Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 08:13 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times

Advertisements

I don't see the same thing. When I visit most conservative Lutheran churches, the balance is about 50/50 men and women. Most of the churches have several single men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 09:15 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,007,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
Same here. I've belonged to several churches and visited many more in my 61 years and have not once heard such a sermon. Raised Catholic but belonged to mainstream Protestant churches as an adult.

My husband goes to church of his volition; if I'm working or indisposed he goes by himself. In fact, there are just as many men as women in the congregations of the churches we've belonged to.

I'll have to take others' words for it that there are emasculating churches out there. Maybe it's an evangelical or fundamentalist thing.
No, it's a leadership thing...not all leaders are natural born or 'anointed'.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:44 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Could be because women outnumber men. I think there are other reasons as well. Years ago I used to drag my husband to church with me. He never really wanted to go .

Bingo!

Organized religion requires more of an emotional commitment than some men are willing to commit to, while more women may find emotional commitment easier to deal with.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:14 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,007,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Could be because women outnumber men. I think there are other reasons as well. Years ago I used to drag my husband to church with me. He never really wanted to go.
This ^ too... actually, all of it for some spouses in general.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:00 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
In my church, its like 2-1 women compared to men and most other churches Ive visited is always like that as well, and alot of times its seems like 3/4 women to every 1 man.

What is is about church that seems to keep so many men away?

There is a certain alure for women in loving a beautiful man who loves them back unconditionally. Men often find loving a beautiful bearded woman somewhat less alluring.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Bingo!

Organized religion requires more of an emotional commitment than some men are willing to commit to, while more women may find emotional commitment easier to deal with.
Agreed, but I think that can be chalked up to personality than sex. I’m the one who needs to be coax into going to church, for the same reason I need to be coaxed into going to parties, cook-outs, etc, while my husband is the one thrives on all of that. He’s an outgoing people person, who loves making connections with people... while I, by the time the weekend rolls around, am completely “peopled-out”. Church is a sensory overload, and can be exhausting and overwhelming for those of us who are more introverted.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:48 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times
Because God loved Jacob and hated Esau.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:12 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What weird kind of church do you attend that addresses marriage and relationship problems in sermons?

If your church isn't addressing these issues then they are failing their congregations. Jesus addressed these issues in his messages. Why wouldn't the church continue to do so?

Old 08-11-2018, 11:24 AM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
If your church isn't addressing these issues then they are failing their congregations. Jesus addressed these issues in his messages. Why wouldn't the church continue to do so?
Because it likely isn't applicable to a lot of the parishioners. We are a small parish. Many people are single/widowed/divorced, some are gay in or out of committed relationships. We're not a cutesy little bubble of a church where everyone has a Leave-it-to-Beaver perfect life and hairdo to match.

People in my church are there to seek community with others on their spiritual journeys, not be lectured on ancient Middle Eastern marriage norms. "Love one another" is sufficient, and sermons are based on some form of that message.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:13 PM

63,773 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Because it likely isn't applicable to a lot of the parishioners. We are a small parish. Many people are single/widowed/divorced, some are gay in or out of committed relationships. We're not a cutesy little bubble of a church where everyone has a Leave-it-to-Beaver perfect life and hairdo to match.

People in my church are there to seek community with others on their spiritual journeys, not be lectured on ancient Middle Eastern marriage norms. "Love one another" is sufficient, and sermons are based on some form of that message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity