Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 04:29 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

I heard eternity explained this way. Imagine the tallest mountain in the world. Every one-hundred years (ie once per century) a bird flies over the top of it carrying a feather in its mouth. The feather is used to "scoop" away at the mountain.

You can imagine how long it would take to clear the entire mountain down at that rate, correct?

Well, think about this. After a TRILLION mountains had already been cleared away by this method, then that would only be the beginning of eternity. And imagine being in unbearable, excruciating torment all that time.

That's how it will be for anyone who doesn't accept the speaker's stated "plan of salvation".

What do you think of this evangelical message?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 05:03 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I heard eternity explained this way. Imagine the tallest mountain in the world. Every one-hundred years (ie once per century) a bird flies over the top of it carrying a feather in its mouth. The feather is used to "scoop" away at the mountain.

You can imagine how long it would take to clear the entire mountain down at that rate, correct?

Well, think about this. After a TRILLION mountains had already been cleared away by this method, then that would only be the beginning of eternity. And imagine being in unbearable, excruciating torment all that time.

That's how it will be for anyone who doesn't accept the speaker's stated "plan of salvation".

Those teachers do not know God. His justice scales are balanced, uncorruptable. He taught all that balance, an eye for an eye.

So for 70-100 years of unrepented sin, God could never condemn one for-Trillions x trillions x trillions, etc of never ending years of suffering--Only a sadist God could create such a reality---God is love--He set before-ALL- LIFE- or DEATH--both will be everlasting. Deuteronomy 30:19. Eternal suffering teachings are symbolism in the NT.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Those teachers do not know God. His justice scales are balanced, uncorruptable. He taught all that balance, an eye for an eye.

So for 70-100 years of unrepented sin, God could never condemn one for-Trillions x trillions x trillions, etc of never ending years of suffering--Only a sadist God could create such a reality---God is love--He set before-ALL- LIFE- or DEATH--both will be everlasting. Deuteronomy 30:19. Eternal suffering teachings are symbolism in the NT.
I don't think that most Christians would agree with you. But I don't think that traditional Christianity is really based on the Bible.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:18 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
To me it would make zero sense for a Loving God to punish someone for eternity for sins they did up to 120yrs in the flesh. Would have been better not to make them at all vs have them be a blip on the radar of time and roast them afterwards.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:26 PM

A trillion mountains. Do Christians really believe this?

Old 08-07-2018, 08:31 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Eternity is also 2 hours in a dentist's chair with an infected root canal.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Eternity is also 2 hours in a dentist's chair with an infected root canal.
Honestly, I think a lot of what is in the Bible was originally intended to be good-natured humor. So they use exaggeration for the same purpose.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Honestly, I think a lot of what is in the Bible was originally intended to be good-natured humor. So they use exaggeration for the same purpose.

What exaggeration?

Old 08-07-2018, 08:54 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:

I think...it sounds confusing.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:08 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
.. And imagine being in unbearable, excruciating torment all that time.
HahahahahahLOL...can't stop
I had no idea where this was going...you got me...what do I think? ...pretty nutty idea.

If anyone really got what eternity was, you're right, after reading this explanation, coupled with torment...and then thought someone would be sent there, by a Father God or some intelligent consciousness... for not
believing in Jesus or not being able to not make any mistakes they call sin according to some plan
of salvation....they have something in them that is 'off'...wrong inside...and I don't usually say things like that ...but, really, 'something' is not being honest inside that person.

Hellish torment for as long as 2 mountains were feathered down to nubs would be too long.
But people here actually do use the term eternal hell a lot here.
It makes my loving Father look insane and evil.

I chatted with a guy at a 7/11 today...his girlfriend had stabbed him, collapsed his lung, HE
got arrested , so many terrible things happened to him thru the law....and he has
totally forgiven her!
He wasn't too bright, missing teeth, speech impediment, named Fernando, (I talk with a lot of street type people).
Point is: if HE can forgive his girlfriend....just think how much forgiveness and humor is in our Creator.
As IF He/She /It would do such a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity