Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 01:58 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The bible got a lot of things wrong. That's just one more.
hahaha; the hubris and arrogance in your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, Sophiasmommy. you are confusing an organization with a way of life. "The Way, Inc" or however they style themselves got their name from what the earliest Christians called themselves (see Acts 9:22 and 22:4)
so that those of us who identify and deny the doctrines of men that have plagued the church from the beginning identify the basic message of Jesus as the Way. May I suggest that you commit Matthew 5:43-48 to memory and consider everything you do in that light? That, in a nutshell, is the Way.
Ok, prove that you're not a member of The Way. here's their link and what they believe in, tell me where you disagree with them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_International

Differences with traditional Christianity
The Way International rejects the Trinity.[24] Unlike God, Jesus is not omniscient, omnipotent, nor omnipresent. At the same time, Jesus did not exist before his birth except in the foreknowledge of God; at his conception, God created the sperm to fertilize Mary's ovum, and is the literal father of Jesus. Joseph and Mary married soon after she became pregnant with Jesus and had sexual relations after the birth of Jesus.[35][51][52]

Agree or disagree with this?

In "Receiving the Holy Spirit Today", The Way believes Holy Spirit is a direct reference to God, rather than a separate entity or person. This term is contrasted with the "holy spirit", which is a reference to a "divine gift" from God.[53] Wierwille claimed that English translators of the Bible missed this distinction, and that Greek manuscripts were written in uncial script, which further confused the subject.[6] The Way also posits that there are nine manifestations of the holy spirit and every born again Christian can inherently operate all nine. The list is derived from I Corinthians 12:7–10. Speaking in tongues, energizes the "effectual operation" of the other eight manifestations. Speaking in tongues holds an important place in The Way's doctrine for this reason.

In contrast to Evangelical and Roman Catholic Christians, The Way teaches that abortion is not murder as a fetus does not have "breath life" and therefore does not have its "living soul" until it takes its breath when born.[69]

Old 08-18-2018, 02:02 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Apparently several posters in this thread belong to a cult called The Way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_International
I don't know anything about The Way International, except for what I just read in your link which I just skimmed through.

In the early church, before followers of Jesus were called Christians, they were referred to as followers of the Way.
Acts 9:1 Now Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest, 2] and asked for letters from him to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.
But yes, some of the people who post on this forum and identify themselves as Christians reject much of what the Bible says.

I should point out also, that while it is a legitimate term, moderators don't allow the use of the word 'cult.'

Old 08-18-2018, 02:08 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Ok, prove that you're not a member of The Way. here's their link and what they believe in, tell me where you disagree with them:
Seriously? I am not affiliated with ANY religious organization but The Religious Society of Friends and don't intend to discuss that particular one.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I don't know anything about The Way International, except for what I just read in your link which I just skimmed through.

In the early church, before followers of Jesus were called Christians, they were referred to as followers of the Way.
Acts 9:1 Now Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest, 2] and asked for letters from him to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.
But yes, some of the people who post on this forum and identify themselves as Christians reject much of what the Bible says.

I should point out also, that while it is a legitimate term, moderators don't allow the use of the word 'cult.'
Oh, I know all about that. You can't be a true born again Christian and pick and choose which parts of the Bible you like, and which you reject; Christianity isn't a spiritual buffet. It's not about us, it's about HIM. It's sad how many people try to conform the Bible around their beliefs instead of trying to conform their beliefs around the Bible.

Did'nt know about the "cult" rule, seems like a silly rule, but I'll delete it, so as not to offend any mods. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Oh, I know all about that. You can't be a true born again Christian and pick and choose which parts of the Bible you like, and which you reject; Christianity isn't a spiritual buffet. It's not about us, it's about HIM. It's sad how many people try to conform the Bible around their beliefs instead of trying to conform their beliefs around the Bible.

Didn't know about the "cult" rule, seems like a silly rule, but I'll delete it, so as not to offend any mods. Thanks for the heads up.
I guess you only have so much time to edit posts, I was able to delete the word from one, but not the others. Oh well, I tried.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:19 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
You're lying right now. All humans get jealous, are selfish, greedy, lie, brag, etc. at certain times sin their lives. To deny that, as you just did, is to only confirm it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Reverse psychology doesn't work on mature adults. And no, all humans do not get jealous, nor do they lie, cheat or steal, etc. Just because you have come to believe that, doesn't make it true. Try taking responsibility for your own action, instead of placing them on other people.
Quote:
So you don't sin? You've kinda painted yourself in a corner if you're making that claim, because it has been posted several times:

If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us. 1 John 1:10

Run, don't walk from The Way.
You should plow the field of your own mind, before attempting to plant that seed of self-loathing.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:21 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:

Did'nt know about the "cult" rule, seems like a silly rule, but I'll delete it, so as not to offend any mods. Thanks for the heads up.
Just out of curiosity, what do you know about the origin of the doctrine of "Sola Scriptura?"

Old 08-18-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you know about the origin of the doctrine of "Sola Scriptura?"
I believe that the Bible is God inspired and literal except for parables and allegories.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You should plow the field of your own mind, before attempting to plant that seed of self-loathing.
I'm sorry, but i don't know what this means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity