is saying that if Jesus didn't rise from the dead, the Christian hope is a false one and Christians are living a delusion. Following Jesus might still be a desirable way to live, but the entire foundation would be illusory.
12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:21 AM

32,930 posts, read 26,160,446 times
Quote:
What kind of effort do you think it takes to grow in the grace
and knowledge of our Lord? (Knowledge is a BIG word...it's root is 'to know'...
ha, to know in Greek is 'to know'.)

Oh, I make myself laugh...
To grow spiritually the believer has to make constant decisions to acknowledge his sins to God when he has sinned in order to be filled with the spirit so that he is in a position to walk in the spirit. He has to make decisions to expose himself to Bible teaching in order to learn the word of God. It takes effort to apply the word of God to your life. It takes effort to pick up your cross and follow Jesus. It takes effort to keep your priorities in life straight so that you put God first in your life. The point is that there are things you must do in order to grow spiritually. It doesn't happen automatically. The believer is often tested in certain ways by God. Tested in the sense of the way a muscle is tested against resistance in order to strengthen and grow. It can take great effort to pass those tests whether it be people testing, thought testing, disaster testing, or some other form of testing.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,225,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
Yes, let's get that one right. 1 Corinthians 15. Paul is saying that if Jesus didn't rise from the dead, the Christian hope is a false one and Christians are living a delusion.
Following Jesus might still be a desirable way to live, but the entire foundation would be illusory.
12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied. Because we're stupid. Oh, I'm sorry that's not in this verse. It's penciled in in mine.
So it was 1 Cor 15:19...thanks.
It was great of you to take the time to post all that.
I like when people understand 'illusory'.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
To grow spiritually the believer has to make constant decisions to acknowledge his sins to God when he has sinned in order to be filled with the spirit so that he is in a position to walk in the spirit. He has to make decisions to expose himself to Bible teaching in order to learn the word of God. It takes effort to apply the word of God to your life. It takes effort to pick up your cross and follow Jesus. It takes effort to keep your priorities in life straight so that you put God first in your life. The point is that there are things you must do in order to grow spiritually. It doesn't happen automatically. The believer is often tested in certain ways by God. Tested in the sense of the way a muscle is tested against resistance in order to strengthen and grow. It can take great effort to pass those tests whether it be people testing, thought testing, disaster testing, or some other form of testing.
I appreciate the thought you put into this.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:56 AM

18,845 posts, read 6,863,248 times
Quote:
That's all...for you or in Christianity is Jesus the goal/Goal?
Discuss however you'd like.
Thanks
Yes. But which Jesus are you talking about? Jesus, the 2nd person of the Trinity, or Jesus the pool guy.

I like Jesus the 2nd person of the Trinity, myself.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. But which Jesus are you talking about? Jesus, the 2nd person of the Trinity, or Jesus the pool guy.
Are you gay,BF? Does Haysoos the pool guy interest you?

Old 08-02-2018, 11:30 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,075,915 times
Quote:
Are you gay,BF? Does Haysoos the pool guy interest you?
So long as my pool is algae free, I am interested in the pool guy...on a strictly microbial level...

Old 08-02-2018, 11:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,075,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Is there really just 2 Jesus personality to choose between?

Old 08-02-2018, 12:21 PM

10,955 posts, read 7,015,714 times
Jesus isn't a goal or the destination. He's not as a noun, and not static or fixed.

He's more like the journey or travel partner; more like a verb, action, way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity