Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:23 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,438,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The scriptures are full of warnings, including the words of Jesus.

Matthew 11:20-22
Then He began to denounce the cities in which most of His miracles were done, because they did not repent. "Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles had occurred in Tyre and Sidon which occurred in you, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. "Nevertheless I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon in the day of judgment than for you.”

Matthew 24:19-21
"But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! "But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath. "For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will.”
Some Christians read a lot that isn’t there into bible verses based on their belief in a wrathful, vengeful God and a wild “end times” scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 11:35 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Some Christians read a lot that isn’t there into bible verses based on their belief in a wrathful, vengeful God and a wild “end times” scenario.
I have trouble understanding that mindset and the "why" of the fixation on it and more creepily, the apparent desire for it to be true.

If you smugly believe you are saved from this destruction, then why aren't you just content to go on your merry way? The pat answer to the "why" question is usually that they feel obligated to warn or some such, but that simply doesn't ring true. People who desire such a scenario to be true--that some will be saved and rewarded and some will be destroyed aren't the type of people who care enough about others to "warn" them of danger. It seems to me to be simply a self-serving mindset all around, another version of "I am superior/better/CHOSEN" and you are not, neh neh, neh neh neh."

Old 08-12-2018, 11:45 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,620,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
We are clearly living in the last days of this age.
I’m gonna bet you’re an old fart and death is on your doorstep. So I agree, your are living your last days.

May you meet jesus today.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:45 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,850,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have trouble understanding that mindset and the "why" of the fixation on it and more creepily, the apparent desire for it to be true.

If you smugly believe you are saved from this destruction, then why aren't you just content to go on your merry way? The pat answer to the "why" question is usually that they feel obligated to warn or some such, but that simply doesn't ring true. People who desire such a scenario to be true--that some will be saved and rewarded and some will be destroyed aren't the type of people who care enough about others to "warn" them of danger. It seems to me to be simply a self-serving mindset all around, another version of "I am superior/better/CHOSEN" and you are not, neh neh, neh neh neh."
If Jesus spoke about it, why do you consider it unimportant? Is it not applicable to today?

Old 08-12-2018, 11:58 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,961,816 times
Quote:
The trouble is that people have been saying exactly what you're saying for centuries. End of the world, all the signs, etc. etc. etc. I remember hearing how we are in the last days as a child in the 1960s. All those long-dead people who believed just as you do that they were special and going to see those last days and be the ones laughing over the destruction of the unsaved were wrong. You are, too.

Instead of spending your life waiting with anticipation for terrible things to happen to people you don't even know, why not live your days doing something that makes the world a better place?
The trouble is people who ignore what Jesus said to their own peril. There is a HUGE convergence of signs nowadays that no other generation can claim.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Let's hope that's not the mindset of most. But for those whom it is, it can't becoming from a heart that experiences much love or joy, and that is unfortunate for them.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Matthew 24
[3] And as he [Jesus] sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
[4] And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
[5] For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
[6] And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
[7] For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
[8] All these are the beginning of sorrows.
[9] Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
[10] And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
[11] And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
[12] And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
[13] But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
[14] And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

No other generation could have preached the gospel in all the world without modern technology.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:09 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,396,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Let's hope that's not the mindset of most. But for those whom it is, it can't becoming from a heart that experiences much love or joy, and that is unfortunate for them.
Very true Pleroo, when you live in the moment of knowing that you are absolutely loved and lose yourself in it, you just can't comprehend that the world is not loved in the same manner too. All these warnings and threats are only for those who although they say they are under grace are still under the law.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:10 PM

"Israel Back in the Land - God promised to bring the Jewish people back into the land of Israel before He returned (Jeremiah 23:7-8). He said He would call them from "among the nations" (Ezekiel 39:28), from "the farthest corners of the earth" (Isaiah 11:12), and from "north, south, east, and west" (Psalm 107:3).

He promised to welcome them home from the lands where they were scattered (Ezekiel 20:34). When they did, He promised to return and establish His everlasting kingdom (Isaiah 11:11-12).

The Jews Back in Jerusalem - Jesus said armies would surround Jerusalem, destroy the city, and enslaves its citizens. This happened in A.D. 70 when the Roman legions did exactly that.

Jesus then said people other than the Jews would control Jerusalem for a time, then the Jewish people would once again control Jerusalem. When they did, Jesus promised to return (Luke 21:24-28). Since 1967, the Jewish people have been in possession of Jerusalem and will be celebrating their 50 year reunification this June."

The Number One Prophetic Sign: Convergence

Old 08-12-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Very true Pleroo, when you live in the moment of knowing that you are absolutely loved and lose yourself in it, you just can't comprehend that the world is not loved in the same manner too. All these warnings and threats are only for those who although they say they are under grace are still under the law.
And self-imposed condemnation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity